Photo

Painting parasols?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 princessina

princessina
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:53 PM

Okay, so I know this is an old thread but I wanted to bring it back to life to see if anyone has actually painted their parasols. I have a whole bunch of parasols that I want to paint for my guests but I don't know what type of paint to use that will last.

My parasols are coated. What's better to stencil, paste monogram under the parasol and trace, or even airbrush? I feel like I've thought of every possible way to try but don't want to waste any on trial and error. Thanks in advance.

#42 Kits55

Kits55
    • 607 posts
    • Wedding Location:Secrets Maroma Beach
    • LocationRiviera Maya, Mexico

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BayBug
    I really like the parasols from
    Okay, so I know this is an old thread but I wanted to bring it back to life to see if anyone has actually painted their parasols. I have a whole bunch of parasols that I want to paint for my guests but I don't know what type of paint to use that will last.

My parasols are coated. What's better to stencil, paste monogram under the parasol and trace, or even airbrush? I feel like I've thought of every possible way to try but don't want to waste any on trial and error. Thanks in advance.
    I hope this thread comes back to life too because i have yet to buy and make my parasols although I'm having problems finding other girls who have done them! I did read about a couple of other girls on "that" website but they won't tell, they have their own little online businesses to make them for other brides. What I am going to do is find someone with a projector, project whatever I want onto the top of the parasol. Then trace the outline and paint from there. I am planning on using acrylic paints and probably rice paper parasols, although there is an Australian company that has fabric parasols that can withstand water....oh, the options!

Did you paint yours yet?

#43 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 10,366 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:22 AM

Quote:
      I hope this thread comes back to life too because i have yet to buy and make my parasols although I'm having problems finding other girls who have done them! I did read about a couple of other girls on "that" website but they won't tell, they have their own little online businesses to make them for other brides. What I am going to do is find someone with a projector, project whatever I want onto the top of the parasol. Then trace the outline and paint from there. I am planning on using acrylic paints and probably rice paper parasols, although there is an Australian company that has fabric parasols that can withstand water....oh, the options!

Did you paint yours yet?
      what are you trying to paint on it? do you want to do this yourself?

#44 Kits55

Kits55
      • 607 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by MsShelley
      what are you trying to paint on it? do you want to do this yourself?
      I'm trying to paint 3 giants letters on it, monogram style. I'd also like to do one that says "Gracias" instead of "thank you" on it. Yes, I'm trying to do it myself. I may have to find a projector to use to either project on the wall so I can make a big stencil or I'm going to need to buy one but i really don't want to have to rush them because then it gets so expensive. It's really my fault for procrastinating...again!

#45 princessina

princessina
      • 192 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

I haven't yet painted mine. I've been procrastinating because I don't want to waste any on trial and error. I keep hearing about using metallic paint but have yet to try it. I was trying to see if I could dress them up a different way but it seems as if I'm limited to painting it or throwing a personalized tag on it.

I have to do a lot (about 85) so I was possibly thinking about airbrushing it but I don't even know how to airbrush. We'll see...

#46 Kits55

Kits55
        • 607 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:24 AM

Wow, I can't believe that you are dong so many! You're my new hero :)

I also thinking about adding feathers to mine. You can buy feathers that are like tiny boas that you can just glue around the edges for a classy look or you can glue them on individually but in your case I don't think that's so much an option. :)

I have seen girls spray the entire parasol but just in one color, I think it's diffused enough coming out of the can so as not to run or bleed really. I can't wait to see how yours turn out!

Quote:
        Originally Posted by princessina
        I haven't yet painted mine. I've been procrastinating because I don't want to waste any on trial and error. I keep hearing about using metallic paint but have yet to try it. I was trying to see if I could dress them up a different way but it seems as if I'm limited to painting it or throwing a personalized tag on it.

I have to do a lot (about 85) so I was possibly thinking about airbrushing it but I don't even know how to airbrush. We'll see...

#47 jmb0902

jmb0902
        • 496 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:31 AM

You guys should check out this website, they have beautiful parasols... I think I"m going to order one of the initial ones! They are $30. There are other cool ideas like ones that say "Thank You", etc.

I Do Originals

#48 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 10,366 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:38 PM

I just posted a DIY thread about painting parasols too, maybe that will help you.

#49 Prettyhazardous

Prettyhazardous
            • 712 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:14 AM

I have no desire to paint anything on my parasols. I think I'll get the ones from AsianIdeas. I like the idea of one per couple thou. That should work out good bc I don't expect guys to want to have them.

#50 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
              • 2,777 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

ok I contacted an etsy seller on how she did it and she was so nice to tell me! She uses rice paper parasols and just sketches out her design. If its just one letter she had made large stencils and she lightly traces the design on, then uses acrylic paint and paints it in!

So i will do this soon and let you girls know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users