Jump to content

Recommended Posts

 

 

Originally Posted by msmarmar123 View Post

 

My TA just got back from a seminar at Karisma Resorts...she said it was beautiful and service was amazing...food was delicious...she suggested room service for breakfast and late night snacks. 

 

 

I think I only had breakfast in the restaurant two mornings out of 10 during my stay!  Every other morning was room service on the balcony.  Soooo good!!  Why get dressed when you can eat in a robe?

 

 

 

Originally Posted by amybermuda View Post

 

Full disclosure: DH and I are pretty anti-gifts.  We'd rather go on vacation or out to eat than buy each other stuff.  And for Xmas, we tell our families to do secret santa or nothing. 

 

 

We are exactly the same way!!!  I'm very anti-giving gifts just because you're supposed to.  It needs to mean something.  Every anniversary instead of giving gifts we stay at a B&B somewhere.  I tried to get my family to do the secret santa route, but they wouldn't hear of it, sadly. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     Quote:

Originally Posted by daniepps View Post

I thought you only gave parents gifts if they contributed

Sorry if I'm no help.

No. Thanks for your insight. I really wanted to get my mom something nice because she's doing my bridal shower and she bought my dress. That alone was thousands of dollars although she didn't directly contribute to the wedding. FI's parents on the other hand have not contributed at all but from what I'm hearing they plan to give us a lump sum of money for a wedding gift huh.gif Wish it would come BEFORE but I digress!
 

Originally Posted by JaimeTalis View Post


 

Instead of getting something tangible to carry to Mexico, you could always look into getting them something there.  Bottle of wine, massage, candle light dinner...

This is an amazing suggestion! I think I may get my mom a massage the day of the wedding. Thanks for the suggestion!
 

Originally Posted by taylorwd View Post

 

Sorry, I'm with Danielle on this one.  Our parents didn't contribute to your wedding, so we didn't give formal gifts.  However, we did pay for my mom's trip, so I think that would count as a gift!  I bet AmyKH will be lots of help in this area :)

That was DEFINITELY a gift....and a good one at that!
 

Originally Posted by MaggieandJay View Post

 

My Grandparents are getting a engraved picture frame with one of our wedding photos in it

 

Hope that helps!

Thanks. I may do this in addition to the massage.
 

Originally Posted by TLGnhci View Post

A personalized handkerchief with something sweet is a nice gift for a mom, I think.  :o)

I actually bought one for each of our mothers from Oriental Trading but they were like $5 so I kinda wanted to do something in addition.
 

Originally Posted by msmarmar123 View Post

We'll probably do that for this too...my mom has already contributed...we still don't have a clue what FI's parents are giving (they say they are...but......) regardless if they are giving us wedding money..they are paying to travel to the wedding..so..in a way that its kind of contributing...and i feel worthy of some small token of thanks.

I agree. I am a big gift giver and I would have given them something regardless of their contribution. However, I feel my mom is entitled to something bigger than his parents because not only did she surprise me and pay for my dress, she has been doing a lot of the running around and crafty projects that I dream up. In their defense, FI's parents did offer to pay for a rehearsal dinner. However, I have to laugh at this because it's an all-inclusive resort but whatever I guess.

 

Originally Posted by msmarmar123 View Post

Meredith...she had some pics of white chair covers with dark purple bows...looked SO GOOD...I will email you that in a minute...

Loved the pic! Even though I second guess myself about my color choice sometimes, everytime I see it I get happy. Crazy, I know.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboponthebeach View Post
 

 

Meredith...check out Etsy and see what they have as far as personalized address books. They have a wide array of nice ones there that you can have personalized in every way imaginable. I am 100% positive that all of my gifts to the parents, BM's, and GM's will come from that site.

Thanks! I'm going to check it out tonite.
 

Originally Posted by amybermuda View Post


Full disclosure: DH and I are pretty anti-gifts.  We'd rather go on vacation or out to eat than buy each other stuff.  

I would rather vacation also but FI is pretty big on gift giving and I have to admit he's pretty good at it so sometimes I just submit. Lol! He wasn't planning on getting his parents anything and asked me if it was customary and I wasn't sure. I just felt like it would be wrong to present my mom with a gift (we plan to do it at our cocktail party) and not give his parents anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all of your gift suggestions! I really appreciate it and I guess you'll find out how that goes if I can ever get a planning thread together.

