Photo

How much are alterations??

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Alyssa

Alyssa
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:06 PM

OMFG!!! I just got back - I had my 1st fitting today (my wedding is in 1 month). I bought my dress from Priscilla of Boston so I went there for the alterations - holy shit - it was obsene ---- are you ready for this?

I need:

the dress shortened (it is a bubble hem)
    the bust darted (sweatheart neckline)
    the waist taken in
    a 3 point bustle
    the zipper let out 1/2"

POB wanted to charge me $800!!!!!!!! yes, you are reading right

Um, hell no! I called a friend and got a recommendation for a seamstress at a local tailor shop that specializes in wedding gowns - she is going to do everything for $300.

Seriously, i almost had a heart attack - WTF!?!

#22 Davematthews16

Davematthews16
    • Banned
    • 1,051 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:25 PM

OMG? That is insane!!! $800.00? So glad you got a 2nd opinion on it and got the price cut more than in half!!! :)

#23 LBP

LBP
      • 49 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

Oh gosh You gals are scaring me...my dress arrived this week and I hope to spend no more than $100 in alterations. I guess it's one of those expenses I didn't really "plan" for....

#24 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 12,193 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Alyssa
          OMFG!!! I just got back - I had my 1st fitting today (my wedding is in 1 month). I bought my dress from Priscilla of Boston so I went there for the alterations - holy shit - it was obsene ---- are you ready for this?

I need:

the dress shortened (it is a bubble hem)
          the bust darted (sweatheart neckline)
          the waist taken in
          a 3 point bustle
          the zipper let out 1/2"

POB wanted to charge me $800!!!!!!!! yes, you are reading right

Um, hell no! I called a friend and got a recommendation for a seamstress at a local tailor shop that specializes in wedding gowns - she is going to do everything for $300.

Seriously, i almost had a heart attack - WTF!?!
          Ok, I've had a drink so I'm chalking this up to the fact that my eyes are a little foggy & deceiving me. I know you didn't say $800?
          Thank goodness for recommendations!

#25 Jamminworld

Jamminworld
          • 136 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:10 AM

I brought my dress to a small local bridal shop and they are charging me between $200-250 to have my the top part taken in about 1/2 inch, have it hemmed, have it bustled, and get cups put in. I wouldn't have a problem shelling out the money except the lady at the shop told me they are charging me more because I didn't purchase my dress from them. That fact to wouldn't have bothered me but they are charging me DOUBLE the norm which just irritates me. If I didn't need to have my dress in a month I would have told her off. The actual seamstress is this sweet spanish lady who doesn't speak but a few words of english. She has been great but everytime I see the owner of the shop I get this irritating feeling. My mother told me I should have hired the seamstress outside of the shop. Oh well live and learn. Shop around early is my advise.

#26 Tara

Tara
            • 473 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:12 AM

Now I'm even more ill at ease thinking about this. I'm trying to lose as much weight/inches as possible before the wedding and my dress is a little snug now but fits...

Got it at David's Bridal and I know it's going to need hemmed unless I decide on high heels (which I hadn't planned on, but may due to the hem. And if my weight loss is successful, maybe a little more.

I want to pay no more than an additional $200. Has anyone had alterations done at David's?

#27 Davematthews16

Davematthews16
              • Banned
              • 1,051 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Tara
                Now I'm even more ill at ease thinking about this. I'm trying to lose as much weight/inches as possible before the wedding and my dress is a little snug now but fits...

Got it at David's Bridal and I know it's going to need hemmed unless I decide on high heels (which I hadn't planned on, but may due to the hem. And if my weight loss is successful, maybe a little more.

I want to pay no more than an additional $200. Has anyone had alterations done at David's?
                No, but that's where I got my dress. They told me that ANY alteration starts at $75.00. I am going to do a little homework and check out some mom and pop shops around my area, and compare them to David's bridal. I am in the EXACT same boat you are too. I am trying to tone and loose atleast 15 lbs before the wedding. I've already lost 5, and am very motivated so I'm counting on being 15 lbs smaller than I am now. My dress won't need to be hemmed, just taken in around the armpits and waiste possibly. I'll let you know what I come up with, but I can almost guarantee that David's bridal is going to be a bit more expensive, BUT since they only alter wedding gowns, they may have more experience?

#28 IrieBride08

IrieBride08
                • 716 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Tara

I bought my dress at Davids ($349) and had alterations done for $85. This was to take the dress in on the sides ($50) and for the bustle ($35). I think you should be ok to stay under $200.

#29 atlcatlover

atlcatlover
                  • 101 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

The shop where I got my dress gave me info and it said that alterations average $225. I hate to spend that, but my dress has a tiny row of crystal beading on the hemline, so if it has to be hemmed I dont want to take a chance of it being messed up!

#30 ~*petals*~

~*petals*~
                    • 1,572 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:54 AM

Any other brides willing to share what they paid for their dress alterations?

I need to get the top of my dress taken in and bustle added, and wanted to get an idea of costs, particularly in the Chicago area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users