The new Dreams Tulum thread! (Post all DT Qs&As here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looly View Post

Thanks for the info re: guitarist. I cant wait to hear how it goes (I am sure it will all be beautfful!). Please do let me know how it goes with the guitarist,as well as his contact info.
Thanks!

Looly - it wasn't me who hired a guitarist :) It was Sehausle!  See the previous page.

Hezmshaw, 

The photos are from the resort photographer. We had Simone, he was a nice French man, very easy going! I was so stressed about the photos as well but my now husband made a good point. You can spend so much money on photos for an outside photographer, pay the outside vendor fee but at the end of the day, everyone in our group is going to be taking photos, even ones that the resort guy might not catch. For the photos that matter, the resort photographer did an amazing job! They even have packages to upgrade what you get in your package. We had the Ultimate package and the video was cute, they ended up printing us 54 photos and they are 6x8...  not 4x6 or 5x7. We were VERY happy with the resort photographer, glad we didnt drop an EXTRA $2000 on an outsider. If you are doing trash the dress, hire an outside photographer!

In the ultimate package, we got the choice of the gold menu. We had some gluten free and vegetarian guests and they got to pick of seperate menus than the main one. For the majority of the guests, they got bruschetta, salad with vinegarette, steak and shrimp with tiramisu for dessert. The gluten free and vegetarian guests got to pick from a menu individually. It was a great selection and it was delicious all around! Well presented, delicious food! We started doing the speeches between the food courses and it flowed really well, then it didn't cut into our DJ time. We got up to do pictures with the miriachi band and do some mingling of our tables and the guys removed all the food before the DJ started. So didn't get to finish my steak but thats ok!

My husbands family is very quiet. We still did the dinner and dancing. Although we were supposed ot be out on the beach, it was raining so we moved into the convention centre prior to the rain. We had a sit down dinner, dancing and everything! The nice thing was we could all eat together, have some speeches and tequila shots and enjoy being there together. Then peple either left on their own accord or got wasted and had to be driven back to their rooms! When all was said and done, we finished our party at 10 pm with an impromptu cake fight and it was a forced shut down by the staff. Then we all went and partied by the bar across from coco cafe! The live music is more like the resort DJ and its not every night. Sometimes he is playing outside or in the lounge, sometimes is karaoke or nothing, depending on the weather. There is a show in the square at coco cafe every night and that sometimes runs until 10 then the DJ doesn't start until 11 when he is playing in the lounge.     

Yeah we went in the low season/hurricane season and we had decent weather. Things pick up again at the end of October. We had 2 days of rain with all our guests and then our last 3 days after everyone left was rainy and windy. It was nice to relax without all the running around though. We found it hard to manage seeing everyone but after a couple days i let it go. I never got to have dinner with just our parents or just the wedding party. The nice thing about doing this resort wedding stuff is that it's your vacation as much as it is theirs. So do your thing, and people may join. We started off by usually all having breakfast around the same time, not planned. Then if you were just chillin by the beach that day word got around. We usually had all 30 of us in the pool or on the beach playing volleyball and swimming by 11 AM. Then if people were going to the ruins or Playa, they went. Sometimes there was a small group and they all went together. Most people asked about what plans for dinner were and showed up at dinner in small groups. I hear about people planning an ENTIRE week of activities for their group, we didnt want to do this and it worked out great. You and everyone else understood they were welcome to join in for daily stuff/small trips but it wasn't a pressured to do it type of thing.

One thing to keep in mind is that even though your flight is sold out, not everyone will be going to your resort unless its chartered flight for just your group! There were only 25 of our group on the full plane and we were the only 25 going to our resort! Regarding my post on Dukoral, if any of your guests are getting gastro issues, do not let them take pepto or immodium. They need to get the virus out of their system, not hold it in! Or get a prescription of Cipro, it will help at first signs of gastro issues!  

Hope you have a great wedding, good luck!

Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murr1026 View Post

Hezmshaw,

The photos are from the resort photographer. We had Simone, he was a nice French man, very easy going! I was so stressed about the photos as well but my now husband made a good point. You can spend so much money on photos for an outside photographer, pay the outside vendor fee but at the end of the day, everyone in our group is going to be taking photos, even ones that the resort guy might not catch. For the photos that matter, the resort photographer did an amazing job! They even have packages to upgrade what you get in your package. We had the Ultimate package and the video was cute, they ended up printing us 54 photos and they are 6x8...  not 4x6 or 5x7. We were VERY happy with the resort photographer, glad we didnt drop an EXTRA $2000 on an outsider. If you are doing trash the dress, hire an outside photographer!

In the ultimate package, we got the choice of the gold menu. We had some gluten free and vegetarian guests and they got to pick of seperate menus than the main one. For the majority of the guests, they got bruschetta, salad with vinegarette, steak and shrimp with tiramisu for dessert. The gluten free and vegetarian guests got to pick from a menu individually. It was a great selection and it was delicious all around! Well presented, delicious food! We started doing the speeches between the food courses and it flowed really well, then it didn't cut into our DJ time. We got up to do pictures with the miriachi band and do some mingling of our tables and the guys removed all the food before the DJ started. So didn't get to finish my steak but thats ok!

My husbands family is very quiet. We still did the dinner and dancing. Although we were supposed ot be out on the beach, it was raining so we moved into the convention centre prior to the rain. We had a sit down dinner, dancing and everything! The nice thing was we could all eat together, have some speeches and tequila shots and enjoy being there together. Then peple either left on their own accord or got wasted and had to be driven back to their rooms! When all was said and done, we finished our party at 10 pm with an impromptu cake fight and it was a forced shut down by the staff. Then we all went and partied by the bar across from coco cafe! The live music is more like the resort DJ and its not every night. Sometimes he is playing outside or in the lounge, sometimes is karaoke or nothing, depending on the weather. There is a show in the square at coco cafe every night and that sometimes runs until 10 then the DJ doesn't start until 11 when he is playing in the lounge.    

Yeah we went in the low season/hurricane season and we had decent weather. Things pick up again at the end of October. We had 2 days of rain with all our guests and then our last 3 days after everyone left was rainy and windy. It was nice to relax without all the running around though. We found it hard to manage seeing everyone but after a couple days i let it go. I never got to have dinner with just our parents or just the wedding party. The nice thing about doing this resort wedding stuff is that it's your vacation as much as it is theirs. So do your thing, and people may join. We started off by usually all having breakfast around the same time, not planned. Then if you were just chillin by the beach that day word got around. We usually had all 30 of us in the pool or on the beach playing volleyball and swimming by 11 AM. Then if people were going to the ruins or Playa, they went. Sometimes there was a small group and they all went together. Most people asked about what plans for dinner were and showed up at dinner in small groups. I hear about people planning an ENTIRE week of activities for their group, we didnt want to do this and it worked out great. You and everyone else understood they were welcome to join in for daily stuff/small trips but it wasn't a pressured to do it type of thing.

One thing to keep in mind is that even though your flight is sold out, not everyone will be going to your resort unless its chartered flight for just your group! There were only 25 of our group on the full plane and we were the only 25 going to our resort! Regarding my post on Dukoral, if any of your guests are getting gastro issues, do not let them take pepto or immodium. They need to get the virus out of their system, not hold it in! Or get a prescription of Cipro, it will help at first signs of gastro issues! 

Mary

Thanks for all of your details -we have our prescription Cipro ready! I am a little nervous as were not having a DJ but we will have some dancers in the crowd so I hope they have something going on Saturday night with music! I am starting to get really excited though!

