Reflexology?

Maura

Does anyone have experience getting reflexology treatments?

I am on the verge of calling my doctor for xanax because I am tweaking really bad about the wedding being in 4 weeks, but I would prefer something natural rather than pharmaceutical. I remembered my friend from Mexico brought me a bottle of Stresstabs (basically just vitamins) which I am going to start taking tonight, but I called the spa across the street from my house for an emergency reflexology treatment to calm me down.

here's what their website says that made me want to try this instead of a massage (because a massage never truly relaxes me or destresses me enough, I am just too uptight)

During a reflexology session, finger and thumb techniques are used to simulate the experience of walking barefoot in nature. Reflexology promotes deep relaxation, clarity of mind, and a sense of well-being. A session assists with:

* Digestive ailments/Hormonal imbalance

* Structural pain

* Attention deficit disorders

* Headache/Migraine

* Sleeping disorders

* Releasing emotional tension

* Strengthening the immune system

anybody ever get reflexology treatments before? what's your experience been? they were able to fit me in at 6 pm tomorrow so I am already starting to feel relieved that relief is coming (if that makes ANY sense...)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i love reflexology Maura but i also can get extremely relaxed from a massage... how about a guided imagery massage OR raindrop therapy massage? that is different than just regular shiatsu and based on relaxation principles.

girl i am sorry you are so stressed - do you need any help?

can you take 1 or 2 sick days from work?

I have had foot reflexology, which I did not think was more relaxing than a normal massage. I have never had any other kind of reflexology. The foot one just felt like a nice foot rub, but the therapist may not have been an expert on reflexology.

I have had rain drop therapy and found this much more relaxing than a normal massage. I really enjoyed it. Basically they drop different essetial oils on your back and then use a sweeping motion. I thought it was really relaxing.

Massage is such a personal thing and I think everyone finds different things relaxing. So, reflexology may work wonders for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
i dont really drink - it usually makes me sick and doesnt relax me at all
I dont drink much either, but at night sometimes I'll have a glass of wine to relax me.

I can't imagine all the stress you must feel, I'm not there yet, but soon enough I'll be in your shoes. Have you ever tried yoga?? Well, I hope you feel better, let me know if I can help with anything. All your hard work, and dedication will pay off, try to think of that kinda stuff when you are feeling overwhelmed. You seem to handle things so good so just take a step back and breathe. It will all work out.

I dont know about reflexology. But I had a time when I was expreinsing what your are going through. I would just think about the wedding and I would break into hives. I was the most bizar thing. I also starting grinding my teeth all hours of the day and constantly had an upset stomach.

I went to a health food store and bough herbal pills of some sort. After taking them for a few days they worked wonders.

When I go home tonight, I will see what they are called and PM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
i love reflexology Maura but i also can get extremely relaxed from a massage... how about a guided imagery massage OR raindrop therapy massage? that is different than just regular shiatsu and based on relaxation principles.

girl i am sorry you are so stressed - do you need any help?

can you take 1 or 2 sick days from work?
i dont know of any spas around me that offer guided imagery massage or raindrop therapy massage (at least none that have them on their spa menus) but i will ask the spa tomorrow if they offer that. i really hope the reflexology works. the massage therapist where i go is always telling me that i never seem relaxed and my muscles are still tight even after an hour long massage.

thank you for offering to help, but theres really nothing anyone can help me with right now. i have to wait to do the programs, seating chart & placecards after i've sorted it all out with jose's mom this weekend. i wish i could take a sick day but sick days count as vacation days at my job, and my boss is giving me friday off as a comp day for working 8 weekends in april & may. i cannot take a single extra vacation day before the wedding because i need to save my days for christmas because jose's mom wants to take us on a cruise, which i dont even know if i will be able to do because of my work schedule. she's already kind of miffed (and so is jose) that i cant let her know whether i can do it or not until october because of my production schedule.

i almost yelled at a makeup counter girl yesterday because she ordered something for me 3 weeks ago and then never charged my card, so i never got it. so i had to go to a different dept store where they have a smashbox counter and the same girl was there who originally ordered my thing, and i was like yeah you never charged my card, i never got what i ordered, so i hope you have one in stock. thankfully they did. but i was steaming about it.

i was trying to relax this morning at work by watching some random wedding video posted on the forum, and i got totally nauseous because i got so nervous for my own wedding. not nervous like, am i doing the right thing. i know its the right thing and i love jose. i am just extremely anxious about pleasing everyone, including myself & jose, and being the center of attention to a guest list 40% bigger than i originally expected and was comfortable with. KWIM? i have big social anxiety to begin with, so i think its catching up with me bigtime right now.

I would prefer something natural rather than pharmaceutical.

I've used Valerian Root which is an herbal pill that helps reduce stress/anxiety and helps promote sleep...it did take about a week for me to feel it take full effect, but it helped. You can find it at most vitamin stores...I hope you feel better soon!

Valerian Root - Benefits, Common Uses, Side Effects and Clinical Information for Valerian Root