Photo

Destination .... unknown! Help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BlissfulMsMiranda

BlissfulMsMiranda
  • 512 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

Hi all - we may only be 3 weeks into our engagement but we've got to get a move on with the planning because we want to get married next spring (April/May). Perhaps the hardest thing so far has been choosing a destination.

I was wondering if anyone has booked at our top 4 choices, or has/had inquired about weddings at these places and if anyone has ANY advice for us? We're in Mnotreal, Canada, by the way ... not sure if that makes a difference ...

Here are our top choices:

Iberostar Cozumel, Mexico
    BlueBay Villa Dorados, DR
    Ceiba Del Mar Beach & Spa, Riviera Maya
    Melia Las Dunas, Santa Clara, Cuba

We don't want to pay too much (the idea of this destination wedding is to SAVE money for us and our families) but we want to have an amazing week with close friends and family. Any advice/tips/tricks you can offer would be amazing. We're feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed at the moment!!

Blissfully,
    Miranda

#2 T&N

T&N
    • 141 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

Hi Miranda. I'm not sure about those specific resorts but I know a few brides-to-be from Ontario & they have all used SellOffVacations to book their destination wedings. I know that you could fly out of MontrĀ©al if you booked through them. Just a suggestion. Happy planning!!
      Tamara

#3 BlissfulMsMiranda

BlissfulMsMiranda
      • 512 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thanks Tamara - I almost forgot about SellOff!! I've been back and forth between Expedia.ca, RedTag.ca and GoTravelDirect.ca ...

I'm hope a travel agent will be able to swing some sort of deal if we're going to be about 20 people all together on the same flight and at the same resort ...

#4 Mishka Designs

Mishka Designs
        • 1,574 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:25 PM

Congrats and welcome to the forum!!

#5 MrsFisher2B

MrsFisher2B
          • 104 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

I was looking into Iberostar Cozumel. After talking with my TA though, we decided not to consider it anymore because she said Cozumel is VERY rocky and not really a "barefoot on the beach" type place. She said it is great for snorkeling, but you need to wear shoes to walk on the beach. Just a tid bit of opinions that we got. I was disappointed because the resort looks so beautiful.

#6 Richard King

Richard King
            • 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

Look at Paridisio de Orr in Gardalavaca in Cuba. We were privaliged to shoot a wedding there last year, and bay far it is one of the best hotels in the world

Also, hire a car and get out of the tourist area, you will find the real Cuba which is amazing

Richard

#7 ehegwer

ehegwer
              • 139 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:59 PM

I second Cuba -
                For only a little bit of money you can hire a driver to take you around and really see some amazing things.

#8 NewOrleansbride

NewOrleansbride
                • 358 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:06 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by MrsFisher2B
                  I was looking into Iberostar Cozumel. After talking with my TA though, we decided not to consider it anymore because she said Cozumel is VERY rocky and not really a "barefoot on the beach" type place. She said it is great for snorkeling, but you need to wear shoes to walk on the beach. Just a tid bit of opinions that we got. I was disappointed because the resort looks so beautiful.
                  I've been there a few times, and although it's gorgeous, it is very rocky. I have heard the side of the island that is not very touristy has beautiful sand beaches, but I don't know if they have any resorts there.
                  -Rachel

#9 BlissfulMsMiranda

BlissfulMsMiranda
                  • 512 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:04 PM

Alright girls ... I think we MAY have a winner ... quite possibly it will be the Melia Cayo Guillermo, Cuba ...

It all depends on the available dates!! We'll know by the end of the week ...

#10 Mylee84

Mylee84
                    • 287 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hi Miranda! We are on about the same timeline as you and your FI. I dont know much about all those resorts as I have only stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal in the Riviera Maya. However I did visit the Iberostar Cozumel. The resort was wonderful (swim up bar was awesome), but the beach was not very nice. I suggest Iberostar Quetzal!! We are getting married there May 15!! =) We are waiting until May because if you go in April it is still spring break time for high schoolers (in the US) and the prices may be higher. Hope this helps!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users