Recommend a Good Beach Book?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 LBP

• 49 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

Marian Keyes is a great chick lit author. Some of her book titles are "Sushi for Beginners", "Last Chance Saloon" and "Under the Duvet"..happy reading.

#22 DreaW

• Banned
    • 2,462 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:03 AM

thank you girls for this list :)

#23 teacherbride

• 354 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cassondra2009
        Thats my favorite book!! It's great...I should read it again sometime.

My favorite author of the moment is Jodi Picoult. Her books are easy to read but are usually about serious topics. Anyone else reading her books?
        I'm pretty sure I've read ALL of Jodi Picoults books! I love love love her!!!

The only two I wasn't so fond of were Mercy and Salem Falls. Other than that, SOOO good!

#24 Alyssa

• 11,793 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

my favorite beach reads are Vince Flynn books - they are the BEST!! CIA operative novels but written so well you cannot put them down.

#25 Jenn79

• 625 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

Emily Giffen's books are really fun reads. Something Borrowed is really good, as is Something Blue (the storylines are connected, and it's better to read Something Borrowed first).

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella is pretty good too.

Aside from the chick-lit though, anything by Jeffrey Deaver is good too. The Coffin Dancer and A Maiden's Grave are two of my favourites.
            Jenn & Timm, May 10, 2007
            Review Pictures Pro Pictures
            "i write to be read" Fiction by Timm Holmes

#26 Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 5,752 posts
            • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

lauren! so glad you recommended david sedaris. he is one of my all time favorite authors. i have all of his books! and all of them are signed to me because i went to some book signings of his a few years ago. i have literally laughed out loud with every single one of his books, and on a few ocassions, fallen out of a chair i was laughing so hard!

#27 nolaroy724

• 308 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by lauren c.
              the time traveler's wife is being made into a movie. it'll be out this christmas. funny, b/c about 3 yrs ago, when i read it, i said it would make a fantastic movie if done well. i saw gwenyth in it, but they went w/ rachel mcadams.
              i read a few jodi picoult, but i feel like they are all the same. best picoult was 'my sister's keeper'. same thing w/ anita shreve - read one if you want to read a good book, read more than one if you want to read the same thing all over again. best anita shreve - a wedding in december.
              i read eat, pray, love...i think you either love it or hate it. i loved the part about italy, but was bored throughout the rest.
              i'm a huge fan of anything augusten burroughs (running w/ scissors, esp - movie was terrible, but book was great), david sedaris (naked - laughed so hard i fell out of my chair), chuck palaniuk and douglas coupland, if you have a sick sense of humor. i also loved the book 'water for elephants' by sara gruen.
              currently i'm reading 'when you are engulfed in flames' by david sedaris.
              oh, and if you are really sick like me, read 'a dirty job' and/or 'lamb' by christopher moore. in lamb, you find out why jews eat chinese food on christmas, lol.
              Absolutely love David Sedaris - Amy Sedaris has written some funny stuff too!

Amy Tan also writes good beach reads.

#28 JessicaM

• Vendor
              • 1,969 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by xandrafaye
                The Shopaholic Series are great too!!
                Love her books!! Also Jennifer Weiner has some fun easy read books too!!

#29 Amarillis

• 1,913 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:14 PM

I borrowed this from my mom and it was a great light read!!!

I'd definately recommend it!

Red, White, and Drunk All Over: A Wine-Soaked Journey from Grape to Glass
                  by Natalie MacLean

#30 Nrvsbride

• 5,248 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

Karen I have a few mindless read chick lits if you want. I can give them to Jason when he comes to Queens.

I have Tori Spelling's book "sTori Telling"
                    Plum Sykes "Celebutantes'
                    Lauren Weisenberg "Chasing Harry Winston"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users