The new Dreams Tulum thread! (Post all DT Qs&As here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysalynn View Post
Hi ladies,

I also had a conversation with the wedding coordinators regarding beach/pool receptions and fees when going with the free wedding package. What I was told was that I could have the beach/pool areas for NO private event fee; however, I must use Silver or Gold menu at 55 or 65 a person. The 20 per person menu is only available at the restaurants.

(Perhaps they were making an exception and saying you could use a restaurant menu, but there would be a private event fee? I don't know, it seems strange to me.)

I decided on the beach reception with the silver menu. I don't necessarily need the fancy menu, but wanted the right space for speeches and dancing and that didn't seem as possible in a restaurant.

I wonder if, when you have the free package, you have to pay for either the silver or gold menu, OR the private event fee (and 20$ menu) to have your reception at the pool or beach..

when you think about it, it's a lot of work for them to set that up, when your wedding package is free. Perhaps this is why some brides are being told they have to pay the 750$ fee (with the cheaper menu) while you have been told no set-up fee as long as you choose the silver or gold menu.

For those of you who have been told it's 750$ for the pool/beach reception, ask them if you upgrade to silver or gold menu for your guests (remind them how many guests you have) ask them if you still have to pay the 750$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniejade31 View Post
Hello Wonderful, Helpful, Informative Brides!

I am so thrilled to know about this forum. Oh, by the way, my name is Melanie, and I am strongly considering Dreams Tulum for my wedding on April 10. There are only a couple of reason why I haven't already secured my date. One is that they only have noon available for a ceremony on that day, and I'm wondering if my guests are going to be uncomfortably warm. We're getting married on the beach. I guess it's only for 30 minutes, right? Encouragement on this front would be greatly appreciated. The other thing is that (as everyone on here has mentioned), the responses and figuring out all the info from the wedding coordinators is so confusing. I've read about them making mistakes in contracts and unexpected charges, so I'm feeling wary about that. Plus, I don't even want half the things in the packages, but when I've e-mailed with the coordinator, they are insistent on choosing one of them. Oh, and another thing---I really want a private beach wedding. Here and everywhere else I've looked, there are people around. I'm wondering if it will be a big deal or not. Any comments about that? Does anyone know of somewhere I could have a private beach wedding? I'm at the point where I just want to pick somewhere, you know? But I'm worried about picking the wrong place. Hmmm...

Melanie
While there has been some confusion about charges for some brides, the cost is usually not exorbitantly high, i.e. you won't owe like 2000$ more than you thought. It might be a couple hundred dollars (i.e. when they started charging 150$ for the speaker system at the ceremony and the reception, and people had to pay the fee twice instead of once). If you keep yourself a small reserve fund for unexpected surprised you should be fine. Compare their prices with the other resorts you have in mind to see which offers the better value (DT is still much cheaper than a lot of others).

There are no private ceremony locaitons on the beach, but... and this is the first time I even really think of this, perhaps you could ask to have your ceremony further down the beach past Seaside Grill, but it would not be at the gazebo. If you look at the pictures posted on page 2, you can see how there is nothing past the gazebo. If you had your wedding further, say near the pile of rocks or even just past that, there would be no one around (although nothing stops a few lurkers from walking over, but that would probably be at most 1-2 people, not like having a small crowd of people sitting on their beach chairs at the beach watching). Why not ask the coordinators if this is an option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisha316 View Post
To the ladies, Honeybear, and ESP Sunbride:)

I am having the ultimate dreams package and with the advice of sunbride I think we are going to go ahead forgo the cocktail hour and meet at one of the bars and pay the extra per person for the silver or gold menu for the dinner...my question to you all is...
1) Which bar should I have everyone meet at before the reception that would be NICE and close to the beach wedding and our reception location...which brings me to my next question...
2) Where to have the reception...? I saw a beautiful set up on Starlitk's by the pool, but not sure which one it is, and which pool is the one with the arch walkway? We are having 42 guests so what would be the best option?
3) I don't think we are having a DJ. Just bringing the ipod...i have seen some girls do that and it worked out great. Can I have music as I walk down the BEACH:) to my hubby?
4) How do we set up the Ipod...should I bring my own BOSE docking station...it's pretty loud...? Or do they have something I can use and what would be best? I want to avoid ALL extra or hidden costs as possible because we are ALSO having a Stateside reception which is enlarging our budget!! thanks ladies:) Love this forum!! Love all of you...and can't wait for the Oct 10th wedding pix and review post!!smile72.gif
Hi Tisha,

I saw that you are getting married July 2010, do you have your date picked yet? I'm getting married July 10, 2010 at 3pm. I'm going to have a big wedding too - 30-40 guests!

