The new Dreams Tulum thread! (Post all DT Qs&As here)

Hi Bananniebread

Thanks for responding!  Yay another November bride!  I'm getting married on November 21 at 4pm. Thanks for the link...very useful.  I guess I'll have to see if I can PM one of the past brides for more reception information.   I'll keep you posted on any info that I find out.  

By the way, when are you planning on sending out invitations?

Happy planning to you as well!

The chapel is pretty small. You probably could fit 60 in there - but most would be standing and jammed in there. I can't imagine it would be comfortable. The guide that I have says a max of 40 people in the chapel - and I think that's pushing it.

I don't think El Patio is even an option for a private event. I know it wasn't when I got married last November. Either pay the $750 event fee and get the Seaside Grill (subject to the 70% occupancy and minimum number of guests), have one on the beach or at the pools or in one of the ballrooms - those were the only options for private receptions. The rest of the hotel guests have to eat somewhere, which is why they have those restrictions on wedding recptions. If you want oustide but covered, Seaside Grill is your only option. We did straight on the beach next to the Seaside Grill and loved it, but we didn't have a lot of wind. Other nights, it was a bit blustery, so it would have been a bit more difficult.

You're also going to find it hard because the wedding co-ordiantors have probably a few hundred wedding between now and November - so they aren't going to focus on yours until the fall. Once they send you the big planning guide, that's when the real planning begins.

Hi Sheena2011

Thanks again for a very thorough reply. That really helps.

A beach wedding was never something my FH and I considered.  When we were researching, we were looking at only chapels and gazebos for ceremony sites.  There were only two on-resort chapels that we found in the Mayan Riviera and we really didn't like the other resort.  I think Natalia had mentioned she could set up chairs for the chapel ceremony but I'm not sure where she meant she would do that (inside vs. outside).  I'll have to clarify.  

As for the reception, when I asked Natalia about reception spaces that fit my criteria, she only mentioned the Seaside Grill but at that point, I knew nothing about El Patio.  I'll have to specifically ask about it when I gather a bit more information from this site.  I've only emailed her once since I booked my wedding in January, and I don't want to bother her needlessly if I can get the info on here.  I PM'd one of the previous brides that had her reception at El Patio, so hopefully I'll get some more insight into that location.

Thanks again.

Im new to this and hoping past brides from dreams tulum can help me out !!! Im getting married nov 26th 2012 and having between 10 and 20 people not comfirmed yet. Im planning on doing the dreams of love packages, and jw if thats a good decision or is the ultimate package better ? also I'm not wanting to pay the private event cost i think its $750 for dinner is there any places i can have the dinner or do i just have to reserve seats at a restaurant,is there other options? i heard from past brides somethings u can have the dinner on the hut on the beach is that still an option? Also if i bring my own decorations can my family set them up so we dont have to pay a set up fee? I'm starting to stress out which is why i wanted a destination wedding to avoid that lol just feel like i have alot of questions. It would be very helpful if past or future brides could let me know if they choose any extras that were not included in the wedding packages. Thanks :)

Hola DT Brides,

This hotel is an amazing location and one of favorite spots for Wedding Stories. I can say many things about this property but will focus on Ceremony Locations this time and a few tips and ideas to keep it short:

1. Don't let anyone talk you out of having your ceremony start time be anything but 1.5 hours prior to sunset. This will give you great light for your ceremony, and even better sunset light for your beach portraits!! Plus it will save your guests from terrible mid-day heat : )

Sheena+Chris_W_0003.jpg

2. Dreams Tulum has a beautiful beach location that can accommodate practically any size of group. The Chapel is small and best suited for groups of 30 or less.

Sheena+Chris_W_0135.jpg

Keellin+John_W_0105.jpg

3. Remember that your day will be spectacular simply because of the love you surround yourself with, regardless of the details! Know that something in the plans may have a glitch - let's face it, what plans are ever flawless? Just plan enough to allow yourself to be stress free for your special day, but be flexible enough to let whatever happens, happen.......

Keellin+John_W_0326.jpg

Want to see more pictures of this location?? Check out our website: http://www.delsolphotography.com/blog.

Dee Dreams:

Congrats!  Try not to stress.  I've been spending a bit of time on here to find questions to my answers.  I'm going to have a larger group,so I will pretty much have to pay the fee.  I think that if you want a free reception space, you can do a beach reception, poolside reception, reception in the wine cellar, in the hut on the beach (not sure if this is still available), or they can section off a part of one of the restaurants.  I know that if you decide to have a reception in one of the restaurants, it won't be private and you won't be able to have a DJ/dancing.

