how do i do the dress shopping thing?

Hi there, smile124.gif

So I am mildly anxious about trying on a bunch of dresses. I have mixed feelings. I love to shop but I usually like doing it alone. I don't like the whole coming out and showing everyone fashion show scenario.

Anyway, My best friend, my mom and I are heading over to RK bridal on Saturday. I have done a little research online and have style numbers and pics of what I have seen out there that I like. I will bring that.

How does it work exactly? I just want to be prepared. They don't accept appt's so I'll just show up armed with some pics ready to go. Do you guys think that I should try to go to more than one place in a day, or where you over it after the first place? I am planning a david's bridal adventure as well but that's another day cause there is not one in NYC. (can you believe that?)

any input is welcome. TIA!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did it in 3 days to make it easy. The first day was just my best friend and she said it was time to go "work". She had me try on about 20 dresses one of every style, neckline, fabric, everything. She did this with me to 1. get the emotions out of the way (which I appreciated because every dress was amazing...) and 2. so when it came to the day to go with mom and girl friends, I knew what looked good on me and had a few to re-try on and picked new ones.

I then went back to the same place with mom only to get her emotions out of the way and show here what I had narrowed it down to.

The actual wedding dress shopping "day" ended up being great because I had done this. We went to 3 places, and tried on about 9 dresses. Was easy to narrow down by that point.

Have fun with it (and don't forget to book a champagne lunch in the middle to give you all a break and a laugh).

Remember that you will be in the dressing room with the attendant most likely (all 3 places I went, they never left the room) and no pics...

I would say...

1) Keep your options open. You may think you know what you want, but don't let that stop you from trying something new.

2) Before you go, set a budget. If you only want to spend $1000, don't make an appointment at Vera Wang

3) I'd say shop over a few days. Don't try on 20 dresses at one sitting. It is hard work getting in and out of those things! After a while they kinda all start to look the same, especially if you do find a style you like. You won't notice different lace patterns or the difference in a French Bustle.

4) Be sure you wear nice undergraments and shave your legs! LOL Hot pink boy shorts might show through some gowns.

5) Be prepared to order a bigger size than what you normally wear. THis doesn't mean you are fat, the designers are stupid. My dress was 3 sizes larger than my street clothes.

6) If you do find a dress, be careful about being "upsold" on accessories. There are lots of places to find veils, shoes, headpieces, etc. at a fraction of the cost most boutiques charge. I personally wouldn't want to do business with a company that wouldn't give you a discount on additional items if you don't purchase on the same day. I bought a garter for the AHR, even after my wedding, and I still got my 10% discount!

I was just about to say everything Erin just said. It really is exhausting getting in and out of those dresses. You get frustrated after a while and tired. I would say spread it out over a few days. Don't try dresses on that are above what you can spend. And don't limit what you try on to what you have picked out. The dress I got was NOT what I thought I wanted at all. Have fun with it. As soon as it is a hassle and not fun stop and start again another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinB View Post
I would say...

1) Keep your options open. You may think you know what you want, but don't let that stop you from trying something new.

2) Before you go, set a budget. If you only want to spend $1000, don't make an appointment at Vera Wang.

3) I'd say shop over a few days. Don't try on 20 dresses at one sitting. It is hard work getting in and out of those things! After a while they kinda all start to look the same, especially if you do find a style you like. You won't notice different lace patterns or the difference in a French Bustle.

4) Be sure you wear nice undergraments and shave your legs! LOL Hot pink boy shorts might show through some gowns.

5) Be prepared to order a bigger size than what you normally wear. THis doesn't mean you are fat, the designers are stupid. My dress was 3 sizes larger than my street clothes.

6) If you do find a dress, be careful about being "upsold" on accessories. There are lots of places to find veils, shoes, headpieces, etc. at a fraction of the cost most boutiques charge. I personally wouldn't want to do business with a company that wouldn't give you a discount on additional items if you don't purchase on the same day. I bought a garter for the AHR, even after my wedding, and I still got my 10% discount!
I agree 100%!!! I had an inspiration "book" with me of things that i loved that i wanted to see in my wedding dress. i had tons of pics of dresses i loved, pictures of lace, etc. If you have an idea try to communicate that to the person helping you, but at the same time keep an open mind because what you like in the pictures, you may not like on yourself!

Also - be prepared to be in your panties standing around. I got very intimate with my bridal consultant trying to get into a number of different dresses. But they are professionals and do this every day.

Good luck! And have fun!!!

I know how you feel because I just went through this same thing a couple of weeks ago (my first dress shopping excursion). The only thing I can stress is to be open to trying on a lot of different styles...I've narrowed it down to the shape that looks best on me, but it's never what I thought I would have wanted! So definitely keep an open mind. Everyone else gave great advice. I'm going to do 2 stores per day but spread the days out over a few weeks at a time...otherwise I think it can get overwhelming (plus I have the luxury of having a lot of time to shop around). It'll probably take me 6 months to find the dress and actually purchase it!

You all gave wonderful advice!

I was thinking everything would start looking the same after a while. That happens when I look in mags and online too.

omg I totally thought it would be my friend not the attendant zipping me in. Yikes- I guess i will shave. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamille View Post
You all gave wonderful advice!

I was thinking everything would start looking the same after a while. That happens when I look in mags and online too.
omg I totally thought it would be my friend not the attendant zipping me in. Yikes- I guess i will shave. :)
At David's Bridal you can have your friend in there with you.

The people I worked with were very respectful of privacy. I was the one running around half naked.

I was going to have my mom help me but it was nice for her to get to sit outside and oooh when I came out of the dressing room.

Also, I was afraid of something breaking, not fitting, etc. The assistant can be al little rougher with the gowns, they know how to lace a corset and fasten buttons, and they but them back on the hangers for you!

One other tip...

If you go to a store that doesn't sell shoes, be sure to take a pair of average height heels with you (if you plan to wear them). You will walk differently in heels, and how the dress moves with your body is a big thing!

Oh and another tip...

Don't worry about looking like a goofball. Bend, sit, dance, raise your arms, etc. These are all natural actions that you will do on your wedding day in your dress, so you need to be sure you can do them!

Erin-

Such good advice on the shoe thing. I am walking barefoot which i feel will be romantic and lovely on the sand in Mexico but under the harsh lights of the dressing room I really don't want to look like an oompa loompa with no heels to elongate my leg. I am thinking of wearing a wedge for the reception so I guess I'll bring those. thanks!