Your Favorite Natural Skin & Hair Products (SLS/Paraben/Chemical Free)

FYI: The moisturizer you mentioned and serum with SPF are chemical sunscreens with only .5% titanium dioxide. The other active ingredients are chemicals! That means you body absorbs them within 2-4 hours. So I hope you are not relying on these for your only sunscreen. And they're not natural with the chemical sunscreen added.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskim_red@msn.com View Post
I work for Origins so I'm a little biased but...

We introduced a real USDA certified Organic Line in the fall and it's selling like crazy. The USDA seal means it's food quality organic and completely free of everything. Other than that, European co's use the Eco-CERT seal (meaning Natural, not Organic) however, this is not a government agency so who really knows what goes on....

Makeup, Bare Escentials is ok, however, NOT their skincare line. Not the same as Bare Minerals or other mineral makeup either.

There are lots of websites out there that are all run by independent groups and if you read enough of them we wouldn't be able to use anything on ourselves!

Aveda, Origins...yes we are both plant-based but not all-natural (neither is anyone else I'd like to point out) in the Prestige brand world. The difference between us and co like MAC, clinique, etc., is that the preservatives are not your typical cosmetic co preservatives. We both use food-preservatives. This means if you eat boxed foods like cereal or Mac and Cheese, frozen foods, like Lean Cuisine that are not all-natural, you already consume these.

Origins uses wind energy in all of our corporate offices, stores, and manufacturing facilities, we use recycled packaging, papertowels, and non-chemical cleaning supplies. We also offer FREE FACIALS and makeup!

I've Bridal party makeup every Saturday for the last 6 weeks on the day of their weddings and all for FREE!! There's nothing better than doing a brides makeup on her wedding day and helping to bring out her natural beauty!

Hope this helps!
Good to know, thanks! The free make-up job really stuck out for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy&Andy View Post
I absolutely LOVE my Alba body butters....and I only use Pureology shampoos and conditioners since they are sulfite free and vegan. I use this face wash:
Buy Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi Online at drugstore.com
And just started using this daily face moisturizer and night serum...they are paraben free and I love them so far:
Nutri-Collagen Daily Moisturizer SPF 15 with Nutrx 8 Complex | Skin Appetit | Beauty & Spa | Walgreens
Nutri-Pro Night Serum with Nutrx 8 Complex | Skin Appetit | Beauty & Spa | Walgreens
Thanks for the links Amy :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msam007562 View Post
I must say, knowing that my obsession for products can be blamed on my an astrological thing definitely makes me feel better. smile36.gif hahaha! Do any fellow Geminis happen to also have a closet bursting with clothes that still have tags on them and a collection of shoes, many unworn, that would make Imelda Marcos do a double takehuh.gif fryingpan.gif
rofl.gif This is getting weird, because I am a Gemini also and do the exact same things that you other Gemini girls do! My FI thinks I am Cuckoo for Coco Puffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskim_red@msn.com View Post
I work for Origins so I'm a little biased but...

We introduced a real USDA certified Organic Line in the fall and it's selling like crazy. The USDA seal means it's food quality organic and completely free of everything. Other than that, European co's use the Eco-CERT seal (meaning Natural, not Organic) however, this is not a government agency so who really knows what goes on....

Makeup, Bare Escentials is ok, however, NOT their skincare line. Not the same as Bare Minerals or other mineral makeup either.

There are lots of websites out there that are all run by independent groups and if you read enough of them we wouldn't be able to use anything on ourselves!

Aveda, Origins...yes we are both plant-based but not all-natural (neither is anyone else I'd like to point out) in the Prestige brand world. The difference between us and co like MAC, clinique, etc., is that the preservatives are not your typical cosmetic co preservatives. We both use food-preservatives. This means if you eat boxed foods like cereal or Mac and Cheese, frozen foods, like Lean Cuisine that are not all-natural, you already consume these.

Origins uses wind energy in all of our corporate offices, stores, and manufacturing facilities, we use recycled packaging, papertowels, and non-chemical cleaning supplies. We also offer FREE FACIALS and makeup!

I've Bridal party makeup every Saturday for the last 6 weeks on the day of their weddings and all for FREE!! There's nothing better than doing a brides makeup on her wedding day and helping to bring out her natural beauty!

Hope this helps!
Good to know! Especially interested in those free facials and makeup!

On Sunday I went for the best facial EVER!!! I went to pure and simple Pure + simple in Toronto...they use all natural products and they are so gentle.

I needed a new moisturizure and face wash and they recommended a line called Naturopathica, I'm using Chamomile Cleansing Cream and Calendula Essential Hydrating Cream so far I'm loving the products

If you go on their website they give you all the products they use and all the ingredients that are in them

http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/brow...ducts&start=20

This site has really inspired me to switch brands. The Kinerase Moisturizer I use right now is a 5 on a scale of 0-10. The SkinMedica Retinol Complex I have been considering buying is a 4.

