Scouting the riviera...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagsieMexico View Post
Jason, I've read a lot of reviews about the 'new' vs the 'old' building at Dreams, that if you get the new one, you're fine, if you get the old one, you're stuck with no hot water and other problems.

Have you heard about this?
Is there a way to be sure you're in the new one?

Thanks!
I have heard the same thing. My plan is to hope for the best, and if that does not work, a twenty in the palm of the hotel registration desk clerk usually does the trick. I also plan on taking advantage of being able to say we are getting married and then on our honeymoon the whole time we are down there.

Good thinking, a few people said they had found it easy and successful just to request the new building.

Dreams Tulum sounds so perfect in so many ways, but I'm just worried it is a bit of a gamble, and I would feel bad if some of my guests were paying a lot to come to my wedding and got stuck in a room wtih no hot water and under construction! I know for you there are no guests, so that makes it a bit less of a worry... It does sound so perfect in lots of ways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagsieMexico View Post
Good thinking, a few people said they had found it easy and successful just to request the new building.

Dreams Tulum sounds so perfect in so many ways, but I'm just worried it is a bit of a gamble, and I would feel bad if some of my guests were paying a lot to come to my wedding and got stuck in a room wtih no hot water and under construction! I know for you there are no guests, so that makes it a bit less of a worry... It does sound so perfect in lots of ways!
I have heard mixed reviews on the old sections. Some people have had a bunch of problems like you said, but some others were fine. I guess it matters which room in particular you get sometimes.

Fortunately for us, we are not very picky when it comes to the room. Hell, we paid to stay in a place last year with no electricity, no lights, no services and sand floors. Best night of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambert13 View Post
We chose Dreams Tulum for a number of reasons.

1. Location. We love the town of Tulum, snorkeling, cenotes, Mayan ruins, Akumal and everything else around there. Being a 10 minute drive from my favorite restaurant in the world is a big plus.

2. Price. Very reasonable room rates

3. Wedding staff. I heard nothing but good about Sandra the coordinator there, and so far it has been true.

Other resorts in the running were, Secrets Capri, El Dorado Seaside Suites, Akumal Beach Resort, Bahia Principe, Dreams Cancun, Mezzanine Tulum and a few others.

Things have gotten easier and more complicated at the same time. The big decisions are out of the way now. But I go into ADD mode when I am planning anything and obsess over details. We felt the big decisions were the resort, photographer and type of ceremony to have.
What is your fav restaurant in the world, so we can be sure to try it while there?

My absolute favorite is Don Karonte which is in Tulum Pueblo. It's really nothing fancy. Average looking place, with good food. But the service and the atmosphere created by the people who work there was amazing. We stayed there for almost three hours and were hugging the waiters and rising shots of tequila in unison with the staff on our way out. The experience is definitely what you make of it. There were others there who were not having any fun at all, and the staff treated them accordingly and just did their job. Both of us love meeting new people though and it comes through in the way we interact with others. Some people there just got a good meal with good service. We had the time of our lives and got invited to a festival later in the week (that we could not get to because of time).

Other favorites down there are

Lucy's Tacos. A small taco shack in Akumal that serves homemade ice cream and the best tacos on the planet. You get a ton of food for under 10 dollars for 2 people

La Habichuela. Wonderful Yucatean cuisine in downtown Cancun. A little expensive, but well worth every penny. Plus, it gets you out of the hotel zone and into the real Cancun.

Pcao's Tacos. Roadside taco stand near the entrance to Puerto Adventuras. I love street cart food. Period. If you dont mind the thought of roadside tacos, this place will blow you away.