Same Sex Marriage Became Legal In CA today...

FYB87

I am going to tell my stepdaughter that the fight is not over.

She is going to be heartbroken to find out that it passed. As parents, we need to assure them that we can make a difference, but it takes time. That as humans we all make mistakes and hopefully the ones that voted Yes will see the light and vote No next time.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like an exit poll of how many people voted wrong, like thought that they were voting FOR same sex marriage to stay legal, by voting YES. those ones are always so confusing, and there are so many ignorant voters who never even open their voters pamphlet (sp?) or do any research whatsoever before voting.

i wish before they decided to call the vote, they would make a new special vote for people who got mixed up, so they could say "wait! i messed up!". it would be really interesting to find out, especially because it was so close.

You know Abbie- women didn't earn the right to vote over night. Many women fought this battle for decades. The same for the Civil Rights Movement. Little by little we can make an impact and hopefully those beautiful children you and Yari are raising will find that they too can rise above the "law." It's not always right.

I think the best thing that we can learn from this is to teach our children and future generations about acceptance and tolerance and to love everyone in this world equally. I know it sounds like a "hippy" way of thinking...but i dont know where our world learned to judge everyone so freely and unfairly. Children definately are the future of the world so we just need to make sure they learn acceptance and love :)

well said Mo

here is a snippet from msnbc.com California voters ban gay marriage - Decision ’08 – ballot initiatives

Quote:
It also represents a personal loss for the thousands of couples from California and others states who got married in the brief window when they could. Legal experts said courts will have to resolve whether their unions still are valid.
it looks like all the couples will no longer be married.

I think one of these couples needs to start putting together a case and take it to the supreme court since marriage is a religous term and by defining a religious ideal the state is violating the first amendment to the USC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA Maureen View Post
I am Catholic and believe in the sanctity of marriage as well but there is a difference between legal rights and religious beliefs. I believe gay couples should enjoy the same legal rights as heterosexual couples. However, I also understand that there will not be homosexual marriages anytime soon in my Church and I think that is the Church's right, but who are we to say they can't enjoy the same legal privileges?
I completely agree. I think understanding the difference between legal rights and religious beliefs is where this all went wrong. Prop 8 was not asking churches to embrace and marry homosexual couples. It was about giving everyone the same rights.

I definately agree with you Christine!i am already so upset and disgusted that this was turned down by so many Californians but if they dont allow the marriages that already happened to stay valid than definately these couples should legally go after who ever is responsible for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
i would like an exit poll of how many people voted wrong, like thought that they were voting FOR same sex marriage to stay legal, by voting YES. those ones are always so confusing, and there are so many ignorant voters who never even open their voters pamphlet (sp?) or do any research whatsoever before voting.

i wish before they decided to call the vote, they would make a new special vote for people who got mixed up, so they could say "wait! i messed up!". it would be really interesting to find out, especially because it was so close.
Know what? One of my co-workers was beside herself with guilt today because she voted yes on 8 thinking it meant "yes, gay marriage should be legal". Her fault for not reading or paying attention, but it was a wrong vote. I'd be willing to bet some of those yes votes were wrong...but then perhaps some of the no votes were wrong too....who knows

Also, I read a few hours ago that there are still a few million votes not counted from mailed-in ballots...if they voted the right way it may change things.

In any case I am so upset with my people...and we are the liberal state? This is scary.

so jamy, or anyone, what happens when they "call" a vote decision, but then the numbers change when the absentee ballots roll in? does the call change? how do they make the final, binding call?