Azul Sensatori Brides - POST HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita2014 View Post

Hello Ladies.

I have been lurking for 3 weeks and want to introduce myself.  My name is Lola and I am recently engaged (Aug 17th).  I am getting married at Azul Sensatori June 20th, 2014.  I was happy, at first, to have finalized a Resort and date, but now I'm freaking out.

We have until Friday to submit our room block contract.  Prior to planning, my fiancé and I were sure that we would have 25-30 guests.  I have since realized my best friend (and hopeful maid of honor) starts IVF next month and would be due in July. Therefore, no out-of-country travel. I just realized my next choice for maid of honor has lupus and is very sensitive to sunlight (she would need sunglasses throughout the ceremony). His proposed best man, just relocated for a new job, has a toddler and has already expressed concern about expense. Between us we have 4 friends getting married between April and Labor Day weekend 2014 (one will also be destination and the other 3 will be in 3 different states). So, I am seeing some mutual friends having to make a choice as to which wedding they can attend.  I burst into tears after my brother said he intends to use his time-share in Mexico and offer it to other family members as well.

I'm seeing our number of potential guests being less than the ten rooms needed for us to have our group rate.

Has anyone had this happen?

I'm scared to ask people to book under one rate and then find out 2 months prior that the rate has increased because we can't book 10 rooms.  I also see no need in having a wedding if we have a very small turn-out.  I would prefer to elope, but my FI refuses.

My mom says I'm overthinking things and shouldn't worry, but I am.

Can anyone share their experience?

Thank you,

Lola

Hi Lola,

Congratulations on your recent engagement!

For our wedding we blocked off 20 rooms in order to get the special rate. However, I don't know exactly how many rooms you need at a minimum to hold a specific rate. We have to release any unused rooms by the end of October so we do not get penalized.

I can definitely relate to your stress. My FI and I were initially going to elope in Bora Bora and have a huge reception party back home with all our friends and family. Then, I realized I couldn't get married without my parents present and a lot of our family and friends were upset. So, we decided to do a destination wedding in Mexico since it's closer and invite everyone :) Regardless, we knew we wanted to get married somewhere warm and on a beach!

I also understand you being upset with the dwindling guest count. We invited 275 people to Mexico and expected about half to come. Well, my RSVP's are due back October 1st and we have 40 confirmed so far. We expected a lot more than 40 people! But, with a destination wedding I feel like you really have to go into it with the understanding that your best friend or close family may not be able to come. I did get REALLY upset when I saw some of our RSVP's come back, because literally no one from my mom's side of the family can afford to come.

And, if it makes you feel any better, we aren't having a bridal party at all. We thought with a destination it just makes everything way easier.

Don't stress, just enjoy the planning!!

Jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennypert View Post

Hi Elizabeth,

We are booked at AS for June 6 2014 with our wedding at the Sky Terrace and the reception at Zavas Plaza. While you are there, can you check out the Wedding Cakes? I really can't see a wedding without Wedding Cake but would like to know if they are as bad as others say. We visited last May while staying at the resort next door, Secrets Silversands. We thought it was a beautiful resort and the seaweed on the beach didn't bother us since we spend most of the time at the pool. Also, can you check how late the bars are open at night. My family tends to stay up late playing cards, drinking and talking. It would be good to do that in a bar instead of someone's room.

Have fun! Let us know what you think when you get back.

Jenny

Hi Jenny, I'll definitely look into it and let you know. :) I'm hoping the night life is somewhat promising as well. Our party is growing by the day and, ironicallly, mostly with our firends. I thought is would be a lot of families with kids but only a few have committed so far.
Hi Elizabeth, I thought we would have a few kids but so far only 4 teenagers out of 45 who have booked. I don't expect too many more but you never know. Enjoy your vacation in Mexico. Jenny

Hello Ladies. I have been lurking for 3 weeks and want to introduce myself.  My name is Lola and I am recently engaged (Aug 17th).  I am getting married at Azul Sensatori June 20th, 2014.  I was happy, at first, to have finalized a Resort and date, but now I'm freaking out. We have until Friday to submit our room block contract.  Prior to planning, my fiancé and I were sure that we would have 25-30 guests.  I have since realized my best friend (and hopeful maid of honor) starts IVF next month and would be due in July. Therefore, no out-of-country travel. I just realized my next choice for maid of honor has lupus and is very sensitive to sunlight (she would need sunglasses throughout the ceremony). His proposed best man, just relocated for a new job, has a toddler and has already expressed concern about expense. Between us we have 4 friends getting married between April and Labor Day weekend 2014 (one will also be destination and the other 3 will be in 3 different states). So, I am seeing some mutual friends having to make a choice as to which wedding they can attend.  I burst into tears after my brother said he intends to use his time-share in Mexico and offer it to other family members as well. I'm seeing our number of potential guests being less than the ten rooms needed for us to have our group rate. Has anyone had this happen? I'm scared to ask people to book under one rate and then find out 2 months prior that the rate has increased because we can't book 10 rooms.  I also see no need in having a wedding if we have a very small turn-out.  I would prefer to elope, but my FI refuses. My mom says I'm overthinking things and shouldn't worry, but I am. Can anyone share their experience? Thank you, Lola
Hi Lola, I went through similar angst before signing my contract for 15 rooms. In my contract, I need a minimum of 10 rooms to guarantee the rate. If you are really concerned about meeting the minimum, then ask your TA to give you other options. If you don't think you can make the commitment, don't sign the contract. Otherwise, you will fret about paying the deposit. For us, we had 13 rooms booked by the booking deadline and now have 17 rooms with deposits and promises for 2 more. Make sure everyone who books, gets cancel for any reason insurance. My wedding is June 6, 2014, several months from now and life can interrupt the best plans. Once the anxiety of getting the minimum number of rooms booked, you can start concentrating on the fun stuff like reception location, food, decorations and flowers. I've had lots of fun with the planning and hope you do also. Jenny P.s. are you doing a beach wedding or the Sky Terrace Wedding?

We'll be doing a beach wedding.  My TA has given us no other option, so I will do some research.  Definitely plan to get the insurance.  I can't wait to get past this hump, so I can focus on planning. Best wishes.

Hi Lola,

We actually didn't block rooms because we were pretty sure it wasn't going to be a huge turn out, we received a rate with a 30% or 35%  discount(Cant remember) if ppl booked by a certain date.  As long as 5 rooms were booked, we would all receive that discount.  When we sent the save the dates we gave the guest pricing on a standard room for 3, 4 and 5 night just so they had an idea and then added a blurb letting them know upgraded categories would be add'l.  I gave them the date they had to book by to receive this rate.  Then about a month from that date I sent emails out just reminding ppl.  After the date passed I reached out to my TA and asked her what pricing would be at that point and the discount had dropped by 10% and would be at that rate til the end of the month, so I sent another email letting some ppl that I knew had expressed interest in going but just didnt book.  Most of the guests that I knew were coming had booked by the first deadline.

Hope that helps.

Jess

Thank you for the responses. We contacted the hotel directly and they will give us a group rate with a minimum of 5 rooms booked.  I am confident we will have that number.  A weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  Now we can focus on the wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita2014 View Post

Thank you for the responses. We contacted the hotel directly and they will give us a group rate with a minimum of 5 rooms booked.  I am confident we will have that number.  A weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  Now we can focus on the wedding.

I am glad you have been able to find a solution to your worries! It is hard planning a destination wedding, but SO worth it! Check out the official thread: http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/t/84306/official-azul-sensatori-thread

Here you will find photos of the resort, ceremony and dinner sites, ideas, and lots of planning help! Good luck :D