Sign in to follow this  
Kristy!

Has anyone ever donated platelets?

I'm donating platelets for the first time tomorrow morning. My appointment is at 9:00 but then I'm leaving to go camping at 1:30. Are the effects afterwards any different from giving whole blood?

You will be more sore and probably bruised. It take you a little longer to regain your composure but you should be fine to go camping.

My arms used to get sore, and a little black and blue - but I wouldn't call it bruised.

For me, I actually prefer it to whole blood donation. Yes, it takes longer, but I always felt so much better after. And have them bring you juice or regular (non-diet) soda. The sugar really helps somehow.

Thanks girls. My SIL was telling me that her mom is completely drained when she donates platelets, so she freaked me out a little bit. I'm fine after donating whole blood, so I'm sure I'll be pretty much the same after this. I feel better!

I did it once and hated it. Make sure you take a sweater because you will get cold. My arm hurt aferwards and I was a little weak. In all honesty, it was the longest hour of my life.

Sign me up for whole blood any day!

Thanks for the tip. At least I'll have a little car time to relax. I have to remember to bring a magazine or something.