Photo

For those who decorated raffia fans...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 caroline

caroline
  • 697 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

#1 What kind of ribbon did you use? The satin stuff I checked out is silly money! Will polyester be alright?

#2 Those lovely flowers attached to the handle of the fan... Where on earth did you get them?! The fake ones I've seen are not only seriously cheap-looking... but there's also nothing in burnt orange/calla!

#2 Bianca

Bianca
    • 1,057 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:31 PM

I have been talking to this wedding person in Canada(I think). She sent me some photos of callas and orchids. There were some orange ones that might work for you. Let me just add that real touch callas are pricey. I think a lot of people use the orchids instead. Each stem is like $10, but it has at least 6 blooms on it.
      19 adults/3 children with flights booked! 10 rooms booked!
      http://dw.daisypath.com/BM2Hm4/.png

http://dpabride.blogspot.com/

#3 jmill130

jmill130
      • 601 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

I bought my ribbon at Wal*Mart- cheap! I used a light baby blue satin. I spent $4.00 of 2 rolls and it did 30 fans. I didn't glue on flowers, I had a hard time as well, all the flowers looked cheap! I glued on small sand dollars I bought of ebay. Hope this helps! Good luck to you:)

#4 caroline

caroline
        • 697 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:06 AM

Thank you both!

I'm thinking I can live with orchids... so long as they are "real" looking and not cheap-looking. Bianca, if it's not too much bother, might you share your info with me?!

Off to check out Wal-Mart!

#5 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
          • 4,881 posts
          • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
          • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
          • LocationNew York

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:32 AM

My suggestion on ribbon is to go with a satin ribbon (go to Michaels, Wal-Mart or Joann), or a floral ribbon which is really inexpensive - it doesn't look quite as nice up close, but you really can't tell the difference.

Mine are done in fuchsia and blue. My blue is floral ribbon, and the fuchsia is satin.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#6 msasfraz

msasfraz
          • 392 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:54 AM

i agree with becks... i wouldnt even do the flower b/c if the program will be attached, im thinking the flower may be get damaged when people are actually trying to use the fan? i was going to add the flower but i think by not adding the flower i can save some time and just add a shell to the fan in some way... good luck..

Becks are you excited and ready? your day is coming very soon......

#7 LadyCheese

LadyCheese
            • 1,830 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

I purchased orchids at michaels...they are not the cheap, fabric looking kind. They feel pretty real and $13 a stem with 7 orchids on each stem. I used coupons on all the stems to get a better deal...I'm not using them for my fans but i thought I'd share.

#8 Erica053009

Erica053009
              • 513 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by jmill130
                I bought my ribbon at Wal*Mart- cheap! I used a light baby blue satin. I spent $4.00 of 2 rolls and it did 30 fans. I didn't glue on flowers, I had a hard time as well, all the flowers looked cheap! I glued on small sand dollars I bought of ebay. Hope this helps! Good luck to you:)
                Love the sand dollar idea do you have pics posted anywhere?

#9 caroline

caroline
                • 697 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:44 AM

Thanks guys, I did go to Michael's and didn't see anything that appealed - even at a higher price. I have no problems buying a stem for $13 if it's going to yield 7 flowers!

But the satin ribbon there was EXPENSIVE (between $20-$25 a roll!) I did find some cheaper (polyester/not satin) so I'll give that a go...

#10 jessyg20

jessyg20
                  • 263 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:21 PM

I bought my ribbon at Target, in their wedding aisle. My colors were teal and chocolate. Not expensive. Only needed 2 of each. No flowers for me.
                    Jessy

My Planning Thread-Updated Links
                    http://bestdestinati....-thread-30226/
                    Wedding Pictures Link Threadhttp://bestdestinati....perfect-31186/NH Arena Real Wedding Reviewhttp://bestdestinati....ew-pics-32477/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users