Has anyone ever donated platelets?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

I'm donating platelets for the first time tomorrow morning. My appointment is at 9:00 but then I'm leaving to go camping at 1:30. Are the effects afterwards any different from giving whole blood?

#2 Kat81

• VIP Member
    • 7,615 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:40 PM

You will be more sore and probably bruised. It take you a little longer to regain your composure but you should be fine to go camping.

#3 becks

• VIP Member
      • 4,881 posts
      • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
      • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
      • LocationNew York

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

My arms used to get sore, and a little black and blue - but I wouldn't call it bruised.

For me, I actually prefer it to whole blood donation. Yes, it takes longer, but I always felt so much better after. And have them bring you juice or regular (non-diet) soda. The sugar really helps somehow.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#4 azhuskergirl

• 1,131 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

Other than it taking longer, it wasn't any different than donating whole blood, IMO. Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot that I have an appointment to donate tomorrow.

#5 Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 6,368 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:44 PM

Thanks girls. My SIL was telling me that her mom is completely drained when she donates platelets, so she freaked me out a little bit. I'm fine after donating whole blood, so I'm sure I'll be pretty much the same after this. I feel better!

#6 Martha

• VIP Member
          • 3,906 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:11 PM

I did it once and hated it. Make sure you take a sweater because you will get cold. My arm hurt aferwards and I was a little weak. In all honesty, it was the longest hour of my life.

Sign me up for whole blood any day!

#7 Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 6,368 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the tip. At least I'll have a little car time to relax. I have to remember to bring a magazine or something.

#8 JHarwood2Be

• 687 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Also, if you are going to be drinking, it might hit you a lot faster than usual.
                Photography by Tamm's Photos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users