Photo

In England for a month...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BarefootBride

BarefootBride
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

I just got here about a few hours ago... customs and immigration... I was so looking forward to it... ironically this time I didnt get the 3rd degree. They are sooooo strict about immigration. I dont know... with the lady at the exchange place telling me that I could get some pence for a 5 dollar bill..and me just paying 40 bucks for a sandwich and coke for dinner...who wants to live here? This place is expensive!!!
    Okay just had to vent... am I the only person that experiences this every time I come to this country?
    BTW, Im not knocking it... I actually love some things about it.

#2 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
    • 2,262 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:34 PM

Nope its expensive and I've lived here all my life. You've come at a bad time - economy is starting to crash

Did you fly into London cause thats the worst for expensive

#3 BarefootBride

BarefootBride
      • 1,266 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

Yes. Im staying at Heathrow Sheraton right now. Whats the best place to get a decent rate to exchange
        Tomorrow I head to Plymouth (LOVE that place) so things wont be so expensive... I cant believe I just ate a shitty 40 dollar sandwich...

#4 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
        • 2,262 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

If you can hang on to do your exchange i'd wait until you get to plymouth but its still going to be about $2 to a £1 if not slightly more, possibly travel agents or the post office might be best than a money centre.

Yeah it pisses me off when I have to pay stupid prices in London 2 and that hotel is off the chart expensive wise

Head north we are so much better lol

#5 CarrieRN

CarrieRN
          • 815 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

the value of the dollar sucks! I love London and England but it is so expensive.

I told my FI that we must go to England next April no matter what...as a late honeymoon and pre pregnancy trip. He has never been and I just love it there. So much so that I don't care if it costs me more. Have to take him there before we have a baby and things will be too difficult.
            http://i236.photobuc....m/IMG_1472.jpg
            Philip at 1 yr old. Go Steelers!
            Soon I will get to post wedding pics, figure I should get some more Philip in first!

http://dv.daisypath.com/Mvdhm5/.png

#6 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
            • 2,262 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

you might find its cheaper next year because our economy is about to crash

#7 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
              • 4,881 posts
              • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
              • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
              • LocationNew York

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

I love England. London is tied with Verona and Florence for my favorite places in the world (other than wherever FI is of course).

Yes, it's ridiculously expensive, but if you quit converting and comparing you'll be SO much happier. (Easier said than done, I know.)

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#8 1elephant

1elephant
              • VIP Member
              • 15,998 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:34 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by becks
                I love England. London is tied with Verona and Florence for my favorite places in the world (other than wherever FI is of course).

Yes, it's ridiculously expensive, but if you quit converting and comparing you'll be SO much happier. (Easier said than done, I know.)
                i 100% agree! you can't compare. it is what it is - you can't change it once you're there! london is my favorite city in the world. i'm so jealous!

#9 melody

melody
                • 236 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:55 PM

I love London...it is one of my favorite city in Europe with Paris :-)

#10 Alyssa

Alyssa
                  • 11,793 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:47 AM

What are you doing there for a month?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users