Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi Ladies,

My TA/Wedding consultant is recommending this hotel for my wedding hopefully in December 2009! Ive been looking at the info on their website, but I would like to know what are most people doing for the reception? I think what's included in the package is "reservations" for the Spoons restaurant, but it would still be open to everyone else staying at the hotel right? I was trying to see how much it would cost to have a private reception, and it looked like it could cost around $60 each guest.... is it possible to do the Spoons option and still have a dance floor/DJ? Also, are you ladies thinking of using the spa for your hair and makeup or bringing/doing your own thing? Thanks! Any info/advice will help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi BcBride!

 

We've opted to go with a private reception (I want it to be 'private', and we have more than 40 guests). It is possible to keep it on the cheap if you choose one of their fixed 3-course dinner options. That is what we went with. It still includes a 4-hour open bar, and it allows us to have a private party. Having a dance floor may be an incremental cost depending on which location you choose for the reception.

 

We're loading up our ipod which means we only have to pay $250 to rent the speakers/microphone for the reception, and we are skipping out on a DJ. A friend has offered to take care of the music for us (stopping and starting for speaches/etc.)

 

I'm going to have my hair stylist create the look that I want here at home, and she will take pictures along the way. That way, the ladies at the spa will know exactly what I want!

I'm also going to go for a makeup consultaion before I head to Mexico as well, and then I will attempt to do it myself. I'm too nervous about someone else making me look unlike myself on the big day.

 

Hope that helps!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbride View Post
Hi Ladies,
My TA/Wedding consultant is recommending this hotel for my wedding hopefully in December 2009! Ive been looking at the info on their website, but I would like to know what are most people doing for the reception? I think what's included in the package is "reservations" for the Spoons restaurant, but it would still be open to everyone else staying at the hotel right? I was trying to see how much it would cost to have a private reception, and it looked like it could cost around $60 each guest.... is it possible to do the Spoons option and still have a dance floor/DJ? Also, are you ladies thinking of using the spa for your hair and makeup or bringing/doing your own thing? Thanks! Any info/advice will help!
welcome bcbride!

yes, spoons will be open to the public and i highly doubt they will let you have a dj in there. if you don't want to spend money on a private reception, a good option for you would be to have dinner at spoons and then take your guests to one of the bars with music to dance and party. of course it won't be "your music," but not a bad option!

i am hosting 100 ppl there in may so i am having a private reception as well as a private welcome party. the amount of money i am saving on the reception compared to what i would have been spending in new york is fantastic! they have really great and inexpensive options, if that is the route you plan to go.

i am still not sure about the hair and make up. i think i may get my make up done, but since i have wild curly hair, i don't know how much i will trust the hair stylist. my hair is NOT easy! wink.gif

does anyone getting married at the azul have curly hair and is getting it done there? i am curious what type of do you are going for.

have a great day everyone!
jenni

Jenni + Mike . Rivera Maya, Mexico . May 17, 2009

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.meyer73109 View Post
Hey all, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

I am leaving for my my cruise early Sunday (Nov. 30) morning and will be doing a site visit at Sensatori on Friday (Dec. 5). I plan on taking a bunch of pictures and reporting back on how everything goes. If anyone has any specific questions they want me to ask while I am there, PM me or post them and I will do my best to get them answered!
Can't wait to hear what you think and see some pictures! We are about 8 weeks out and I'm getting excited/nervous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jennik13 I have naturelly curly hair also!!! I am getting married in the azul fives not the sensatori but I have the same worries as you....my hair tends to go abit fizzy in humidity so I plan on putting it up. I am not sure what I am doing, I will definately leave it curly as if I even try to straighten it the hot weather, goodness knows what fuzz ball I will end up with wink.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennik13 View Post
welcome bcbride!

yes, spoons will be open to the public and i highly doubt they will let you have a dj in there. if you don't want to spend money on a private reception, a good option for you would be to have dinner at spoons and then take your guests to one of the bars with music to dance and party. of course it won't be "your music," but not a bad option!

i am hosting 100 ppl there in may so i am having a private reception as well as a private welcome party. the amount of money i am saving on the reception compared to what i would have been spending in new york is fantastic! they have really great and inexpensive options, if that is the route you plan to go.

