Sign in to follow this  
KarlaV

Seating Chart / Kids at the Reception Question

OK- I wasn't sure where to post this question, so here it goes....

I'm having a really formal sit-down dinner at the reception. We're going all out with a 6 course meal and wine parings for each course. 65 guests will be dining at one (very) long table. I feel bad, but I don't want kids sitting at the table eating with us. (am I totally evil?) So my questions are..

1) How do I let the guests know where to sit? I mean, it is only one table, so table numbers wont work.

and

2) What do I do about the 16 (yikes!) kids ranging from 2-12 during dinner? After dinner I imagine they will all be out on the dance floor, I just need some ideas of what to do with them during dinner.

Any suggestions ?

KarlaV

No you are not evil!

I would say if its one table to have place cards for everyone.

But my only concern would be that it may be tough to have kids under 3/4 to be sitting by themselves(not next to a parent that can keep them under control)

I agree put the placecards at the table but I really don't see how you can have a kids table with the younger kids, a two year old will not be able to sit away from their parents. Can you hire a nanny for the dinner portion?

Your totally right about the kids situtation. How can I tell the parents, "Your child is not welcomed at the adults table."

But, I'm still having a hard time accepting it. Why do they have to bring their kids!!!!!!! (that was my 'But, I'M the BRIDE' vent)

Can you tell that I dont have kids?

KarlaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon to be Mrs. Hull View Post
I agree put the placecards at the table but I really don't see how you can have a kids table with the younger kids, a two year old will not be able to sit away from their parents. Can you hire a nanny for the dinner portion?
I've thought about a nanny, and I would totally spring for this in a heartbeat. But, do you think the parents would be upset that there child is ushered away during dinner?

KarlaV

no they might enjoy the break, have them head down to the beach and build sand castles or something. Well I guess they have to eat. Is there a place near by that they can have kiddie food without bothering your party.

besides it would only be for the dinner part...1 hour or 2 away from your children would probably be nice for everyone.

what about Kiddie entertainment during dinner, somewhere. clown magician.

There are 21 kids in my family, and i have to say none of them sit down & eat. Obviously you would have food for them, but i dont think any would mind not sitting during "dinner"

Thanks ladies for the feedback!

I'm going to set something up with the hotel's Kids Club. They will entertain the kids and feed them while their parents enjoy dinner. I also like the idea about playing on the beach!

I feel sooooo much better about everything. I was really worried that the parents would be mad or something.

KarlaV