average you are/did spend on your fiance's ring???

thanks girls. yes it is white gold and i know that gold is very expensive right now and i doubt its going down anytime soon. he is very picky and has expensive taste. he wants no diamonds at all and hates yellow gold. we looked at the tungsten and he liked it but not as much as this ring he has picked out. the tungsten is strong and wont scratch or the design won't wear down like on gold so i thought that would be better but he likes what he likes. the titanium is not an option. those are the ones that can't be cut off. most jewelers won't tell you this but if you smash your finger, it swells, etc it can't be cut thru only melted so pretty much your finger will go before the ring....yeah not reassuring to me at all. i am pretty sure that i am going to get the one he wants anyways but i thought i would ask advice. i guess hes not the only expensive one out there!!! thanks again.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just picked up my FI's band last week. He works with his hands a lot at work, so he wanted on of the thinner bands - I would have preferred to see him wear a thicker band, but what he wants is important. Anyway, we got a very simple white gold comfort fit band 3mm thick - it cost just under $200. Our jeweler told us gold is sky rocketing right now, as the other girls mentioned. Since you have so much time , I would wait to purchase the ring until next year.

James is getting a Tungsten Carbide ring - $328. He's a mechanic and works a lot with his hands so he won't wear it much. He liked the one's with platinum at first, but they were really expensive and this one looks almost the same, since he won't wear it very often he decided this is the one he wants.

• 8 months later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjorgensen View Post
thanks girls. yes it is white gold and i know that gold is very expensive right now and i doubt its going down anytime soon. he is very picky and has expensive taste. he wants no diamonds at all and hates yellow gold. we looked at the tungsten and he liked it but not as much as this ring he has picked out. the tungsten is strong and wont scratch or the design won't wear down like on gold so i thought that would be better but he likes what he likes. the titanium is not an option. those are the ones that can't be cut off. most jewelers won't tell you this but if you smash your finger, it swells, etc it can't be cut thru only melted so pretty much your finger will go before the ring....yeah not reassuring to me at all. i am pretty sure that i am going to get the one he wants anyways but i thought i would ask advice. i guess hes not the only expensive one out there!!! thanks again.

I was considering a titanium ring until I read this. I started looking around for information on it & saw that they can be cut off. Many websites said that likely the rumor was started by jewelers that didn't want their sells to be hurt by cheaper titanium rings. The aircraft grade titanium or any titanium with added metals to increase strength would be a problem. But, most titanium rings are fine.

It can't be resized though.

For those choosing between white gold and other metals, remember to consider maintenance and cleaning. Apparently cleaning white gold requires special care.

Cleaning Precious Metals | Clean White Gold Jewelry

"One of the most frequently asked questions is how to clean white gold. When white gold is sold, it is always rhodium plated. Rhodium is a hard, durable, silvery-white metal that can be polished to a high shine. This gives white gold, which is actually a very pale yellow, a very white look in the showcase and on your finger. This white look will last varying amounts of time depending on wear and tear. On earrings it can last a lifetime. On rings the rhodium will start wearing off where there is a lot of friction. This usually starts by the shank (the part of the ring that goes around the finger) starting to “turn yellowâ€. This is the rhodium wearing off. As you continue to wear the ring, all the exposed edges and corners will start “yellowing†as well. The easiest and least expensive solution to this problem is to bring it to your local jeweler or into DiamondIdeals to have the ring re-rhodiumed. The cost for this is minimal. This is a temporary solution and will have to be repeated as this new layer wears off. A more permanent solution would be to consider remounting your stones in a platinum or palladium alloy ring."

If anyone goes with white gold, you can ask/negotiate with your jeweler to include rhodium dippings for some number of years. Better to go with time than number of dippings to ensure a quality dipping. Who knew?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvinnov View Post
For those choosing between white gold and other metals, remember to consider maintenance and cleaning. Apparently cleaning white gold requires special care.

Cleaning Precious Metals | Clean White Gold Jewelry
"One of the most frequently asked questions is how to clean white gold. When white gold is sold, it is always rhodium plated. Rhodium is a hard, durable, silvery-white metal that can be polished to a high shine. This gives white gold, which is actually a very pale yellow, a very white look in the showcase and on your finger. This white look will last varying amounts of time depending on wear and tear. On earrings it can last a lifetime. On rings the rhodium will start wearing off where there is a lot of friction. This usually starts by the shank (the part of the ring that goes around the finger) starting to “turn yellowâ€. This is the rhodium wearing off. As you continue to wear the ring, all the exposed edges and corners will start “yellowing†as well. The easiest and least expensive solution to this problem is to bring it to your local jeweler or into DiamondIdeals to have the ring re-rhodiumed. The cost for this is minimal. This is a temporary solution and will have to be repeated as this new layer wears off. A more permanent solution would be to consider remounting your stones in a platinum or palladium alloy ring."

If anyone goes with white gold, you can ask/negotiate with your jeweler to include rhodium dippings for some number of years. Better to go with time than number of dippings to ensure a quality dipping. Who knew?!?
It's about $20-$30 dollars to have a ring redipped & it can be done in an hour.

Platinum gets scratched & will need to be buffed about as often as a white gold ring needs to be redipped. Some people like the look of a platinum ring after it gets some scratches.

Anyway, I didn't think the decision between white gold & platinum was easy. So I decided to go with white gold because I prefer a lighter weight ring. It was also cheaper so when I was really torn between the options it made since to go with the less expensive one. I wanted palladium, but my setting didn't come in palladium.