Jump to content

Photo

Rehearsal Dinner Etiquette


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LadyCheese

LadyCheese
  • Sr. Member
  • 1,830 posts

    Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

    Maybe a dumb question...but is the rehearsal dinner just for the bridal party or is it for all your guests?? For those who are having one, who ae you inviting? TIA

    #2 Spazz

    Spazz
    • VIP Member
    • 10,482 posts

      Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:51 AM

      We invited our bridal party and their dates and the immediate family that was not in the wedding (just Mike's 3 sisters). It was about 40 people in total. We couldn't invite everyone b/c we had 85 people there. If it was a smaller group, I would have invited everyone though.

      #3 LadyCheese

      LadyCheese
      • Sr. Member
      • 1,830 posts

        Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Lizz
        We invited our bridal party and their dates and the immediate family that was not in the wedding (just Mike's 3 sisters). It was about 40 people in total. We couldn't invite everyone b/c we had 85 people there. If it was a smaller group, I would have invited everyone though.
        I have about 50-60 coming...My TA was shocked that I was just inviting the bridal party and my parents and not the other guests. So I wasnt sure what was the right thing to do.

        #4 Christi

        Christi
        • Sr. Member
        • 1,905 posts

          Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:58 AM

          We invited everyone since it was a small group (30)....

          #5 Christi

          Christi
          • Sr. Member
          • 1,905 posts

            Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by LadyCheese
            I have about 50-60 coming...My TA was shocked that I was just inviting the bridal party and my parents and not the other guests. So I wasnt sure what was the right thing to do.
            If I had that many guests, I would have invited the same people you invited...I saw that a lot of people had a welcome drink with all of their guests as a way to welcome everyone, but without the expense of inviting everyone to the RD...

            #6 DreaW

            DreaW
            • Banned
            • 2,462 posts

              Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:06 PM

              We invited everyone. We only had 19 people there :)

              #7 Karen

              Karen
              • Sr. Member
              • 1,308 posts

                Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:07 PM

                According to Emily Post.com "The rehearsal dinner guest list includes the wedding party, the officiant and his or her spouse or partner, parents and grandparents of the bride and groom, and also any other siblings of the couple who are not in the wedding party. The attendants’ husbands, wives, fianc©(e)s, and live-in companions should be invited, but inviting their dates is optional. At larger gatherings, aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews of the bride and groom are frequently included as well. After that, any number of people may attend, including out-of-town guests, close friends, and godparents—if you want a larger group at this dinner"

                I didn't do a rehearsal since it was just Jay and I. My best friend did a casual "welcome dinner" for everyone coming to the wedding (20 people). I really don't see anything wrong with just having the bridal party at the rehearsal dinner as a way to thank your "inner circle" and perhaps a cocktail meet n greet for everyone else a day or two before the big day. This will probally cost nothing extra if you are at an AI and pick a low traffic bar to meet at.
                <center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...nancyticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=Baby Lambert is on the way&b=7&c=0xCC00CC&f=5&y=2010&m=4&d=14" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle"...

                #8 LadyCheese

                LadyCheese
                • Sr. Member
                • 1,830 posts

                  Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:11 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Karen
                  According to Emily Post.com "The rehearsal dinner guest list includes the wedding party, the officiant and his or her spouse or partner, parents and grandparents of the bride and groom, and also any other siblings of the couple who are not in the wedding party. The attendants’ husbands, wives, fianc©(e)s, and live-in companions should be invited, but inviting their dates is optional. At larger gatherings, aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews of the bride and groom are frequently included as well. After that, any number of people may attend, including out-of-town guests, close friends, and godparents—if you want a larger group at this dinner"

                  I didn't do a rehearsal since it was just Jay and I. My best friend did a casual "welcome dinner" for everyone coming to the wedding (20 people). I really don't see anything wrong with just having the bridal party at the rehearsal dinner as a way to thank your "inner circle" and perhaps a cocktail meet n greet for everyone else a day or two before the big day. This will probally cost nothing extra if you are at an AI and pick a low traffic bar to meet at.
                  Thanks for the info. I dont feel so bad anymore for keeping the rehearsal dinner low-key. The majority of the guests are flying in on Thursday so we are having a welcome party for all the guests, then Friday we want to do the rehearsal dinner with th epridal party & my parents...then maybe afterwards we can meet the other guests at a bar for drinks, etc.

                  #9 Hartyt509

                  Hartyt509
                  • Sr. Member
                  • 2,262 posts

                    Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

                    We aren't doing one only because i'm trying to avoid FMIL as much as possible lol still even if i did like her not sure i'd have one - i feel guilty enough that i'm taking a day out of someone's holiday never mind more time

                    #10 LadyCheese

                    LadyCheese
                    • Sr. Member
                    • 1,830 posts

                      Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:13 PM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Hartyt509
                      We aren't doing one only because i'm trying to avoid FMIL as much as possible lol still even if i did like her not sure i'd have one - i feel guilty enough that i'm taking a day out of someone's holiday never mind more time
                      LOL...I hear you.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users