Tell us something interesting about your neighborhood...

Alyssa

The actual neighbourhood I live in is just your average suburban neighbourhood, complete with nosy neighbours who leave notes if your garbage happens to blow around on a windy day, and let their dogs poop on the lawn without picking it up. shitfan.gif Really fun.

The city it is a suburb of (Ottawa) is the capitol of Canada, full of history and politics...love the history part, not so much the politics. Our hockey team came close to winning the Stanley Cup two seasons ago, but lost to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks...at least it was to another team no one thought stood a chance. Tom Cruise went to high school here, Dan Ackroyd grew up here (and my husband had the pleasure of serving him ice cream and having drinks with him one summer), as did Bryan Adams, Alanis Morissette, and Tom Green. The largest Canada Day celebration takes place on Parliament Hill ever July 1st, and we are home to the world's longest skating rink, the Rideau Canal. As cold as winter gets, nothing beats bundling up and heading to the canal for a hot chocolate and a Beaver tail.

That's about all I can think of right now, but I know there's probably a bit more I should know. I've lived here for eighteen years but have only ever scraped the surface of what the city has to offer.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat81 View Post
What the heck is a Beaver Tailhuh.gif
I knew I'd get asked that! cheesy.gif

It's just a deep fried pastry with different toppings on it...the best is cinnamon and sugar, but you can get chocolate and icing sugar and I think there is a garlic one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartyt509 View Post
Can't comment i'll get banned lmao fryingpan.gif
rofl.gif Too funny! I have a pretty good idea what you're thinking though

I live in a "smart neighborhood." It was basically a forest 5 years ago. They just finished construction like 6 months ago. Our townhouses are all wired with cable, internet and phone service(This is the "smart" part). It's included in our HOA fees. We live in northern Virginia, so the townhouses start at about half a mil. Our poor asses didn't pay that much. We got our townhouse through a housing program at a fraction of what it costs to live in this area. My parents live down the street in a townhouse that I swear is bigger than a single family house we used to live in. My mom drives by our house super slow to see what we are up to. Our neighbor has 2 teenage daughters who seem pretty well behaved, but I know everyone thought I was well behaved at that age too... haha. Every once in a while there are swarms of teenage boys just hanging out.

i live in morris township, nj. morris township is built around morris plains, which is built around morristown - picture it like an uneven archery target. because it's uneven, my development is the only part of morris township for miles. the difference between township and plains is the school system, and township has the better one. so we live on the shit side of township, but have the good schools anyway.

our neighborhood is quiet. lots of families and young couples starting out. some people are friendly, and most people say hi. funniest thing is that our neighbors are lauren and keith :) lauren drove the same car as me when we first moved in too. our neighbor on the other side is a junk collector and has no running water. he's creepy as hell...his mother owns the house and the two lots, but she's 90+ and in a nursing home. the township has tried to take the house away from him b/c he hasn't paid taxes in years but b/c the house is in her name, they can't do anything until she croaks. he's recently been in jail for telling the mother's nurse that hitler should have finished the job....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorlack76 View Post
I live in a town called Rockford, IL, home of the great band Cheap Trick (no they are not from Chicago...they are from Rockford.) We are also the home of Aiden Quinn (second rate film actor...usually never gets a lead role.) Well, lets see...we have the highest crime rate per capita in Illinois. We have about 150000 people in Rockford. Im on a corner lot, so I have a bunch of nabors. One of my nabors lets their grass and weeds get way too long. Another has the police at her house at least once per week. Her son was arrested last year for selling a gun to an undercover cop. Yeah, he's out of prison already and now selling dope out of the home. How do I know this, because I watch him to the hand to hand transactions. Another nabor of mine was arrested for Armed Robbery about a month ago. He is currently pending trial. And my last nabors are great...Bob and Ellen. They are a holy family. Bob is a preacher, and they homeschooled their children. They are a great family and very musically talented.

Every morning, I am waken up (and annoyed the rest of the day) because I live on a main thoroughfare and have people with loud sound amplification systems bumping their music up and down my street. I cant tell you how thrilled I am to live in this neighborhood and city. Boo hoo :)
I use to spend way too much time in Rockford on business. My coworkers and I called it Mayberry U.S.A.

My neighborhood is about a mile from downtown Greenville, SC. It's called Augusta Road area" and is filled with beautiful and big older houses that have been renovated and tree-lined sidewalks that are always filled with joggers, moms and dad's walking their babys in strollers, etc. Very established older neighborhood which I love. The area is fabulos b/c we can walk downtown through the park system and there are outdoor festivals with live music, food and drinks on Main Street (they shut down parts of the street) every Thursday and Friday nights (April through October). Then, there are huge street festivals a few times a year with big-name bands, etc. It is a fabulous city t live in and is always rated as one of the Top 50 Places to live.

As for Martha's Thread HiJack, we think one of our neighbors are swingers. They are nice but very weird.

I live in Boston- a city known for its neighborhoods. Specifically I live in Back Bay- an officially recognized neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. It is an upscale residential, retail, and commercial office district.

Back Bay (and neighboring Beacon Hill) are considered Boston's most expensive neighborhoods, with townhouses regularly selling for millions of dollars. Popular upmarket shopping destinations include Newbury and Boylston Streets as well as the Prudential Center and Copley Place malls.

The quaint, tree-lined streets in this neighborhood are filled with brownstone shops, restaurants, bars and upscale housing. The Public Garden is the neighborhood border. From there, you can amble along the wide sidewalks of Commonwealth Avenue or down lively Newbury or Boylston Streets. There are many types of international foods available, from tapas to sushi. Numerous bars serve as meeting places for talking, drinking and dancing. Also in the neighborhood are the John Hancock Tower and the Prudential Center , two of Boston's most prominent skyscrapers.

The building I live in was designed for the founder of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and the son-in-law of Harvard's naturalist Louis Agazziz. Recently this area has been full of camera crews, actors, etc filming upcoming movies. The second part of Pink Panther was filmed across the street from my building not too long. Women, The Ghost of My Ex Girlfriend, and at least 5 other movies have been filmed doors away from me or across the street.