I'm still deciding between beach and dolphin pool for reception, as they are both beautiful locations.

As for the ipod, they have a docking station/speaker system, but they charge for it twice. This is what I was quoted by Aurora:

The cost for the sound system is $165 usd only for the ceremony per 30 min. and if you want to use the sound system for the reception you have to pay $ 240 usd per 3 hours.

As for a bar that is close to the beach, I'm not sure, we'll have to get info from past brides on that one wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by krista.baird View Post
Hi Tisha,

I saw that you are getting married July 2010, do you have your date picked yet? I'm getting married July 10, 2010 at 3pm. I'm going to have a big wedding too - 30-40 guests!

I'm still deciding between beach and dolphin pool for reception, as they are both beautiful locations.

As for the ipod, they have a docking station/speaker system, but they charge for it twice. This is what I was quoted by Aurora:

The cost for the sound system is $165 usd only for the ceremony per 30 min. and if you want to use the sound system for the reception you have to pay $ 240 usd per 3 hours.

As for a bar that is close to the beach, I'm not sure, we'll have to get info from past brides on that one wink.gif
I sent an email asking if there would be an extra charge if I wanted to use the sound system during cocktail hour if I pay the $150 for the ceremony. I am getting married in the chapel and am having coctail hour outside of the chapel so I dont think it would be a big deal relocating it. Has anyone not had music during cocktail hour? I hired an outside DJ for the reception.

Hi Ladies!

I got the worst news possible today! I have to change my wedding date!

My fiance s a Urologist and has to write his licensing exam the day after our wedding! For the past 25 yrs the exam has been the last Sunday and Monday of May. That is why we scheduled our wedding for the week later. This year of all years, the exam date has been changed to June 6th and 7th, agghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I have already booked the resort, rooms, photographer and DJ. I have sent out e-mails to everyone and now I am waiting to ear back from Aurora for change of date.

I was hoping to chage it to the week of June 20th-26th................My dj has e-mialed me back and told me he is available any of those dates. Still waiting on the photographer. I am so stressed about this! To make matters worse, I sent out my invites and they are message in a bottle. Engraved on the bottle is June 5th, 2010..................omg........

I already told all of my guests, no one had booked yet for this reason as I asked them to kindliy wait to ave the official date of the exam.....thank god noone else had booked.

My travel agent is going t speak with her eeps in mexico and is going to talk with the Geeral manager at Dreams to see if they ould waive the penalty fee for the rooms already booked...............

This was so unexpected.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBeachBabe View Post
Hi Ladies!

I got the worst news possible today! I have to change my wedding date!

My fiance s a Urologist and has to write his licensing exam the day after our wedding! For the past 25 yrs the exam has been the last Sunday and Monday of May. That is why we scheduled our wedding for the week later. This year of all years, the exam date has been changed to June 6th and 7th, agghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I have already booked the resort, rooms, photographer and DJ. I have sent out e-mails to everyone and now I am waiting to ear back from Aurora for change of date.

I was hoping to chage it to the week of June 20th-26th................My dj has e-mialed me back and told me he is available any of those dates. Still waiting on the photographer. I am so stressed about this! To make matters worse, I sent out my invites and they are message in a bottle. Engraved on the bottle is June 5th, 2010..................omg........

I already told all of my guests, no one had booked yet for this reason as I asked them to kindliy wait to ave the official date of the exam.....thank god noone else had booked.

My travel agent is going t speak with her eeps in mexico and is going to talk with the Geeral manager at Dreams to see if they ould waive the penalty fee for the rooms already booked...............

This was so unexpected.........
I'm so sorry to hear that! I really don't like when things are so expected, and then they go and change the regular pattern of testing...Luckily though, you have been so diligent in planning things so far in advance, that hopefully there will be no problem in switching things around! I hope your photographer is still free that week too! :) I know it's hard when unexpected things happen, but try and stay positive! All these little hiccups won't even be on your mind on that beautiful day when you stand up there and marry the love of your life! :)

Kristia,

I am getting married the same week as you- July 15th! I've been waiting to find someone that's getting married the same week as me, I'm so excited! Would you be interested in sharing decor and splitting the cost? I would love to hear all about your plans. If you would like, sent me a private message. Maybe we could exchange phone numbers and emails. Happy Planning:)

it does sounds like the cost for renting speakers has gone up from $150 to $165. As in, $165 for the ceremony, then another $165 for the reception. Heck, for that price I can just buy one of the Bose iPod docking stations and bring it with me! They have a portable one for $300, and they have a big sound that I think would really carry outside.