If You Work From Home...

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 1elephant

1elephant
  • VIP Member
  • 15,998 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:06 PM

i charged $40/hr in my old district, and $60 in my current district. i go to the kids houses or meet them at the local library.
    my mil works from home as a relocation consultant. she got into it w/in the last 5 years or so, and doesn't have a degree. she's also a secret shopper. she gets paid to visit local stores and writes reports on them. she has to buy something from the place, and gets reimbursed for it. sometimes it's places like starbucks, and other times she has to go to bigger stores. the reports are always about customer service.
    another option is to apply to districts and tutor kids who are unable to go to school. sometimes this requires a sp.ed. degree, but not always. OR part time counseling for child study teams.

#22 Tracy

Tracy
    • 281 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:19 PM

Hi Martha, i live in San Antonio too, and I have been working from home for the last 1 1/2 years - i work for a company called ETS (Educational Testing Services) and there are a few of us that work remotely (they are pretty open to that) at least a few days/week.
      Check out their web-site (especially if you have a teaching degree) - you may find some work that interests you.

#23 Martha

Martha
      • VIP Member
      • 3,906 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by lauren c.
        i charged $40/hr in my old district, and $60 in my current district. i go to the kids houses or meet them at the local library.
        my mil works from home as a relocation consultant. she got into it w/in the last 5 years or so, and doesn't have a degree. she's also a secret shopper. she gets paid to visit local stores and writes reports on them. she has to buy something from the place, and gets reimbursed for it. sometimes it's places like starbucks, and other times she has to go to bigger stores. the reports are always about customer service.
        another option is to apply to districts and tutor kids who are unable to go to school. sometimes this requires a sp.ed. degree, but not always. OR part time counseling for child study teams.
        Ya, I think that would require a sp. ed. degree...

I have never heard of a relocation consultant. Interesting...I may have to look in to this.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Tracy
        Hi Martha, i live in San Antonio too, and I have been working from home for the last 1 1/2 years - i work for a company called ETS (Educational Testing Services) and there are a few of us that work remotely (they are pretty open to that) at least a few days/week.
        Check out their web-site (especially if you have a teaching degree) - you may find some work that interests you.

ETS? Never heard of them either...But, we are moving back home to Corpus. I wonder if this is something I could do from over there?

You guys are giving me great ideas! Thank you!

#24 1elephant

1elephant
        • VIP Member
        • 15,998 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:33 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Just Martha
          Ya, I think that would require a sp. ed. degree...

I have never heard of a relocation consultant. Interesting...I may have to look in to this.
          sometimes we get offers for home schooling during the school year. this happens when a kid is sick or breaks a limb or something. these don't require sp.ed. degrees.

#25 Martha

Martha
          • VIP Member
          • 3,906 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:42 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by lauren c.
            sometimes we get offers for home schooling during the school year. this happens when a kid is sick or breaks a limb or something. these don't require sp.ed. degrees.

Hmm. True. But wouldn't i have to be hired by the district first? I am just dreading going on job interviews when I am 6 months pregnant. I don't know if I could get hired.

#26 1elephant

1elephant
            • VIP Member
            • 15,998 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:44 PM

i think you'd have to be hired by the district, but as a home school instructor. idk if they'd hire you at 6 months pregnant, but who knows! search around the local districts, and see if there are any postings for home school instructor.

#27 Martha

Martha
              • VIP Member
              • 3,906 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:46 PM

I've been looking, but I don't recall seeing anything like that...I will have to keep an eye out though.

Thanks, Lauren!

#28 1elephant

1elephant
                • VIP Member
                • 15,998 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:50 PM

oh!!! if you have a grad degree (and you do!) you can apply to university of phoenix to become an online teacher!

#29 DreaW

DreaW
                  • Banned
                  • 2,462 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:53 PM

Does anyone know how you become an event planner? I'm thinking of looking into that field.

#30 amym567

amym567
                    • 403 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:55 PM

Martha~
                      When I go back in the fall, I'll be job-sharing. You might want to see if any of the districts offer that. I'll be teaching mornings, from 7:15 to 11:07. Of course it's half the pay, but it's better than nothing! I'm also hoping to book more lia sophia (home party jewelry) shows to make up for some of my income! Good luck! I'd love to be home full time too!
                      Amy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users