Riviera Maya Cenote locations

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 lambert13

lambert13
  • 901 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

Hi there everyone!

I just saw some photos online of TTD and/or general wedding photos online and thought that some of you may want to know more about and where some of these cenotes are.

The link below has tons of info on local cenotes and what they are all about.

Cenotes: Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Mexico

Most of them are less than $10US to get into and are a refreshing change from the heat of the area. The water is much cooler than the ocean because they are fresh water springs.

Anyhoo, just trying to get some discussion going and hopefully more people will chime in with ideas and info on the more popular cenotes like Gran Cenote.

#2 lambert13

lambert13
    • 901 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

Here is a photo of Gran Cenote from one angle. I have always loved the way the vines reach down to the water.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is another cenote. Not sure which one it is though.

#3 boscobel

boscobel
      • VIP Member
      • 24,213 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:27 PM

Wow, great pics! I can't wait to go to MX sometime! This forum has given so much information (and I've often said it before, but I wish I had gotten married in MX instead of JA, but that's mostly Beaches fault, not JA's...), but maybe we can go for an anni, and these places are so pretty.

#4 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
        • VIP Member
        • 4,791 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

Beautiful locations Jason, thanks for sharing!

~ Jaime & Martin ~
          "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#5 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 18,759 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

Cenotes of the Riviera Maya Home, Steve Gerrard Cavern, Cave, Technical Instructor

here is a great website about being a responsible tourist

#6 Alyssa

Alyssa
            • 11,793 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:32 PM

Holy shite! those are amazing - I hope we find something like that in Hawaii to do our TTD - thanks for sharing :)

#7 Yari

Yari
              • VIP Member
              • 10,928 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

I wanna go! I need to show my FI.

#8 lambert13

lambert13
                • 901 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

Karen and I went cave snorkeling down there a few years ago and it was awesome! It was at hidden worlds. Hidden Worlds Cenotes Park Yucatan Mexico Riviera Maya

I was just looking around online before at photos of cenotes and when I saw a few wedding related photos...I figured it would be something more people would be into.

Most of them are privately owned. It would probably not be too hard to strike a deal with the owners to do some wedding photography at one of the cenotes. That is if they would even want to charge you extra at all.

There is one cenote in particular that would make for some very interesting TTD photos. Cenote Calaveras which is located south of Tulum. Basically the way to get into the cenote is to jump into a 'hole' in the ground which drops down to the water. It's plenty wide enough and there is plenty of light down below too so that it is not like jumping into a cave with no light. Imagine the photos of the bride and groom holding hands while jumping into the hole? That would be so cool.

the video below shows someone jumping in. The hole he uses is too small for two people, but there are bigger spots there.

YouTube - Cenote jump tulum mexico

#9 adias.angel

adias.angel
                  • 719 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

I believe that is the Ik Kil Cenote near Chichen Itza....

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by lambert13
                    Here is another cenote. Not sure which one it is though.

#10 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 18,759 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:54 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by lambert13
                      Imagine the photos of the bride and groom holding hands while jumping into the hole? That would be so cool.

the video below shows someone jumping in. The hole he uses is too small for two people, but there are bigger spots there.

YouTube - Cenote jump tulum mexico
                      our friends jumped in to grand cenote like this. they tried to get us to take a picture just like that "taking the plunge" but I was too scared to do it. I always hurt my ears when I jump into water from high.

Anyone know of a cenote that has the little zip lines? I'd like to do that on my next trip to RM.

These are a natural wonder that only exist in riviera maya. If you scuba you can really explore the area. The trip to the cenote was my favorite part of the trip right after getting married :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users