katrina's wedding review- riu yucatan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarica View Post
Great Review! Everything looked awesome! I am getting married at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya in October. Do you know the name of your photographer?
thanks! the photographer was Gionata Cossu, but he goes by Jonathon. he's from italy but has been living in mexico for the past 10 years. really nice guy. i grabbed his business card, so here's the info- cossu_gallery@yahoo.com.mx Gionata Cossu
there's not too much on the website, but still fun to look at.
the videographer's name was monica and the company is called image life, but i don't have any other info for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryjbrown View Post
This is a great reveiw Katriina! I was looking at doing a u-shaped table as well, how many guests did you have? I am trying to figure out if 30 ppl is too many to do this.
we had 26 and it worked well. you might have to have another table but i'm sure it can be done. are you getting married at one of the riu chains in pdc? if so, you should speak with eric, the director of events. i spoke to him separately from the wc and told him how i wanted the table. he drew everything out for me, so i know how it would look in the end. he was really nice and accommodating.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, seriously, don't get married on the beach at the Yucatanhuh.gif!!! Yikes, I'm suppose to have my ceremony on the beach at this resort on January 16th 09?? The garden was much better?

What did your wedding party do after the dinner? I was told to bring a cd and go to the disco?

Did the hotel make the dinner menus for you and have them placed? You brought everything else for the place settings I'm assuming?

Did you do pictures with you husband before the ceremony? My fiance wants to wait until after....he doesn't want to see me until I walk down the aisle :)

Cocktail hour: Top shelf liquor or just rail stuff?

Sorry for all the questions, just really anxious, especially about the ceremony part. Yikes!! Thank you!

don't stress- but i'll give you my honest opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
Ok, seriously, don't get married on the beach at the Yucatanhuh.gif!!! Yikes, I'm suppose to have my ceremony on the beach at this resort on January 16th 09?? The garden was much better? i watched a wedding on the beach and felt very uncomfortable for them. the wedding was at 3 and there were mobs of people EVERYWHERE. there were people on both sides of them, people lounging on the beach, people in the water right in front of them... everywhere. also, the ceremony spot was right in front of the restaurant so there were dozens of people watching while they ate lunch. and when she started walking down the aisle, people CLAPPED. maybe this wouldn't bother you.. but i was so annoyed for the bride. it was also very loud. the garden was a million times more private. there was only one little spot along the railing where people could watch.. and that spot could only hold 8 people or so and it was far away. so most lookers became bored after a few minutes and left. imo, the garden was so much better than the beach. it was lush and tropical. it was also cooler because it was slightly shaded.

What did your wedding party do after the dinner? I was told to bring a cd and go to the disco? we didn't have anything planned so we all went back to our rooms and changed. a few of us went to the bar for drinks. some went to the show. and some went to bed. our theory was that we had been spending all day every day with our guests so we didn't feel the need to have a traditional reception- we had been drinking, dancing and partying every day! we actually never went to the disco. another bride on here said it was a bit dingy, so i'd check it out when you get there and decide then if thats what you want to do.

Did the hotel make the dinner menus for you and have them placed? You brought everything else for the place settings I'm assuming? i made all of the menus. the menu was sent to me in advance and i had them printed up. but they weren't entirely accurate as that night they added a new entree. i brought the menus, and the placecards. they set up the table with really nice wood charger plates that i had no idea they were going to do. if you have a lot of stuff (we brought down two suitcases) i recommend meeting with eric, he's the director of events. we met with him in addition to the coordinators and the set up was EXACTLY the way we wanted.

Did you do pictures with you husband before the ceremony? My fiance wants to wait until after....he doesn't want to see me until I walk down the aisle :) we did them afterwards while everyone was at the cocktail hour.. i didn't want him to see me either.

Cocktail hour: Top shelf liquor or just rail stuff? they had all the specialty fruity drinks they make all over the resort.. i know some of our guests were drinking smirnoff... i'll be honest i don't really know the answer to this.. hah :) but our guests looooved all the drinks. and if they didn't, they could just get a new one!

Sorry for all the questions, just really anxious, especially about the ceremony part. Yikes!! Thank you!

i was too... but honestly, everything was way better than i imagined. even if you choose the beach you'll have an amazing time... just be prepared for a public performance!