Passport Expiration?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tchuchuca

tchuchuca
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:24 AM

Hi Ladies,
    I have a quick question and I hoped that the TAs on the forum (or anybody really!) would be able to point me in the right direction...

I have my passport and am getting married in Playa del Carmen in April of '09. My passport expires in May- we'll be flying home before the end of April, but do I need to go ahead and renew my passport before we leave?

Thanks for any help!

#2 zorlack76

zorlack76
    • 259 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

If you will be there and back before the expiration then you shouldnt have to renew it. However, to give you peace of mind, you still have plenty of time to send it in now to have it renewed. I think the renewal process is much shorter than applying for a brand new passport.

#3 Angel

Angel
      • 2,635 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, I think as long as your back by the time it expires you will be fine.

#4 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 9,504 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

I was told that your passport had to be valid 6 months from the date of departure. (Maybe if something happens and you get stuck you won't have to deal with passport issues too?)

This could have been an individual airline policy...I don't know.

No one in my group was close to the expiration.

I do know that if you renew now, you have 1 year to submit for the name change at no extra cost. If you wait more than a year, it counts as a renewal and you have to pay the full price.

#5 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 9,504 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

Passport Home

Here is the passport website, but I didn't find anything. It's kinda confusing to navigate.

#6 KatyKo

KatyKo
            • 851 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:03 AM

Some places require it to be good for a few months after travel. I know FI's passport expires in October and we are travelling in June and my TA is suggesting he go ahead and get a new one.

#7 amdecker

amdecker
              • 169 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=ErinB;490972]I was told that your passport had to be valid 6 months from the date of departure. (Maybe if something happens and you get stuck you won't have to deal with passport issues too?)

I was told something similar. You may want to get it renewed just to be safe. I just renewed mine and got it back within 2 weeks.

#8 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
                • 2,777 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

Here is a site that says some countries and some airlines require that you have a passport that is valid 6 months after your departure date. I haven't found anything that says mexico requires this but your airline may. You should get it renewed before, it's only $75 and better safe than sorry. God forbid that a natural disaster of some kind happen and you not be able to get out in time. Right now its only taking about 4 weeks to get your passport done and you can always pay the $60 fee to have it expedited w/in 2 weeks.

#9 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
                  • 2,777 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

oops here is the site:

How to Apply for a Passport Renewal

#10 Yari

Yari
                    • VIP Member
                    • 10,928 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

I would get it renewed. My dad was going to Fiji and his passport was due to renew in six months and they wouldn't let him check in. They had to get a expedited passport and leave the following week. Don't chance it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users