Photo

Tipping etiquette

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#71 kim0806

kim0806
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:16 AM

Very helpful thread...tipping is so confusing!  I think I'll go with the prepared thank you cards with $20-50 inside depending on the service we receive. 

#72 JayKay

JayKay
    • 3,472 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
    • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
    • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:57 AM

Great thread! I hadn't even thought about tipping!!

#73 missmeliss

missmeliss
    • 172 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

Tipping is so confusing.  I like the envelope ideas!

November 26th 2011 - Gran Bahai Principe Jamacia
      Booked: 31 Adults + 5 children + Bride and Groom!!!

#74 mochamakes3

mochamakes3
      • 1,917 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:46 AM

Make sure you remember the tip money. We completely forgot about it most nights and especially our wedding day. When we arrived to our reception I had to rush to get money from my parents to tip the golf cart driver that rushed us across the resort when we realized how late it was. And at the end of the night, we had to ask all our friends for money to tip the servers. Thankfully, we were able to drop off an envelope for the WC the next day so she got a generous tip for her services.

#75 redginger

redginger
        • 360 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

This is helpful thread as we didn't think to include tipping costs...we now have to add that to our wedding budget!

#76 BusyBee123

BusyBee123
          • 335 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

This is a SUPER helpful thread.  I was trying to figure out what was appropriate for the different services at the resort, and this really helps! I have to agree that giving the officiant $100 seems excessive, but the rest seem about right.  I'm thinking $20-25 per bartender/waiter and DJ, $30-50 depending on the number of people in our kettle drum band, $20 for the hair/makeup person and likely $100 for our wedding coordinator(s).  I wasn't planning on tipping our photographers, as we are treating them like guests with OOT bags, etc and paying their trip down. 

#77 krmiller

krmiller
            • 239 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

We leave in 13 days & am not getting a little overwhelmed.  Glad I found this thread.  We will probably be tipping the photographer & assistant $50 each, Mariachi band(3)-$15-$20 each, Wedding coordinator $100, DJ-$50, Waiters/bartenders-I haven't really decided on this one yet.  I don't think I will be tipping the officiant.  If I do, it will probably be like $20.  I am paying for the bridesmaid's hair to get done, so I will tip each stylist $20.  Gosh, It sure does add up quickly!!

#78 kerrib

kerrib
              • 207 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

I'm going to go with the pre-made envelopes with a thank you card and $$, then give them out according to service. I am having a hard time with tipping my WC, and guess that will be decided there, I know he/she cannot accept money, but I have also had 4 WC since October!!

#79 mrsbruff2b

mrsbruff2b
                • 385 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

Now that I'm thinking about it we will likely tip our WC (depending on how much she/he seems to have together), live music, drivers and maids/wait staff.  Depending on service, I may write a referral/recommendation letter for my photographer and travel agent.

Unless the officiant is Neil Patrick Harris himself, I don't see a reason to tip for being there $20 and reading a script.

I also think that if I were working, any tip greater than $20 is already pretty generous.  You know how much stuff I can get with $20!? XD

Thinking out approximate breakdown will be

WC - $50

Live Music: $20/person

Married: 20/06/12 - Our 11 year anniversary~

Wedding @: Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort (Cancun, Mexico)

Honeymoon @: Le Blanc Spa Resort (Cancun, Mexico)

#80 weddingaway

weddingaway
                  • 196 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

Great thread!  I did want to let everyone know that traditionally, it is the job of the best man and maid of honor to distribute the tips, so that the bride and groom don't get distracted from the day's events.  So we are planning to compile the envelopes a day or two beforehand, and then just give them to the best man and maid of honor to pass out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users