KimmyG & Shellk - I have not looked into the yacht info yet but I will do it sometime this week and let you all know.

Samira - welcome3.gif

We booked our travel through a local TA, however some people will be booking on their own through expedia and sites like that. I have yet to see how that will turn out. Like Desiree I have no idea what the costs for 2010 are, sorry I can't help you there.

Thanks for your opinions on the outfits! smile03.gif

I didn't have a chance to read through this thread yet, so this might have come up previously, but I am having such a hard time deciding on a location. RIU came highly recommended by a couple of different people but I read that if 80% of your guests do not stay at the same resort as the bride and groom (and wedding), then your wedding is cancelled. Do you know if this is true. I would like my guests to stay at the same resort, but I do not want to tell people that they MUST stay there. Isn't that a little scary that the wedding could get cancelled? I can see having to pay extra for them to come to the wedding but, not cancel it. Anyhow, I just wanted to see if anyone had heard more about this.

SDbeachgirl - I guess I never really thought much about where people would stay, I just assumed that they would stay at the same resort as us. So far that is what is going on, everyone is booking at the RPRM. I think most guests would want to spend the week with everyone, isn't that the fun part, vacation and a wedding!

Welcome Samira! I am also getting married in 2010...you can find the rates that I got through our TA on my website under the "travel info" section.

SDbeachgirl- I think they are pretty strict about having 80% of your guests staying at the Riu. Hopefully they don't want to stay anywhere else anyway, because if they do they won't be with everyone for the entire trip, unless of course they pay for a day pass to get into the Riu everyday you're there.

Lisa- I can't wait to see the pictures you posted! I'm sure they look great based on what everyone else said...I will look at them from my home computer tonight hopefully!

Hi Samira and SDbeachgirl!!

I think I might be able to answer a few questions for you. Samira, we are booking our trip with a travel agent who is going through a tour company (funjet). There are a lot of reasons we chose to go this route. The first is that we are getting a better price. Right now, with a minimum of 20 people in our group, we are getting the rates of $1645 for 7 nights and $1219 for 4 nights. That includes all flights and transfers. Also, for every 20 people that go into our group, one person goes for free. Dave and I are using that refund we get to take everyone on an excursion in Mexico. Another reason we are handing things this way is so that there is one person for your quests to go to with questions about the trip. It sounds like some of our guest plan on waiting till pretty last minute and trying to get a deal on Orbitz, and thats totally fine with me, but it just feels a little more safe to go through a tour company. It is my understanding that if you go through the Riu resort itself to book your stay, it is a little more expensive.

SDbeachgirl, I never really thought about the 80% rule, because I really didn't want anyone to book at another resort. The resorts seem to be their own little world, and since you're there for all your meals, beach time, and entertainment it seems like you really wouldn't see those people that didn't stay at the same resort as you. One of the things that really made me want to have a destination wedding is the idea that you get to spend a lot of good quality time with your nearest and dearest instead of only for a few minutes on your wedding day.

Lisa, I LOVE your bridal party outfits! The groomsmen pants are great, where did you get them?

Samira~ Welcome and congrats! I am also planning on a wedding next May- my travel agent has given me prices that don't include airfare and are...

3 nights- $580, 4 nt $754, 5 nt $934, 7 nt $1289- to reserve these rates I can book each room with a $150 deposit- but I have not even sent out my STD's yet and dont plan on reserving rooms- I will just let everyone know asap.

SDbeachgirl~ Hello :) I think they are pretty serious about the 80% occupancy and wouldn't want to risk it. I dont plan on offering any other resorts as options to my guests.

Katie/Kelly/Paige - Thanks so much for all the info!!!

Katie - I will also check out your website!

We have booked our date today June 5, 2010. I am super excited. But need to work on the Save the Dates now!

Paige - What kind of STD's are you sending out?

Samira