How much are alterations??

Yikes, now I feel like Im being ripped off. I bought a pronovias dress ( doesn't come until july) but the shop I bought it at is doing alterations and they told me anywhere from $350-500! (I didn't think it was terrible before but it seems like alot compared to you guys sad.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
Yikes, now I feel like Im being ripped off. I bought a pronovias dress ( doesn't come until july) but the shop I bought it at is doing alterations and they told me anywhere from $350-500! (I didn't think it was terrible before but it seems like alot compared to you guys sad.gif
Does the dress have a lot of detail on it? If not, I agree, it does seem high.

Yay for local seamstresses! smile29.gif I found and great one here in Denver and just dropped my dress off there today! She was super nice and just gave me an overall great vibe...so she is charging me $270 BUT when I actually list it out I am kind of getting a lot done (also keep in mind my entire dress has a kind of lace/beading overlay so I am sure that will not be the easiest to work with!)

Here is what will be done:

-side seams are coming in 1 inch on each side

-cups sewn in

-bustle

-modesty panel on corset back is being removed

-neckline is being completely changed...it is currently just a straight strapless neckline and she is changing it to a sweetheart. (this is about half of the total cost of alternations but for me it is a must because I REALLY want a sweetheart neckline)

so i went in for first measurements today and she will be done with everything on it by the end of march...then she told me that when I go back at the end of march that should be it! I probably won't have to back again and will be able to take my dress home with me!

• 2 months later...

bump.gif

I took my dress in last week to a tailor shop that everyone I know highly recommends. After reading this thread, I feel a bit better about what I'm being charged.

Here's the breakdown:

-Taking out the side seams

-Bustle

-Hemming the bottom (Is this how you say it?)

-Adjusting the boob area, making it bigger and tighter

-Taking out a little in the hips

I go in for my first fitting at the end of May...I've lost so much weight, went from a size 10 to a size 4 in a few months and I'm stressed to the max right now and still losing weight - DIOS MIO!!!!shots.gif

My guy is charging $300, and I almost shit! Let's hope my weight maintains, cause I can't afford anymore....

Ok - I was really depressed about how much I'm paying for alterations-until I saw this thread. Whew-my first dress has to be taken in from a 16 to a 10 (don't ask...) and have cups sewn in. $53.00 My second dress needs to be hemmed, modesty panel modified and bustled. $125

I guess living in Boise has advantages....

I was told to budget $400 but i think thats rather high. Considering I got my dress for $100 (nicole miller at a sample sale) I don't mind paying around $300-$400 though. I have to:

-have it taken in everywhere(its mermaid fit and a little loose on me)

-add a corset (or something to make it sit up on me so im not pulling it up all the time)

Thats it.. maybe it won't be that much after reading all these other posts?!