Sign in to follow this  
Maura

Great engagement or shower gift!

Hey gals,

I've had several close friends get engaged in the last few weeks, and for my shower in June, my aunt gave me this really cool gift for my wedding day.

It's a sixpence to wear inside your shoe on your wedding day for good luck, and is a traditional part of the "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" fame. the sixpence coin is a lesser known part of the tradition.

The sixpence is tucked into a beatiful ivory card, that has scalloped light blue edges and is letterpressed with blue print.

The card says:

Something old, (an item from a happily married woman to bring future bliss)

something new, (the bride's wedding attire)

something borrowed, (an object of gold to promise good fortune)

something blue, (symbolic of true love)

and a sixpence in your shoe. (worn inside the bride's shoe to ensure prosperity.

I think this is such a great sentimental gift and I plan to buy one for each of my recently engaged girlfriends. I will also take mine to Cabo to be photographed as one of my "details" shots.

Here's a photo of it (sorry it's kinda hard to read):

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's where she purchased it from (they are $15 each):

Sixpence Wedding Gift for the Bride

they also come with a slip of paper that explains the history of the tradition. the sixpence is also a genuine minted coin from the UK! (btw, sixpence have not been minted in the UK since 1970!)

That is a great gift! I forgot about that on my wedding day. Dammit! We won't be prosperous!

im wearing flip flops and plan to tape mine to the sole of my shoe wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
im wearing flip flops and plan to tape mine to the sole of my shoe wink.gif
Sneaky you wink.gif

I was thinking of tucking it in one of my boobs but that kind of ruins the rhyme, now doesn't it...

Something old,
something new,
something borrowed,
something blue,
and a sixpence in your boob.

rofl.gif

i think it would still count if you had it sewed into the hem of the bottom of your dress, someone suggested that to me in case the flip flop tape doesnt work

We used a bandaid to tape one to the inside sole of Katie's shoe and she says she couldn't feel it there at all. I have a few sixpences that I believe came from my MIL's house. We also used to use sixpences as part of our Christmas dinner. We used to put them in the Christmas pudding, which is a fruit type of cake/dessert traditionally served at Christmas.