 

On another note, WARNING...here comes my rant rant.gif

 

So, last week was the first time I spoke to Carolina and I have to say she seems very organized and nice but I think she was brushing me off. We went over all the details of our wedding and she gave me some pointers and sent me some links of helpful info. But now that I look back on it, nothing that I wanted negotiated was she successful with. She kind of shut me down on some things because she said she "knew" they weren't going to budge on them so I let them go. My main gripe, however, was the chiviari chairs!! She emailed me today and said that after a week of negotiating (which I really wonder if she did) they will not come down on the price. I refuse to pay $12/chair ($1200 total for the wedding and reception) BUT I really want them! I even negotiated with myself and said that I would only pay for them to be at one event even if they didn't come down on the price but honestly I'M PISSED! I know for a fact that some of you ladies have gotten the price down on the chairs, therefore I know someone is lying or playing hardball. I'm not an overly pushy person, so I have not pressed the negotiating issue on anything else that they turned me down on but this really makes me mad!!

 

We aren't using most of the stuff given in the pearl or the sky ceremony packages. We're bringing our own minister (I know that's like $400 saved right there). The fans they say are "personalized" for the sky aren't that at all. I just found out they're black an white which we can't use, so that's another thing I have to buy. The "personalized" programs aren't that nice IMO, so I'm making my own. They quoted me $300 for bouquets that I wanted so I'm bringing my own and my plan was to use the $50 bouquet that's included in the package as a toss bouquet (which kinda sucks because the person won't be able to keep it) but that was included free with the bouquets I had to purchase so I won't be using that either. Then, I find out from AmyKH that the damn live streaming of the wedding didn't even work for her and that was one of the ways I was able to justify the additional cost of the Sky Wedding to my FI!!

 

I am just so outdone that they won't go down on the chairs for me considering all of this. I haven't gotten a break on anything else price-wise except the cocktail party. I know I signed up for this and these chairs aren't "necessary" but thinking about it just makes me mad. Sorry for the rant but I just had to say something. sad.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


 

Originally Posted by dstinationdrmr View Post

Thanks for all of your gift suggestions! I really appreciate it and I guess you'll find out how that goes if I can ever get a planning thread together.

 

On another note, WARNING...here comes my rant rant.gif

 

So, last week was the first time I spoke to Carolina and I have to say she seems very organized and nice but I think she was brushing me off. We went over all the details of our wedding and she gave me some pointers and sent me some links of helpful info. But now that I look back on it, nothing that I wanted negotiated was she successful with. She kind of shut me down on some things because she said she "knew" they weren't going to budge on them so I let them go. My main gripe, however, was the chiviari chairs!! She emailed me today and said that after a week of negotiating (which I really wonder if she did) they will not come down on the price. I refuse to pay $12/chair ($1200 total for the wedding and reception) BUT I really want them! I even negotiated with myself and said that I would only pay for them to be at one event even if they didn't come down on the price but honestly I'M PISSED! I know for a fact that some of you ladies have gotten the price down on the chairs, therefore I know someone is lying or playing hardball. I'm not an overly pushy person, so I have not pressed the negotiating issue on anything else that they turned me down on but this really makes me mad!!

 

We aren't using most of the stuff given in the pearl or the sky ceremony packages. We're bringing our own minister (I know that's like $400 saved right there). The fans they say are "personalized" for the sky aren't that at all. I just found out they're black an white which we can't use, so that's another thing I have to buy. The "personalized" programs aren't that nice IMO, so I'm making my own. They quoted me $300 for bouquets that I wanted so I'm bringing my own and my plan was to use the $50 bouquet that's included in the package as a toss bouquet (which kinda sucks because the person won't be able to keep it) but that was included free with the bouquets I had to purchase so I won't be using that either. Then, I find out from AmyKH that the damn live streaming of the wedding didn't even work for her and that was one of the ways I was able to justify the additional cost of the Sky Wedding to my FI!!

 

I am just so outdone that they won't go down on the chairs for me considering all of this. I haven't gotten a break on anything else price-wise except the cocktail party. I know I signed up for this and these chairs aren't "necessary" but thinking about it just makes me mad. Sorry for the rant but I just had to say something. sad.gif


Well, that's really sucky.  I get a little anxious every day when I hear all the nickel and dime stuff with this resort.  :(  It is very frustrating.  I thought they were supposed to make our day perfect.  I suppose perfect doesn't come without a cost though.  Boo.  Well, I'm sorry to hear you're having such a tough time.  Hopefully something will come along that will kind of even it out?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey ladies,

 

Do we have any April 30th/May 1st brides on here?  Was interested in seeing if there's anyone who will be there around the same time so we might be able to discuss sharing a photog..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Originally Posted by murmel View Post

 

 

 

I would love to know about the chair covers too please!

