Photo

Register in Canada and ceremony & reception in Riviera Maya

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rtswan

rtswan
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:25 PM

hello, does anyone know if we register in city hall in my home town and have another ceremony and reception in Mexico, do I still need to get all the document translated to Spanish and notarized?

Thanks,
    rtswan

#2 Bianca

Bianca
    • 1,057 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:38 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by rtswan
      hello, does anyone know if we register in city hall in my home town and have another ceremony and reception in Mexico, do I still need to get all the document translated to Spanish and notarized?

Thanks,
      rtswan
      It would be a symbolic ceremony if you already got married in Canada. You would not need to get any translations or blood work for that.
      19 adults/3 children with flights booked! 10 rooms booked!
      http://dw.daisypath.com/BM2Hm4/.png

http://dpabride.blogspot.com/

#3 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
      • 4,979 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:41 PM

Yep, Bianca's right. We got legally married here and had a symbolic ceremony in Mexico - no paperwork, bloodtests or headaches required!!
        Happily Married since May 9, 2008
        Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

#4 rtswan

rtswan
        • 36 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:03 AM

Thanks Bianca and Courtney, that's a relief that I don't have to worry about all the paperwork. Do I have to tell the resort wedding coordinator beforehand? and will I still get a judge and fake sign it or I would get a fake judge?
          Thanks again :)

#5 Bianca

Bianca
          • 1,057 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:22 AM

You would get an officiant of some type. The ceremony could be in English (with a judge it has to be in Spanish).
            19 adults/3 children with flights booked! 10 rooms booked!
            http://dw.daisypath.com/BM2Hm4/.png

http://dpabride.blogspot.com/

#6 leschli

leschli
            • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:58 AM

Thanks rtswan for asking the same question I had!

I was thinking that it would avoid the headaches once we got to RM, and afterwords.

#7 403citygirl

403citygirl
              • 27 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:31 AM

Do you have to bring your legal marriage certificate to Mexico for the symbolic ceremony?

#8 aeroo

aeroo
                • 153 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:56 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by 403citygirl
                  Do you have to bring your legal marriage certificate to Mexico for the symbolic ceremony?
                  For us, we did not need to. I hadn't even thought of bringing it. I don't see why you would need one for a symbolic ceremony, but check with your WC just in case.

#9 kevsgirl

kevsgirl
                  • 1,209 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:13 AM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by 403citygirl
                    I think the only time I've seen this required is when you're paying less for a symbolic package - but I don't know if that is in Mexico. It may have been in some other resorts in DR or something when I was looking earlier on.

For us it doesn't matter. Judge (legal) or Minister (symbolic) it costs the same for our package, so they don't care if we are married yet or not. That means we could wait til we get back to Canada to marry legally.

We decided a few weeks back to cancel our judge and ask for the minister instead, and to do the legal thing at home because of the hassle and cost of getting everything notarized and also, more importnatly, the fact that we didn't like the judge's ceremony and it's in Spanish. This way we can give the minister whatever ceremony we want and he will perform it in English!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users