Jenna

I'm also in the beginning stages and was getting very nervous about the rates being quoted for next year. They are much higher than what we're currently seeing!

We ended up going with a group agreement. It is saving a couple hundred a night per guest (compared to what is being quoted by Riu currently). Prices could always drop but the TA does a price adjustment 30-60 days before the wedding if prices fall below what the quote is. On the other hand - prices could remain high or even go up, so the group rate guarantees the best rate possible.

We had to put down money to reserve the rooms (minimum of 10 rooms- $200 down each) but that money goes toward our package and/or is refunded when guests book.

Hope this helps.

Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Question for all the brides...how are all your guests booking rooms?? Did you put a deposit down? Or are you just letting your friends book their flight and rooms on their own? How did you book your room? Just trying to hammer out the begining details!
Thanks, jenna
All my guests booked through my TA.

Thanks for the advice. We are not going to put a deposit down---just too expensive.People can book via or ta or any other way they want. Just hope they do it sooner rather than later to make sure rooms are open. Not worried yet as info for feb won't get posted till april.

Thanks again girls! Our photographers were the fabulous Wedrockers, from Monterrey, MX. You can book them separately, two of them, three of them, or all four. We were extremely pleased with not just their work, but also the way they interacted with us and our guests. This is my review of them... http://bestdestinationwedding.com/fo...uaristi-56757/

Regarding the Mariachi, I really didn't think they were cheesy at all. And I absolutely hate any kind of cheesy-ness. I would describe it as festive, and really a once in a lifetime thing. We had our first dance and dances with our parents to their music, since we weren't having a private reception we didn't have any other way of having one. It was actually really fun and I think our guests all really loved it. I'm not sure how it would be without any kind of music, but I think having them added a lot to the cocktail hour.

The chair bows, in retrospect, are something I could have done without. They were very inexpensive though, and I like the splashes of color.

KimmyG- the Caribbean Trio was really good. I prefered the Harpist for the ceremony but think they would be a good alternative for your cocktail hour. I bet you good do you first dance to "Besa me mucho" (Kiss me a lot) or "La Bamba" I recall they sang those songs a bunch. wink.gif

I thought the mariachi was really good! When you think of mariachi cheezy does come to mind but these guys weren't cheesy, they were the real deal, professional mariachi. There were four of them and the singer had a strong, clear voice. The music was really upbeat which set the party mood. It must of been Chloe's mariachi we saw. :)

Chloe, your pics came out really nice, great photographer! I loved your hair and dress. You looked really beautiful. I had no idea you were from the forum until yesterday but when I saw your colors and BCBG dresses at the Riu I knew I had seen that theme from somewhere! I loved the colors and the guests by the pool kept commenting on the bride with the green shoes and how cool the idea was. Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyG View Post
Frenchie and Chloe, thanks for all your tips!
I don't want the private reception but I do want to have a first dance. Maybe I'll just do it to the live music?
Did anyone see the Caribbean Trio play? I thought about having them during the ceremony. Would the cocktail hour be too quiet without live music?
Is the Mariachi cheesy? I think I'd like it but I'm afraid it might seem a bit cheesy??

Everything I've ordered has been received, so now I'm just putting things together (hangover kits, keycard holders, etc). Lots of fun things left to do! A bit concerned about how I'm getting the bulky mugs and everything down to RPRM, ahh!

Time goes by so fast, don't let anyone tell you otherwise wink.gif hehe

The Trio were still a great idea for the ceremony and if you want to save money during the cocktail hour bring your portable Bose sound doc and iPod, they work on batteries too so if there isn't a place to plug it in it'll still work. The cocktail hour isn't too spread out so the sound should be good for that area, plus you could do your first dance to your "song" then also. Honestly, I wouldn't even tell them in advance you have your Bose so they don't charge you a last minute fee or something. If you don't have a Bose I am sure someone you know will.

At night there is a band that plays... they don't play very long and take a long break in between. Just when we were enjoying them they would stop and we would say, "that's it? where are they going??" lol. You can still do a dance later on at night while they play, but the Bose idea might be a more intimate way to ensure you have that special moment.

Hope this helped!