Carnival Mexican Riveria Cruise & Cabo Wedding!

MalibuBarbie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just chiming in here for a sec....it is not standard practice for any TA to cut their commissions to give you a better deal on a cruise. Yes there are some new TA's trolling cruisecritic offering to do that, but there are many cruise lines that do not even allow it. And there are many TA's that would be offended if even asked that question.

Now that said, if you're planning a group, many TA's may have access to better fares than the cruise line can offer due to a variety of other reasons. And due to the complexity of contracts, deadlines etc, it's in your best interest to utilize an experienced TA for your group trip no matter what.

Just do some smart shopping and you'll be fine. Be weary of those "great deals" b/c many times, what you see is not what you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA Dina View Post
Just do some smart shopping and you'll be fine. Be weary of those "great deals" b/c many times, what you see is not what you get.
I totally agree with this. If it is TOO good to be true, then it is.

Barbie,
Here is an great link on cruisemates that talk about booking direct with a Carnival PVP (personal vacation planner) vs a TA. Might give you a bit more insight in how to choose a TA. wink.gif

Cruise Message Boards - Cruisemates Cruise Forums :: View topic - why do people use a PVP from carnival??

If you search on cruisemates for "PVP vs TA" or something along those lines you will get a good idea of how it all works with a ton of posts to reference. Carla wink.gif

Thanks for the input. I will definitely do some research before I do anything. I figured it would be easier to deal direct with Carnival---you know, the less people involved, the better but maybe that's not so true in this case. I am going to head over there and do some reading!

Barbie

Hey Barbie,

Looks like your back to being a solo Mexican cruise bride. After talking with FI and trying to get everyone schedules it turns out no one would be able to be on the cruise with us! They all want to stay just a couple days.

While I am a bit disappointed it does have its benefits. We now have time to do a Trash the dress cenote tour with Sol Tamargo instead of a short TTD that would have had to happen with the cruise because of short port times.

Don't worry though, I will still be reading this thread and posting with you. I can't wait to see what you plan. Carla wink.gif

Wow! So what and where have you decided to have the wedding? I am sure it will be just as fun and if no one could go with you---you would have missed out on having the people that count. You can always go on a cruise when its just the two of you==maybe for your first anniversary! Let me know what you have planned!

Barbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBarbie View Post
Wow! So what and where have you decided to have the wedding? I am sure it will be just as fun and if no one could go with you---you would have missed out on having the people that count. You can always go on a cruise when its just the two of you==maybe for your first anniversary! Let me know what you have planned!
Barbie
Thanks for the support. Well we are back at square one. We still know we want the Riviera Maya but now a whole new world has opened up because we can travel inland.

Yesterday I contacted a travel agent to help us. He was amazing! He is putting together a questionnaire to help him understand what we are looking for. Then he has all the videos and brochures for the resorts plus off site locations for the ceremony. He is even going to arrange the site visit appointments and transportation so we don't have to worry about a thing.

It looks like we are going to aim for the off season just before the Christmas rush down there. He said we should be able to get some great deals by doing it then. Plus Chris was really excited about the prospect of spending just before Christmas with all of our families together. After he said that I was really excited too! wink.gif Then he had to go and make me cry by saying how much he wanted that to be our first Christmas together as Husband and Wife.

With the concession of not cruising for the wedding we are probably going to hold off on the honeymoon until fall of 2011 and go on a two week cruise to Europe!! HEHEHE We have been wanting to go for a while now and this was a great excuse to do it.

I will keep posting but keep me updated on what you are doing too. I know yours is going to be amazing!! Carla :)

• 3 weeks later...

We are taking the Mariner Of The Seas Mexican Riviera Cruise Feb 22,2009. This will be my sons honeymoon cruise. He had planned on getting married in Cabo, but family issues (a sweet new addition to the family) are preventing this, so we are having a beach wedding here in Galveston and then cruising two weeks later. This is a group cruise, and we did get perks. We are really looking forward to this cruise. It will be my sons first, so will be fun to see cruising thru his eyes!

We really were sorry that we had to cancel the Cabo wedding, as Im sure it will be much pretty weather there than in Galveston. You never know what it will be in Feb.

On RCI they have someone to come onboard and take your blood for the bt, and then drive you to the beach area for the wedding. It wasnt much cheaper doing this than in Galveston!!

I know your wedding will be wonderful, enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in----nothing really going on with the wedding planning as Carnival STILL has not released the May 2010 dates yetcrybaby2.gif I've been swamped at work so I have given myself a break from "wedding" stuff for now. I would love to change it to May 2009 but its just financially impossible. We just got our electric bill for July/August----a whooping 517.00 for a small two bedroom house----our electric co-op raised our rates almost 34% for the summer months and they know that its not like we can leave the AC off for the summer (avg temp here in summer is 124) or we can use another company----they have us nailed to the wall! Anyway, what's new with everyone else?

adias.angel........what's going on with the planning?

DALTX---a new baby is WAY better than where you get married anyday! Has the baby been born yet or is he/she arriving sometime soon? Why don't you have your son and his fiance bring along some "wedding" clothes and take some pictures at the beach in Cabo? It will bring a little Cabo beach into their memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBarbie View Post
We just got our electric bill for July/August----a whooping 517.00 for a small two bedroom house----our electric co-op raised our rates almost 34% for the summer months and they know that its not like we can leave the AC off for the summer (avg temp here in summer is 124) or we can use another company----they have us nailed to the wall!
OMG!! That is outrageous. The worse I have ever seen a summer bill here in MI is like $250. hug2.gif Those kind of bills seem to hit just when you think your getting started on the right track. Don't worry it will work out, it always does.

The cruise prices for your cruise don't come out till November right? I thought they came out 1.5 years before the cruise. Have you looked on cruisemates to see when the dates come out?

Planning on my end is going good but slow at the same time. First our TA called to tell us he had been in the hospital for surgery and was only now just getting back home to email his clients. He is still confined to home but will hopefully be back in the office in the next couple weeks and send the research he did for us.

Then my FMIL calls to tell us they are having problems in CA and will probably be moving back to MI and living with us! They are the greatest people so I don't mind plus having my very own Martha Stewart in the house will help me on the wedding planning. Truthfully I think they are coming back because my FSIL, youngest sibling, left CA to come to college in MI. That with the combination of us getting engaged is making them want to be here. So things have got put on hold as we get ready for them.

On the positive side I think I have found the dress I want. wink.gif
Click the image to open in full size.
Still have to find a place to try it on but A-line dresses almost always look good on my body shape so its a pretty good bet.

And Chris created a planning blog and website for us. And I put together a ideas album. (see signature).

OK so looking back maybe we have done a bit of planning I guess I just keep looking at all the things I still have to do and it doesn't seem like much. Keep posting I can't wait to see yours. I check every day to see if you have posted. Carla wink.gif