Photo

Do I tip my free e-shoot photog?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FLgator

FLgator
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

Well, we wouldn't of done an engagment shoot unless it was pratically free, because we are on a tight budget. So I found a local photographer that was advertising 2 free engagement shoots plus a cd of photos in order to build his portfolio. His portfolio is already great and he has been a graphic designer for years, he just hasn't done any engagment shoots. So I have no idea about tipping etiquette when it comes to vendors, but do I tip him? If so, how much? Help!

#2 Marnie&Peter

Marnie&Peter
    • 302 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

I would say YES to the tipping..but im not too sure how much i would tip?

#3 Jamminworld

Jamminworld
      • 136 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

I agree you should definitely give him something to show your appreciation.

#4 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
        • 4,979 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:50 PM

We've had a similar topic brought up on the forum before (minus the FREE part!!) and photographers have been kind enough to let us know what they think.

Most of the photographers said they'd take a thoughtful "Thank You" note over money any day. Money is always nice, but it's nice to know how you're appreciated and hear the kind words from your clients themselves.

I think (hope!) your photographer doesn't expect a tip; afterall, you seem to be doing him a favour as well - sure you're not paying for his expenses, but in turn, he builds his portfolio because you were kind enough to trust a photographer still building his portfolio.

I'd say don't feel pressured to tip. Like you mentioned before, you are on a budget. Maybe do the shoot, wait for the proofs to come back and decide if he really went the extra mile for you (which is what a tip is all about, afterall!). If you want to tip at that point, then go ahead!
          Happily Married since May 9, 2008
          Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

#5 ashrose

ashrose
          • 422 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

I agree with Courtney...

If he is trying to build his portfolio, a thank you note that talks about the experience doing the engagement shoot can actually help him if he posts testimonials on his site. You can also offer to be a refferal for him if other potential clients want to talk with one of his previous clients.

If he goes WAY above and beyond -- I think that is when you should tip him. I don't believe the photography industry has its pay scale based off of tipping (like say, espresso or food service).

#6 COFPhoto

COFPhoto
            • 81 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:16 AM

I rarely get tipped and am always surprised when I do. As mentioned, it's not "figured in" with regards to our pricing.

The best thing that you can do for your Photographer - is to refer a friend or family member to them and get them more work. They should be a thousand times more greatful for that than a $20 tip.

HTH!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users