Here's some ideas on how I cut corners:
- brought down my own paper lanterns - ~$40 for 20 lanterns from asianideas.com. They fold flat in your suitcase.
- made my own LED throwies to light the lanterns - ~13. Bought the LED lights and Batteries from ebay. Search the forums for "LED Throwies" for complete material lists.
- brought down my own centerpieces - ~20 for 5 vases, and I'm filling them with limes purchased locally in Mexico. Add a little water to the vase and voila, centerpieces.
- I'm arranging a bride side vs. groom side beach/pool volleyball game so that everyone will have a chance to meet each other - FREE
- paid for the amplifier for the reception - ~$250. We made our own playlists for the wedding.
- we did spring for the sheers for the ceremony, but that's it.
As for what's available for your reception, check out
Well I'm brand new to BDW, and am thisclose to choosing Azul Sensatori for my May 2013 wedding. I spent this weekend reading the last year of posts on this thread, so I hope my questions aren't too redundant.
Our budget is extremely limited, so I'm wondering the best way to cut corners. It seems like a lot of you brought your own decorations. I was planning on using whatever sparse inclusions came with the free or Pearl package, but now I'm feeling like I should budget for sheers or lanterns or something. How little do you think I could get away with?
I was also trying to come up with options to enhance my guests' experience, but I'm having difficulty obtaining much information since we haven't booked yet. I'm thinking the s'mores bonfire would be a suitable welcome gift. Then I was considering doing the donkey bar (sans donkey) as a private cocktail reception after the ceremony. We'd follow this with "free" reservation dinner at Spoons (are there other options?). Does this make sense to do? Is there a better option? I don't think we'll have a DJ or anything like that since I'd rather spend my resort fee money on a photographer.
How much in the way of extras (flowers, setup, hair) would you estimate you spent?
I would love to just book the resort and figure it all out later, but since we're cash-limited it'd help me to be able to ballpark additional expenses.
This thread is amazing; thanks in advance!
(and this might be a double post)