Hmmm, I dunno though - this site also says that Dr.Hauschka's products range as high as a 7...

This is really confusing!!!

Love this thread!!

And it is funny that so many of you are Geminis....I'm a Taurus though and I have the exact same problem so not sure what that's about! I finally moved some of my products into the guest bathroom 'cause I was running out of room! lol!

Anyway, I've personally never been able to get the results I need/want from natural hair care products...so I'm still on the chemical train with those. I'm a Frederic Fekkai girl right now and it's working for me. But I may give the natural products another shot sometime soon since it's been a couple years since I've tried them...I'm sure there have been advancements since then. I've used a conditioner from Phyto that I really liked...so that may be my next haircare adventure.

For skincare and stuff I've used a lot of different things. I actually HAVE used some samples from Boscia before and really liked them. I am considering buying some when I run out of the stuff I'm using now. My friend Monica is using this right now:

Sephora: Boscia Antioxidant Recovery Treatment C: Age Control

This is what she says about it:

OH! I totally have been meaning to tell you about this product sample I got from Sephora. I’ll send you the link to it. This stuff is SERIOUSLY amazing. It helps to clear up pimples AND reduce the signs of sun damage and aging. I haven’t seen my complexion look this good in a LONG while. It’s really great!

So yeah, that's on my list! lol! I've also used Alba before and really liked it. And I do use a fair amount of Body Shop products so I'm happy to hear they'll be paraben free soon!

Sephora has a good selection of natural and/or organic products. And they're GREAT about giving out samples....so definitely hit them up if there's a product you're interested in.

Fragrance, Cosmetics & the Finest Facial Skin Care Product Selection at Sephora.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelle E. View Post
Love this thread!!

For skincare and stuff I've used a lot of different things. I actually HAVE used some samples from Boscia before and really liked them. I am considering buying some when I run out of the stuff I'm using now. My friend Monica is using this right now:
Sephora: Boscia Antioxidant Recovery Treatment C: Age Control
This is what she says about it:
OH! I totally have been meaning to tell you about this product sample I got from Sephora. I’ll send you the link to it. This stuff is SERIOUSLY amazing. It helps to clear up pimples AND reduce the signs of sun damage and aging. I haven’t seen my complexion look this good in a LONG while. It’s really great!

Sephora has a good selection of natural and/or organic products. And they're GREAT about giving out samples....so definitely hit them up if there's a product you're interested in.

Fragrance, Cosmetics & the Finest Facial Skin Care Product Selection at Sephora.com
Funny you mention this because I just spent two hours in Sephora! LOL I bought Boscia's Clear Complexion Cleanser with Botanical Blast ($22). A gay guy walking by shouted "Love it!" so I guess that's a good sign, lol. I also got sample's of Bocia's Clear Complexion Tonic with Botanical Blast and the Clear Complexion Treatment with Botanical Blast. I meant to get a sample of their oil free spf moisturizer but didn't.

My Clairisonic Skin Care Brush is coming in the mail tomorrow and I'm so excited to use it with the Boscia facial cleanser!

I also shopped around for different makeup because the Bare Minerals is a little too shiny for me. I actually ended up purchasing Clinique's City Block Sheer (Oil free "daily face protector" with 25 SPF) and Clinique's Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder (oil free). However, they still have a lot of junk in them so I think I am going to return them and just stick with Bare Minerals for daytime use. (Hopefully with all these new oil free products I'm using the BM won't be quite as shiny...) I will probably break down and buy some foundation with better coverage for night time/photos but will probably go with a brand like MAC.

I am still torn with the SkinMedica Retinol Complex that I like so much. I think it rated a "4" on that site - not too bad... but I know a brand like Boscia would probably be better. Rachelle I think I will give that other Boscia product that your friend is raving about a try. Couldn't hurt... (famous last words, right? cheesy.gif)

At least I've switched my face soap to an all natural brand. One step at a time :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeLynne View Post
http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/brow...ducts&start=20
This site has really inspired me to switch brands. The Kinerase Moisturizer I use right now is a 5 on a scale of 0-10. The SkinMedica Retinol Complex I have been considering buying is a 4.

Hmmm, I dunno though - this site also says that Dr.Hauschka's products range as high as a 7...

This is really confusing!!!
That's a great link, thanks!

I'm off to check out this Boscia stuff you and Rachelle speak of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
That's a great link, thanks!

I'm off to check out this Boscia stuff you and Rachelle speak of.
Jamy, here's a link to a good site if you want to order products online. They have free shipping and tons of great reviews on the products from customers. (I just don't recommend purchasing popular items during their big sales, grumble grumble...) Anyways, here it is: SkinStore.com (link to the Boscia products)
https://www.skinstore.com/store/category.asp?CatID=9325

Overall, I'd say the Boscia brand is a great compromise money wise between pharmacy/drug store and hoity toity ($$$) skin care lines