Sign in to follow this  
-Kate-

Why I should stop drinking...

I was less than 100% sober at my training this week and I dropped my cell phone in the toilet. It's not so much working anymore. I'm so mad because we just signed up for a 2 year contract and toilet-dunking is not covered by the warranty. And I'm mad because I had to reach into a toilet at a bar to fish it out. At least it was pre-pee.

they say blow dry it should work and put it on the tv dont ask me I saw it on the news.

Good think it was pee pee hopefully your pee pee

How to Save a Wet Cell Phone - wikiHow

1. Get it out of the water as soon as possible. The plastic covers on cell phones are fairly tight, but water can enter the phone over time. But this time may be quite short - 20 seconds or less. So grab your phone quickly! If you can't get to it in time, your best bet is to remove the battery while it is still under water. Water helps dissipate heat from shorts that can damage the phone, so most damage occurs when the inside of the phone is merely wet and there is a power source.

2. Remove the battery. This is one of the most important steps. Don't take time to think about it; electricity and water do not mix. Cutting power to your phone is a crucial first step in saving it. Many circuits inside the phone will survive immersion in water provided they are not attached to a power source when wet.

3. If you have a GSM carrier, remove your SIM card. Some or all of your valuable contacts (along with other data) could be stored on your SIM. To some people this could be more worth saving than the phone itself. SIM cards survive water damage well, but some of the following steps are unnecessary i.e. don't heat it. Just pat it dry and leave it aside until you need to connect your phone to your cellular network. (This step does not apply to CDMA carriers such as Verizon, Alltel, US Cellular,Sprint, etc.)

4. Dry your phone. Obviously you need to remove as much of the water as soon as possible, so you can save it from getting into the phone. Shake it out without dropping it, then use a towel or paper towel to gently remove as much of the remaining water as possible. Dry the excess moisture by hand.

5. Remove any covers and external connectors to open up as many gaps, slots, and crevices as possible.

6. Use a vacuum if possible. Do not use a hair dryer (even on a "cool" mode) to dry out the phone, as this may force moisture further into the small components, deep inside the phone. If moisture is driven deeper inside, corrosion and oxidation may result when minerals from liquids are deposited on the circuitry. Using a hairdryer might be a temporary fix, but this will eventually cause component failure inside the phone. Instead, remove all residual moisture by drawing it away with a vacuum cleaner held over the affected areas for up to 20 minutes in each accessible area. This is the fastest method and can completely dry out your phone and get it working in thirty minutes. Be careful not to hold the vacuum too close to the phone, as a vacuum can create static electricity, which is even worse.

7. Use a substance with a high affinity for water to help draw out moisture. Leave the phone in a bowl or bag of uncooked rice over night. The rice would absorb any remaining moisture. If available, it is preferable to use desiccant instead. Desiccant will absorb moisture better than rice. It may be found under a brand name such as "Damp Rid" or "Dry Right".

8. Let the phone sit on absorbent towels, napkin, or other paper. Remember that the goal is to evacuate all the moisture and humidity, not to trap it or add even more. Check every hour for 4 to 6 hours. If moisture is evident, repeat the vacuuming step and desiccant steps.

9. Test your phone. After you have waited a day or so, make sure everything is clean and dry looking and re-attach the battery to the phone and see if it works. If your phone does not work, try plugging it into its charger without the battery, if this works, you need a new battery. If not, try taking your cell phone to an authorized dealer. Sometimes they can fix it. Don't try to hide the fact that it has been wet. There are internal indicators that prove moisture.

I dropped my brand new 5 day old phone in a pitcher of juice... after drying it out, it works fine. The keys stuck for awhile, I had to clean them about 10 times, but it works!

I dropped mine in a toilet at a bar once. I opened it all up and dried it out for two days. It worked crappy for a while but then it all started working again. When did it happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat81 View Post
I dropped mine in a toilet at a bar once. I opened it all up and dried it out for two days. It worked crappy for a while but then it all started working again. When did it happen?
It happened on Wednesday night. I think the problem is that I didn't take the battery out and open it up until the next morning.

i have never dropped it in the toilet, but have dropped it in water and it sucks!! I think I just took it back to the phone company and didn't mention why it stopped working.

do you have a back-up?