• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#101 NyBeachBride

NyBeachBride
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carolina24
    i thought you glued the second and third piece? wouldnt you put the pic on the second piece of glass?
    yes you glue the 2nd and 3rd glass. so you are able to remove the 1st glass. the picture is taped on top of the 2nd glass. so when u remove the 1st glass it gives u access to the pic.

ladies, check out this thread. when i found the frame i made this thread. i even have pics of before and after

http://bestdestinati....84/index8.html
    "

#102 Roxyjude

Roxyjude
    • 219 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

Great idea!

#103 kyates

kyates
      • 10 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:43 PM

Bought the Umbra Ether frame in expresso from Linens n Things.com for $25 plus 2.99 shipping. I'm off to Michaels for the flora bond or glass glue! This is one of my many last minute DIY projects, I hope it turns out! Thanks ladies!

#104 kyates

kyates
        • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

Okay! I just got the frame in the mail today, I'm nervous about the whole glue part. I read that one bride took out the third piece of glass for a bigger slot for the sand. I think that will make it heavier by a bit, but I think it will make it easier to get the sand in during the ceremony. The last piece of glass on the back is frosted and has lines across it. I thought about putting the extra piece of clear glass there so the sand is also visible from the back. I don't think you would be able to see through the sand to the back if I keep it in though, right?

#105 cathyandchin

cathyandchin
          • 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by kyates
            Okay! I just got the frame in the mail today, I'm nervous about the whole glue part. I read that one bride took out the third piece of glass for a bigger slot for the sand. I think that will make it heavier by a bit, but I think it will make it easier to get the sand in during the ceremony. The last piece of glass on the back is frosted and has lines across it. I thought about putting the extra piece of clear glass there so the sand is also visible from the back. I don't think you would be able to see through the sand to the back if I keep it in though, right?
            I was also planning on replacing the striped glass with the clear but I guess you're right about not seeing through the sand. It might be better just to keep the frosted in place and remove a clear and keep THAT one for safe keeping for whatever reason...
            http://tickers.Ticke....7ab3/event.png

18 adults + 2 kids booked + bride and groom

#106 taylorwd

taylorwd
            • 932 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

We're keeping all 4 panes and pouring sand between the last two. We already did this during our ceremony and it worked out fine...plenty of room to pour the sand if the other openings are covered up. So our setup is: front pane, second pane with picture, glue third pane (frosted), glue fourth pane (clear). IMO, the sand looks really cool when poured behind the frosted pane. Keeping all 4 panes allows you to remove the pane with the picture on it when you want to change it out.

So onto the gluing... Unfortunately it didn't work well for us. We went to Michael's and bought glass glue, but when we used it, it got crusty around the edge. We were very careful not to use too much. So now we're not sure what we're going to do!

#107 CaraW

CaraW
              • 346 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Hi ladies!
                Just wanted to let you know that the sand ceremony frame worked out great for us!
                My husband removed one pane of glass, glued the first one (not the 2nd one) and the last pane. I will have to ask him again exactly what he did because I sort of left it in his hands. LOL
                Here's a picture

Click the image to open in full size.

We actually re-did the sand when we got home because A) it didn't stay in the frame very well travelling back to Canada. And B) We didn't like the way it turned out. Maybe practice once so that it's not half and half like ours was. :) LOL

#108 taylorwd

taylorwd
                • 932 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:04 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by CaraW
                  Hi ladies!
                  Just wanted to let you know that the sand ceremony frame worked out great for us!
                  My husband removed one pane of glass, glued the first one (not the 2nd one) and the last pane. I will have to ask him again exactly what he did because I sort of left it in his hands. LOL
                  Here's a picture

Click the image to open in full size.

We actually re-did the sand when we got home because A) it didn't stay in the frame very well travelling back to Canada. And B) We didn't like the way it turned out. Maybe practice once so that it's not half and half like ours was. :) LOL
                  Would you mind finding out which glue he used? That's been our big problem, finding one that you can't see and dries well.

#109 katelynn

katelynn
                  • 414 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

for us Canadian girls...I just ordered from the umbra website and it came to just under $40 canadian with purolator shipping within 7 business days. I felt it was better to do this than ebay or amazon as its in us funds etc..
                    Today I marry my bestfriend, the one I laugh with, the one I love.

#110 tomato01

tomato01
                    • 15 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

Great idea about the Umbra frame - I just placed a phone order with the Toronto store for $25 - will be picking it up next week!  Thanks again ladies for this great idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users