i am still not sure about the hair and make up. i think i may get my make up done, but since i have wild curly hair, i don't know how much i will trust the hair stylist. my hair is NOT easy! wink.gif

does anyone getting married at the azul have curly hair and is getting it done there? i am curious what type of do you are going for.

have a great day everyone!
jenni

Jenni + Mike . Rivera Maya, Mexico . May 17, 2009

Hi Jenni,

Yes, I am unfortunate enough to have crazy curly hair too! I'm not doing a veil, so I think I'm going to attempt to leave it down with it paritially pinned back with a flower. I didn't want an up do becuase I am going for a very laid back casual feel.

By the way, how did you manage to get 100 people attending??!! I'm having a tough time even getting some of my immediate family to go. What's your secret?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki07 View Post
Hi Jenni,

Yes, I am unfortunate enough to have crazy curly hair too! I'm not doing a veil, so I think I'm going to attempt to leave it down with it paritially pinned back with a flower. I didn't want an up do becuase I am going for a very laid back casual feel.

By the way, how did you manage to get 100 people attending??!! I'm having a tough time even getting some of my immediate family to go. What's your secret?
well the thing is - we invited about 300 people, so 100 ppl coming is 1/3. yes, it's a lot, but what we expected. a lot of my fiance's family can't come bc of $ so i think it definitely comes down to being a $ issue.

we have a lot of friends and huge families which is the main reason we are having a destination wedding. if we had a wedding in ny (where i am from) or toronto (where my fiance is from) it would be huge and sub par considering we had a budget. however, our budget can go a long way in mexico! ole!

also, to clear up my post before, it has been brought to my attention that the bars/lounges do not have music. the mojito lounge has live music but is not party music. has anyone heard different?

jenni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki07 View Post
Hi Jenni,

Yes, I am unfortunate enough to have crazy curly hair too! I'm not doing a veil, so I think I'm going to attempt to leave it down with it paritially pinned back with a flower. I didn't want an up do becuase I am going for a very laid back casual feel.

By the way, how did you manage to get 100 people attending??!! I'm having a tough time even getting some of my immediate family to go. What's your secret?
Nikki07 - "unfortunate enough to have crazy curly hair" - noooo we are lucky!! :) i mean it took me a good 20 years to like it! EMBRACE THE CURLS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennik13 View Post

also, to clear up my post before, it has been brought to my attention that the bars/lounges do not have music. the mojito lounge has live music but is not party music. has anyone heard different?

jenni
If that's the case then that is definitely bad news for me. I was not planning on having a private reception, so now I'm not sure what to do! It seems like most people are going the "private" route, but I really wanted to stick with my simple philosophy, and I am not aniticpating on having that many people.
I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey girls,

 

I'm sort of freaking out about the last post on trip advisor...I'm concerned about the beach and the smelly water that leaks out of the shower along with the inconsistent room/maid service.

 

I guess it's not something that would make me change my location (way too late for that) but just hope it gets fixed soon.

 

I just feel bad that all of my guests are paying so much money to come. I want them to have a great experience.

 

Humph!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Hello all!! I'm planning to get married next week. I'm working in an MNC and I'm gonna marry my colleague who is in my company. It's been ten months since we have started our relationship. He used to support in all my difficulties and used to help me in my work. Always he used to tell me about my smile. He says that I have a very good smile and he loves it. Recently I lost my front tooth after an accident and it resulted in a bad look for me. He told me that I lost my beautiful smile. I was totally disappointed and thought of finding a solution. I heard about dental dentures and took an appointment at a clinic in Scarborough. Will dentures affect my speech? What was your experience of getting dentures? 
    • Go for the third one. It is gorgeous and you will look stunning in that. I'm sure you will be noticed by other people. Go for it.
    • I would suggest the long one. You will look stunning in that. It is simple and elegant.
    • Both the gown are awesome and I'm sure you will look gorgeous in both. But I would suggest the first one. Go for it and Congratulations for your marriage.
    • Hello everyone,  I am still engaged, still not planning the big day, because we haven't chosen a date + we have some family stiff to do so I hope that this forum will help me a lot before the real craziness during the wedding planning period. Happy to be here
  • Topics

×