Same Sex Marriage Became Legal In CA today...

FYB87

lol thats quite ridiculous that people are more worried about protecting chickens than giving all humans the rights that they should have...the right of marriage should not be a privilege that can be held over peoples heads....it is a right that everyone should have because we are all capable of loving someone no matter what gender they are!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I thought this was for a CA constitutional amendment, and if it was an amendment is the only way for the CA supreme court decision to be over-ridden
Yes - you are right - the Prop 8 was a constitutional amendment, which is the only way the CA Supreme Court decision can be overcome. The CA Supreme Court has to rule based on the constitution, and if an amendment is part of the constitution, then the court must follow it.

My understanding is that the actual process of the amendment and its placement on the ballot to begin with are under attack in the courts. What I meant to convey is that the CA Supreme Court already refused to hear a case on this very issue (the placement of this Prop 8 on the ballot), so I don't think they will take what essentially is the same issue on now that the voting is over. Frankly, that is probably the only way that this amendment can be attacked - to find fault with the process, not the substance of the law itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Rachel View Post
Christine- I understand your sentiments. I am completely disappointed in the people of Ca.

For those that do use religion as their guide in voting for Prop 8, I would like to know why we pick and choose which of God's words we want to live by. Why aren't all of the Ten Commandments law? Why not make adultery illegal? Why allow those to worship other Gods? Why not enforce the day of Sabbath and make it illegal to work on Sundays?

I know this seems a little extreme, but I think making it a law that marriage is only between a man and woman is very extreme. That's the only point I'm hoping to make. If you use God's words as the reason for why it's right to enforce laws that forbid gay marriage, then I just want to know why we can pick and choose which of God's words we live by.
BRAVO Rachel. I have been trying to say the same thing to people, but you said it beautifully!

Luvtoteachlaw, thanks for the detailed info. Is it possible that CA may set a precedent by successfully correlating this issue to a 1st Amendment violation? (not holding my breath, just wondering)

Michelle, I read everything but as someone said, sometimes your own points don't get a response...it's happened to me as well, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I think prop 2 (the chicken prop) was also very important & I'm very happy to see it passed.
We are happy about this too, it just seems ridiculous (imo) that so many Californians are for the fair treatment of animals, but remain opposed to the fair treatment of humans. If I had to choose one over the other, it wouldn't be the chickens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I think prop 2 (the chicken prop) was also very important & I'm very happy to see it passed.
Morgan, I think it is important too. I'm sorry it came out the way it did however, I think civil rights are much more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl1115 View Post
BRAVO Rachel. I have been trying to say the same thing to people, but you said it beautifully!
Thanks. I would really like to know the answer though from someone. I didn't just mean it a logical or hypothetical way. I was just hoping to understand that mind frame. I'm a Christian too, but I just can't wrap my brain around the picking and choosing of which of God's words we want to make law. If I'm going to get irrational and place my beliefs on others, I'd like to see adultery become illegal. It's not hard to get a divorce and move on! Now how's that for saving the sanctity of marriage.

Michelle- didn't mean to ignore you either. I read what you wrote and completely agreed with you. I didn't have anything valid to add other than a "ditto" but I'm too lazy to quote people.