We are not doing events- just a "welcome" happy hour were having everyone meet us at the sugar reef bar friday night and we have a little gift (survival kit) for them and a fun guest book (with mad libs etc.) that has all of our engagement photos , so it will be fun for them to sign.Relaxed, low-key, and free because it's not an official paid-for  event. Were not doing one large group dinner but we figure we can all kind of go together and sit near eachother afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezmshaw View Post

Wow thanks for the review!! I'm really feeling good with all these recent reviews.. no serious issues, everything went as planned... so I'm going to try real hard not to stress until November :)

Are these photos the ones the resort photographer took?? I like them, everyone's all "you gotta get your own photographer" and I'm like.. nah... I'll just roll the dice, I am spending ENOUGH on this wedding as it is, I'm sure the resort photographer is good. And judging by your photos, I'm right :)

What menu did you pick for your reception? Was the food good??  Your group looks about the same size as mine will be, did you find you had enough time to see everyone but have some alone time too?  Did you have a dance after your reception? We aren't going to, we feel it's too small and his family is too shy/chill/reserved to really have fun with that anyway so we're going to play our own music on the beach and then I hear there is a lounge with live music we could check out later - true?

I think the hotel will be more full when we go, apparently a lot of the rooms were already sold out a while ago.  I know our flight is for sure, so things must pick up in November.. hopefully the restaurants will be open more then.

We are also taking the plunge and not hiring a photographer for our wedding . We ended up buying a really nice camera (an investment but it will be ours forever) - for one of our guests to use (she studied photography in class). We have a couple novice photographers in our group too so I expect we will get some good ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murr1026 View Post

Hezmshaw,

Mary

How was the hair/makeup? Did you bring your own makeup? Did it stay well?

I was really impressed with hair and make-up overall through the salon. The ladies don't say much, but it was fun! Make sure you are very specific on make up! We said a bit of a smokey eye  but nothing too dramatic for my girls and 2 out of 3 were great. One of the ladies CAKED dark shadow on my maid of honors and glued her lashes on wrong, they actually started to fall off in the chair. We ended up pulling her lashes off her lids and re-doing her make up in the room after. Make sure you pick up some make up stay spray cause they do not do it for you! When I hugged my husband afterwards, my make up wore off onto his white shirt.

What is a good makeup setting spray?  Any recommendations?  I have tried the Urban Decay up all night spray and I hated it- made my face look oily for some reason.  

I really want to wear my hair down and curled (it is very long).... would this look hold up in the humidity though?  Suggestions?

Thanks for all of your details -we have our prescription Cipro ready! I am a little nervous as were not having a DJ but we will have some dancers in the crowd so I hope they have something going on Saturday night with music! I am starting to get really excited though! We are not doing events- just a "welcome" happy hour were having everyone meet us at the sugar reef bar friday night and we have a little gift (survival kit) for them and a fun guest book (with mad libs etc.) that has all of our engagement photos , so it will be fun for them to sign.Relaxed, low-key, and free because it's not an official paid-for  event. Were not doing one large group dinner but we figure we can all kind of go together and sit near eachother afterward.
Hi! We also want to do some kind of welcome gift. What are you goin to put in your survival kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looly View Post

Hi! We also want to do some kind of welcome gift. What are you goin to put in your survival kits?

Here is what I put in them:

-ibuprofen

- Pepto chewables

-Alka Seltzer

-Anti-Diarrheal meds

-earplugs

-mini lint roller

-gum

-band-aids

-alcohol prep pads

-razors

-sunscreen

-diet snapple energy drink packet

-tissues

-hand sanitizer

-chapstick

I made 24 of these for about $80 I shopped at Target, Family Dollar, Roses, Ebay, and I work for a manufacturing company so I was able to score some free-bee stuff too.

My dad works for a printing company so I scored some free paper and I printed them out myself. I designed my own template using powerpoint...I didn't like my first attempt so I just re-did these ones today. I put everything in a quart size ziplock and just stabled them as flatly and evenly as possible.

I've attached photos of front & back....

front:

and