 

 

 

 

 

Originally Posted by MaggieandJay View Post

 

 

 

me too!

 

 

Sorry guys....my TA read it wrong...that would have been great...unlimited UNCOVERED chairs...srtill have to pay for covers....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Originally Posted by TLGnhci View Post

 

Hey ladies,

 

Do we have any April 30th/May 1st brides on here?  Was interested in seeing if there's anyone who will be there around the same time so we might be able to discuss sharing a photog..... 

 

You should check on the April 2011 and May 2011 threads to see if anyone has those dates.  Maybe you'll get lucky!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you girls know anything about doing a food tasting during a site visit? I asked my WC about a few weeks ago and she yet to get a response from the onsite crew.  If it costs extra thats fine, I'd just love to get some sort of info on it.  My next visit is only 2 weeks away, so I'm getting anxious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Originally Posted by JaimeCF2BR View Post

 

Do you girls know anything about doing a food tasting during a site visit? I asked my WC about a few weeks ago and she yet to get a response from the onsite crew.  If it costs extra thats fine, I'd just love to get some sort of info on it.  My next visit is only 2 weeks away, so I'm getting anxious!

 

Are you just doing a visit (a few hours)? Or are you staying for a few days? We stayed for 4 days in April and they gave us a tour of the whole resort, and little taster drinks and a little bite at every restaurant. If you're wondering about the extra menu items for the private events, I don't think you can taste those...but overall everything we tried at the resort was good to excellent, so I am really not worried.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Girls!

 

My name is Jenni...been lurking on this site for a few days. 

 

FH & I are planning on getting married at Azul Sensatori or El Dorado Royale, next summer!

 

We are going to visit on Sept 4th!!!!  Leaning more towards Azul because it is kid friendly and I love the sky ceremony.

 

I see a lot of you girls are working with TAs?  is this something we should be doing?

 

we thought about working with a wedding planning co called Luxe...they are TAs and wedding planners in one...but someone who is a TA told me not bother because the staff at the hotel is super helpful.

 

Anyway, Im super excited to chat with you girls!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Hi Brides! I have a Wally Bag - 66" available - $90 + shipping (US only) The wally bag typically sells for $120-$180. I used this gown bag once to transport my dress from MN to Mexico for our wedding - IT WAS PERFECT!   I was actually able to pack 4 additional maxi dresses, and my husband's wedding attire, plus a few pairs of shoes and some jewelry. I packed the dress the night before we left, and just moments before we left, I zipped the bag and folded it - ready for travel. It comes up with a nice over-the-shoulder strap, making it really easy to carry through the airports. No issues on Delta with the bag as my carry-on - I chose to put in the overhead bin, but the flight attendant did offer to hang it in the closet for me. Once we got to the resort, about 10 hours after I first folded the bag, I unpacked the bag and my dress was perfect - no wrinkles! My dress was mostly lace and had a bit of a train, but it arrived perfectly!  Honestly, this is the best way to travel with your dress! 
    • we ended up using Facebook messenger when we were in Mexico - the hotel had free wifi and at least 1 person from each family/couple had FB on their phone already - it was pretty easy to communicate among guests "hey, we're heading to the beach bbq for lunch." or "everyone is hanging at the small pool today".  a plus was that some people tried to get a hold of me via FB on the day of the wedding and I was totally not checking my phone - they were asking if the wedding was outside given the rain forecast, thankful my mom, MOH and a few other friends were on the group and could respond for me :) 
    • Are you looking for a guide where you’ll find many tips and steps to follow to make your wedding a success? We design a special for you, where you will find: Photography Tips To-Do List Check list How to choose the best dress? Memories and invitations And much more! Download it now for free from: http://emweddings.com/WeddingGuide/index.html     Don’t stress. Enjoy every moment, tomorrow will be your best memories. See you soon!
    • Another option is to find an app that allows for group talk. This Wedding Party App looks pretty neat. https://apracticalwedding.com/wedding-party-app/ 
    • Hi Everyone, So, I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I never sold off my extra wedding OOT bag stuff from our wonderful DW.   46 Daily Spanish for Dummies 30 Pool colored OOT fabric bags - approximately 13in x 13in. They lay flat.  I used them for our wedding and they were perfect for everything we needed to fit in each bag. There’s a slight shade variation in the group; I’m guessing some were cut from a different bolt of fabric.  They are also a little wrinkled from storage and will probably be wrinkled from shipping. I have three additional ones, but they somehow got something on them (likely toddler related). If needed, I can try to wash it out and send those as well. 
  • Topics

×