OK...so the wedding is over, didn't get in shape for it...I guess now is the time...

Okay ladies, I am need of some sort of intervention. I told myself that I would get in shape for the wedding before my final dress fitting. Did that happenhuh.gif NO. So then I was like well, the dress fits, but if I lose a few more pounds I will feel better and absolutely look better in a bathing suit. Did that happenhuh.gif NO. So now the wedding is over, I didn't lose any weight or inches for it...but I did look decent. While in Jamaica, I lost 7 LBS from eating regularly (someting I just don't do) and walking so much. I have figured out, that that weight loss is my start to getting back in shape. Now the question is...how do I keep it up? I lack the motivation 100%. Once I start it, I lose inches very fast, but I just can't get my motivation to start it up...

What do I do and how do I go about doing it? My work schedule is a crazy one just as a disclaimer. I work 2 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on, 3 days off and so on... and I go to work at 5:30 pm and don't get off til 7:00 am (yes almost 14 hour shifts.) That is an important part because once I get off, I am dog tired and only have time to sleep... So all you ladies out there, please help a sista out...smile41.gif

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you commit to doing something just on your days off from work? Your schedule is CRAZY, but it looks like if you just did the off days you would exercise 3-4 times a week. I know that once I start exercising I automatically eat better because I don't want to ruin my progress... maybe the same would work for you. Do you live in an area where you can walk in your neighborhood? Its better to start off slow, with something you can commit to than go crazy and try to do everyday if that's not realistic. The key is sticking to something over a longer period of time. Good luck!muscle.gif

Yeah, my apartment area is beautiful and is a fun jog...but like I said, something in me holds me back from doing anything productive as far as working out...and I continue to sit on the couch or catch up on sleep. What did you tell yourself before you had your will power built up? How did you motivate yourself? I try and tell myself to think of Janet Jackson and Beyonce...but then I forget and go sit down...lol. I am pitiful. It's sad because I played college basketball and was very disciplined and in shape, just around 5 years ago...and now look at me. I have lots of muscle, but it's that layer of fat on top that is the killer. I love lifting but not so much on the cardio tip.

find a workout you enjoy. i have a bunch of workout dvds that i put on my portable dvd player & do while I watch TV. I also have friends that come over to workout with me. It's fun. Actually that's what I did tonight.

some of my favorites:

turbo jam

hip hop abs

denise austin pilates

you can rent stuff on netflix & see if you like it before buying anything.

You can't watch tv & do some of these workouts at first, but once you get it down it's easy.

Another thing that can help is finding healthy things to eat at work so you eat reguarly. Is there a trader joes in your area? I love that place for getting easy to make, healthy food. have a lot of healthy snacks around.

I think the key is making being healthy fun & not painful. Go for walks with friends instead of talking on the phone in the evening. or see if your husband wants to go for a walk with you.

the endorphins you get from a workout makes you feel so great. Also, you'll probably start to have more energy.

also, the better it feels to be healthy, the more likely you are to make it a lifestyle change.

I'm the same way about lifting- I love it! I hate cardio. I always joke that I wouldn't run even if something was chasing me. rofl.gif I just forced myself to do it one day and then the next day it was easier. Right now I am just walking/ jogging (when I see a big dog lol) in my neighborhood. I have 5 days til I'm 6 months out from my wedding so I'm planning to rein in my eating and head back to the gym in 5 days. I am NOT motivated at all and I used to be a personal trainer a few years ago. It was waaaayyy easier to workout when I was in the gym everyday for work. I don't know what to tell you about getting motivated. The only thing that has worked for me was just forcing myself to get up and do it one day, then the next day was easier.

I wouldn't mind walking because it doesn't feel like I am torturing myself, but does walking work as well as running? I do ALOT of walking at the plant that I work in...(around 4 miles a night) and nothing has happened. I think because I played ball, by body needs something more drastic, what do you think?

My husband is skinny and has great muscle definition (a die hard basketball player) and he has a very fast metabolism and he eats junk food... He plays ball all the time, he would walk with me I think...he hasn't yet though. He always encourages me to workout out, but that's it...he never really encourages me by actually doing it with me...

I have tried some tapes, and I do like them once I get going...it's just getting me going is impossible.

Some of my favorites when I'm eating really well are- non-fat plain (not flavored) yogurt sweetened with an equal with fruit or granola mixed in; egg whites on wheat toast; They sell egg whites in cartons like milk so their easy to use. Apple slices with PB; and balance bars in the chocolate/pb gold flavor for easy on the go snacks.

Walking will do something if you do it consistently, but you have to be moving at a good pace. When I walk I work up a sweat and couldn't really gab with a gf the whole time, too out of breath for that. Also, my neighborhood has a lot of hills so if I jog I will jog UP the hills so its harder. Your body gets used to what you do daily, that is why what you do at work doesn't make any changes and why you should change your exercise routine regularly. Interval training is a good way to kickstart things too- jog one minute, walk two minutes... repeat. Workout videos are a great way to vary things, but I've never done them. Totally not coordinated enough for that! lol

That makes sense...I always thought you were supposed to just RUN with no walking intervals, so when I would just run and have to stop and walk to catch my breath, I felt like I was letting myself down and didn't look forward to continue... You know, I bet once I get a routine going, I could run for like 30 mins (maybe 20 to start) right when I get off work...because working out for me makes me sleepy...I can't do it before I go to work or I am exhausted and wanting to sit down and relax...

Chicken in really good. You can add some Tony Chacherie's to make it really yummy. I either bake it in the oven (300 degrees for about 20-30 min.) or I cook it on the George Forman grill. Add a veggie (corn is high in carbs- although I love it and figure it's better than frech fries). Green beans are really good. Granola and yogurt is great for breakfast or a sweet treat. I find that the key to eating healthy is eat a lot of raw veggies and fruit and don't add a lot of stuff to what you cook.