As for setup, I think that you can have family set things up as long as they don't have to get up on a ladder and it doesn't involve electrical work; they won't let you do that in case anything were to happen.  That's what I've read on here so far.

As for packages, it really depends on what you want and need.  It was more cost-effective for us to get the ultimate package because of the amount of stuff that it offers that we want and the amount of people that we are going to have (about 60).  You'll need to crunch some numbers and see if you even need a package to begin with or if you can get the free package and add to it.  You may have already done this.  We chose the ultimate over the dreams of love because for $800 , we get the mexican trio, the video and the gold wedding cake that we wanted...plus some other stuff.  When you add it all up for us, it's worth it.

Hope that helps.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello BTB

I have another question..... what is everyone doing for music during the ceremony? Are you sticking with "here comes the bride"? I just thought of this now. Also we are bringing down gifts for our guests. Has anyone had the hotel delivery the gifts. This makes me a little nervous as they may mess up names. They also charge $3 per gift. Also any thoughts on the spa. I am so picky with my hair and I do wear extensions. I am wondering if they would struggle with fake hair.

p.s. Love that last picture in the rain. It is AMAZING!

I have 64 days to go. It is sneaking up on me.

Thanks for the Reply Bea bride cheesy.gif :) Im also getting married at 4pm but on nov 26th

I was just wondering does anyone have advice on if the pool side or beach would be better for reception only thing i worry about on the beach is sand blowing in the food lol.The wine celler will cost 250$ plus tax to reserve and i dont want to pay extra. Also im going with the dreams of love package and trying to decide between the flank steak and chicken, any help :S Any advice on any of the food in the dreams of love package would be great including or d'oeuvres, appitizer, main course, dessert, and cake Its so hard to decide!! Also other brides or past brides are u bringing extra decorations like paper lanterns ect

Hi Ladies

I haven't yet decided on ceremony music but I think that they is a thread on here somewhere about ceremony related stuff like music and readings.  I copied the hand blessing reading off of there.  

As for reception beach vs. pool, I know it can be windy at night and from what I've read on here.  I'm not sure how much the pool areas are sheltered from the wind vs how windy it may be on the beach. I'm not even sure that it would be windy enough to have sand blow on the tables.  

On earlier posts in this thread (maybe the first 100 page...I can't remember), it has been said that you can't really go wrong with whatever you choose food-wise since it's all good.  That was back in 2010 or around there though.  I don't think that I've read any recent food reviews.  I'm thinking that they make these menus so often with all the weddings and special events that we don't really have much to worry about.  I think that it boils down to personal preference.  We will probably go with the steak option. I've heard that the "3  milks" wedding cake is really good so I think we'll go with that one.  I think it's called "tres leche" or something like that in Spanish.

I will be bringing extra decorations but I haven't decided what yet.  I'm kind of stuck on what to do for centrepieces.  I don't want to spend too much, I'd like it to be easy to transport there but also pretty.  Any thoughts?  I would love to see pictures from past brides but haven't seen any.

Matt, those first few pictures look really familiar..... cheesy.gif

The pool reception areas are sheltered by a few palm trees - that's pretty much it. The beach reception area has a few palm trees as well, but it's a bit more open. We got lucky and there was next to no wind on the night we got married - but there were other nights that would have been challenging.

We walked down the aisle to "Yellow" by Coldplay, but it was done by the Vitamin String Quartet. They have a huge catalogue of songs to chose from, all pop or rock songs but done to strings. We turned it into a big of a supper game - who can guess the song? The husband picked all the music we played over supper and is one of the few that can say he got Metallica, Gun s Roses, etc played at his wedding. All to strings and the parents were none the wiser (they just thought it was lovely instrumnetal music), but the boys thought it was awesome.

As for the food - here's a hint. We had the Dreams of Love package, but did not have to stick to the Dreams of Love menu. We ordered off the Ultimate menu (oh the filet was so good). We did not have to pay extra for this - but if we went over the 20 people, we would have had to pay the ultimate price for each extra person (which was about $10 more than the Dreams of Love price per person). And yes - the tres leche cake is pretty darn good. Highly recommended.

We just brought menus, paper lanterns and white fabric for the arch. I had the resort do centrepieces to match my bouquet. I think you can see them in the slideshow attached to my resort review.