Jump to content

Photo

Childhood beliefs as an adult


  • Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 rodent

rodent

    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 18,759 posts

    Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:11 AM

    I was listening to a radio show the other day (this american life) & the topic was things you were misled about as a kid & never figured out were wrong until you were an adult.

    one of the stories was about a lady who thought the School Xing signs was pronounced "School Zing." One day while walking with a coworker through the parking lot 6 geese walked passed them and she said, "they should put a Geese Zing sign there." That is when she learned that Zing isn't a real world.

    so my friends & I started talking about our stories. I believed that penciles will give you lead poisoning until a few years ago when Mike explained that they had graphite in them and teachers just said the thing about lead poisoning to keep kids from poking each other with penciles.

    Share your stories...

    #2 Emily&Matt

    Emily&Matt
    • Newbie
    • 144 posts

      Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:24 AM

      I thought if you toasted bread it would have less calories - like the calories were burned off or something! So I insisted my mother had to make me toast sandwiches all through high school, instead of "raw" bread!

      #3 1elephant

      1elephant
      • VIP Member
      • 15,998 posts

        Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:31 AM

        i don't know how long i believed these - they weren't adult beliefs, but the best i can do

        when i was younger, my mom didn't like to give me sugary cereals. when we went to visit my aunt in long island, i would always have cocoa krispies. one day, i was in the supermarket with my mom and i said "look! cocoa krispies!" my mom told me they were just advertising for the stores in long island.

        the ice cream man would always pass by my house right before dinner. my mom always told me he was taking a test run.

        know how right before a commercial, a show will say "___ is brought to you by ___"? dh grew up thinking the verb was "broughtoyoud"

        #4 rodent

        rodent

          VIP Member

        • VIP Member
        • 18,759 posts

          Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:34 AM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by lauren
          i don't know how long i believed these - they weren't adult beliefs, but the best i can do

          when i was younger, my mom didn't like to give me sugary cereals. when we went to visit my aunt in long island, i would always have cocoa krispies. one day, i was in the supermarket with my mom and i said "look! cocoa krispies!" my mom told me they were just advertising for the stores in long island.

          the ice cream man would always pass by my house right before dinner. my mom always told me he was taking a test run.

          know how right before a commercial, a show will say "___ is brought to you by ___"? dh grew up thinking the verb was "broughtoyoud"
          your mom is so sneaky!

          #5 starchild

          starchild

            Moderator

          • Moderators
          • 26,161 posts

            Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:37 AM

            ROFL! Lauren your mom is comedy!!

            Mine isn't adult either, but until I was in junior high I thought girls were either born with bangs or without them. I never had them and I thought that if I could just get them surely my mom would have given my bangs like my friends.

            Once a girl who never had bangs came to school with them and I was so mad that I had been 'tricked' all those years, so I begged my mom for bangs. Finally she took me to a salon, they gave me bangs, and they looked awful. I couldn't wait for them to grow out

            #6 rodent

            rodent

              VIP Member

            • VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

              Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by starchild
              ROFL! Lauren your mom is comedy!!

              Mine isn't adult either, but until I was in junior high I thought girls were either born with bangs or without them. I never had them and I thought that if I could just get them surely my mom would have given my bangs like my friends.

              Once a girl who never had bangs came to school with them and I was so mad that I had been 'tricked' all those years, so I begged my mom for bangs. Finally she took me to a salon, they gave me bangs, and they looked awful. I couldn't wait for them to grow out
              Ha ha!! OK anything goes. Silly childhood beliefs or ones you still had as an adult. I just like the funny stories.

              When i was in elementary school I wondered why all old men got the same haircut- circle shaved on the top & v's shaved in the front.

              #7 KatyKo

              KatyKo
              • Member
              • 851 posts

                Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

                This one is kind of weird...but...here goes...

                My Mom's cousin Harmon has always had the same partner, ever since before I was born. As a kid, I was told that Harmon and his partner were best friends and that is why he was always at our family gatherings, etc...

                It took me until I was in my early 20s (I know...sad) to realize that they were actually partners, not just friends. I don't know why I didn't see it, but I guess when you think something for so long, it is hard to shake it :)

                My Oma (grandmother), who I spent a lot of time with as a child, has a very strong German accent, still to this day. So I have quite a few words that I still say wrong because I learned them from her with her German accent :)

                #8 starchild

                starchild

                  Moderator

                • Moderators
                • 26,161 posts

                  Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Morgan
                  When i was in elementary school I wondered why all old men got the same haircut- circle shaved on the top & v's shaved in the front.
                  Now that's funny!

                  #9 ErinB

                  ErinB

                    VIP Member

                  • VIP Member
                  • 9,504 posts

                    Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:00 AM

                    My mom was sneaky too.

                    The car won't go unless everyone has their seatbealt on.

                    You can't cut the crust off the bread because that's where all the vitamins are. (like an apple)

                    I was huge on commercials. I really wasn't allowed to watch TV, so when I did I memorized everything. I followed everything with a slogan. Every movie was, "Mom I want to go see...It's coming soon to a theater near you!"

                    It took a LOT of convincing to get me to believe that you didn't spell relief R-O-L-A-I-D-s.

                    #10 1elephant

                    1elephant
                    • VIP Member
                    • 15,998 posts

                      Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by ErinB
                      My mom was sneaky too.

                      The car won't go unless everyone has their seatbealt on.

                      You can't cut the crust off the bread because that's where all the vitamins are. (like an apple)

                      I was huge on commercials. I really wasn't allowed to watch TV, so when I did I memorized everything. I followed everything with a slogan. Every movie was, "Mom I want to go see...It's coming soon to a theater near you!"

                      It took a LOT of convincing to get me to believe that you didn't spell relief R-O-L-A-I-D-s.
                      you don't spell relief r-o-l-a-i-d-s? o mg, i seriously almost fell out of my chair laughing.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users