Going to Toronto or Montreal for Sept. mini-moon...I think

Maura

I love Montreal. It's been years since I have been, but I've always had a great time there, especially in old Montreal. If you're up for the touristy things around Montreal, one way to save money is the Viatour Pass, Montreal Attractions Passport, Montreal Sightseeing & City Passes | Viator.com

If you do decide on Toronto and the touristy sites there, check out City Pass, CityPass : Visit 6 Toronto attractions for just $65.28, a $212.97 value!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Maura!!

Okay...well...you already know how passionate I am about Montreal...but for the rest of you...in a nutshell...it is the most incredible City I've ever experienced.

My FI and I visited Montreal during the Jazz Festival in 2005. We basically felt more at home here than we had our entire lives at our current residence (Alberta)! Nothing against Alberta, we will always call it home...but...HERE...we really fell in love. And not just with the City...but with each other. Our visit here was for our 1 year "anniversary", but I can honestly say...when we returned to AB, we knew...we just couldn't stay. Two years later, we made the decision to sell all of our things, quit our jobs, leave our friends and family behind (a really hard decision emotionally...but we knew we HAD to go)...and moved across the country to live HERE. Montreal is the best decision we have ever made, besides the one to get married!, and obviously, I have a HUGE bias...but if you want a romantic getaway...something a little Euro...something a little...magical...

I'll show you and tell you everything I can about the City. We have only been here two years, but I can say that neither FI or myself speak MUCH french, and we get on just fine. He is a culinary arts student, currently practicing his Stage (work-op) at our favorite Spanish Tapas resto, called Pinxto, and I work for an Aerospace development/manufacturing corporation on the South Shore (Longueuil).

We do not own a vehicle, and navigate the city completely on foot or via public transportation (which, from what we have seen and heard, is among the very best in the world). Our metro system and transit system really are impressive. The entire city really is like New York meets Paris...especially the closer to the waterfront you get.

Although the restaurants that have been mentioned (L'Academie, Frits Alors(?), and others) are decent...we have sampled some truly magnificent, and some truly awful food while living here! With the FI being a true foodie (aspiring food critic/writer) we've sort of tried it all...from the incredibly economical and comforting...to the much more...expensive and pretentious! LOL.

FI and I live directly on Blvd. St. Laurent (aka "The Main") and from our rooftop terrase, we have a spectacular view of Mt. Royal, which we frequent nearly every weekend in the Spring/Summer. There is a charming man made "lake" midway up the mountain, and an afternoon picnic with some wine can truly be romantic amid all the foliage and water. It is a quick busride up/down also, if you don't feel like making the trek on foot.

Old Port...well...there is ALWAYS something to see and do in old city. We are partial to a mom and pop Italian eatery called "L'usine de Spaghetti" right off of the promenade. Charles Dickens is said to have penned "A tale of two cities" there...and their food...is...divine...AND...really reasonably priced. I think with wine (Not a Bring Your Own establishment)...it usually runs about $50 for the both of us...and...we almost always have to find a park bench on Notre Dame or Le Commune to rest our bellies! LOTS of wonderful touristy things...street performers...sketch artists and jewelry makers...Really lovely. And of course the St. Lawrence Harbour with all the boats, and music...and ahh...it kinda makes me want to head down there right now.

The markets in August/September are still very impressive as well...and out of the two main markets; Jean Talon and Atwater; we prefer the Jean Talon market. A fairly quick bus ride up St. Laurent on the #55 takes you virtually right to the entrance. Great fresh market food there too...and some of the best Gelato (italian ice cream) I've ever had!

Park Lafontaine is one of my favorites, and there are albino squirrels there. You don't see them in really any other parks but there (the brown squirrels are everywhere though)! Also, some really beautiful landscapes, water art, and lots of pretty birds there too. It's a public park with lots of paths for walking...and picnicking!

I'm realizing that this post is becoming very large...but...Maura...if you need anymore information about hotels (there are some very nice ones, including the "W" which was previously mentioned...), just let me know what you like...style...luxury level...and I'll recommend what I can. We've had LOTS of visitors...and most have stayed either with us or in one of the many available hotels...so...we do have some first hand knowledge of accommodations. As I mentioned to you before, I also know of some nice condo apartments we have rented for company that were prime..and REALLY reasonably priced.

I have hundreds of pictures of the city and surrounding townships...I can send you all or specifics...just let me know.

As much as I enjoy visiting Toronto...there is a liveliness and magic about Montreal, that really is romantic.

Hope this helps!!!

xo

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
wow, i want to go to montreal now..
LOL! You should!

I think of all the places I have been in Canada; Montreal, Victoria (in particular - lots of places in BC are incredible), Jasper/Banff and PEI are among the most incredible, scenic, beautiful and romantic. Anyone thinking of crossing the border...should really consider those places...along with all the bigger hot spots - Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa (?)

Anyways...if you do come to Canada, I hope you enjoy whichever destination you choose!

There is so much in Montreal that would be perfect for a mini-moon.

Walking around the Old Port can really feel like Europe. And all the amazing restaurants usually have incredible lunch deals. Definitely Check out Verses Restaurant and Modavie - two fantastic places.

The botanical gardens can be fun, and there is always the Biodome if you want to see some animals (the Penguins are so cute).

There is the underground mall, I think its 10KM of stores. There are little gem boutiques all around for different things depending on what you're looking for. There is this place on Crescent St. where I get Prada shoes for $120, and Hugo Boss suits for under $200.

There are a huge mix of hotels for every budget. Please PM or email me if you need some suggestions. Since most brides use hotels as getting ready locations for photos I have been to a lot of them.

I'll end here, but since I'm from here I could go on and on. If you need any more info on Montreal please contact me, I'd love to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfrommontreal View Post
Walking around the Old Port can really feel like Europe. And all the amazing restaurants usually have incredible lunch deals. Definitely Check out Verses Restaurant and Modavie - two fantastic places.
I second that...Modavie is amazing. And the White Wine, Simi, is wonderful. Their creme brulee is also fantastic (as with most of the things on their entree/dinner menus).

cheesy.gif

• 1 year later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
wow, i want to go to montreal now..
ok so over a year ago i wrote this, and now i think we're going smile29.gif

we would really like to take a little winter vaca right leaving the day after christmas and we're thinking montreal. it looks gorgeous. my only concern is the weather.. i mean, obviously it's going to be freezing but i think i can deal with that and dh is from upstate new york so he'll be fine. we checked weather trends and it said it's usually about 20 degrees. but could any locals offer more insight? is it usually overcast? or sunny? do you always have a white christmas?

i'm sure it's much nicer in the spring, but we definitely won't be going in the spring. it's either this december or who knows when. thanks in advance! popcorn.gif