Ladies~ Help me with my homework

KLC77

So, I'm looking for some help. For my summer course, we are writing a research paper on any topic and I chose Wedding Traditions. I'm exploring their history, but also what they mean to brides today. So, if you wouldn't mind. Could you tell me what the following "traditions" mean to you and why you are including them in your wedding (or if you are not including them)? Thanks in advance!

Kelly smile03.gif

BTW- my teacher love the idea of "interviewing" you guys to see what you say.

Here they are:

1. The White Wedding Dress

2. Wedding Rings

3. The Bridal Party

4. Your father giving you away

5. An over-the-face veil (blusher)

cool assignment! i am sure you will get a lot of different feedback - i am interested in the final paper - will you share with us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC77 View Post

Here they are:

well, my dress is Ivory but to me it's pretty much the same as White. there is something clean and fresh about it that feels to me like a new start. plus you stand out and look like a 'bride'

2. Wedding Rings

very important to me and my FI- he even wears an e-ring now (just a plain band) we never take them off until we go to sleep at night and put them right back on in the AM. symbolic of our committment to each other and the marriage. a way of letting society know you are 'taken'

3. The Bridal Party

to me, the bridal party is all about the people who most 'have your back' and have been there for all the other happy and sad times standing up with you in unity as you and your FI form a new community and family together.

not doing this - i don't feel like a need to be given from one man to another - i think this is a hold-over from really traditional church weddings. it makes me think of women as cattle

not doing this although in my tradition (Jewish) this is a MUST for a traditional ceremony, nobody is supposed to see the Bride's face until her parents lift the blusher and 'present' her to the groom. yeah, not for me

cool assignment - when is your deadline? i'd like to help but i cant have my window maximized at work right now and id like to write you a very thoughtful response because we are incorporating a lot of traditions into our wedding, especially the mixing of traditions of american and mexican.

All right, chica, here goes:

1. The White Wedding Dress: mine is "light gold." But it's off-white. I thought I'd always wear a white gown but when I tried mine on in the store, that was it. I also feel better wearing it since I'm not exactly a VIRGIN. LOL. Just messin! LOL. But seriously, I am very glad I chose the color I did.

2. Wedding Rings: I love the idea of rings as a symbol of your love and vows.

3. The Bridal Party: I am for it. My FI is Portuguese and says this is not big there so he is learning a lot about traditions. He had never even heard of 'something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue."

4. Your father giving you away: My dad is SO giving me away. :) I'm excited for that.

5. An over-the-face veil (blusher): Not doing an over-the-face (the Caribbean is HOT!) but I am doing a veil on the back of my hair/top of my head! :)

Quote:

My responses I can guarantee won't be the norm but you can certainly have my thoughts lol

I was always led to believe the white dress was to signify purity. I'm 35 (will be 36 when married) I've been married before and don't have a pure bone in my body (thank god!) so i'm getting married in black because I love the colour and no other reason. Possibly a little bit of sticking my fingers up at the FMIL in there 2 lmao

2. Wedding Rings

Wedding ring is a symbol that you've committed to someone. Its taken me a while to persuade FI he is having one but he has finally given in lol I think thats probably the most important thing for me out of the whole thing.

3. The Bridal Party

Not important to me and so I'm not having one but again I think its each to their own.

My father isn't giving me away as he lives on the otherside of the world and even if he could make it he probably wouldn't do it - his reasoning is I'll always be his and he is not giving me away no matter what lol kinda of lovely to know lol I'm having my friend's hubby give me away but i'm only doing it to stop the grief I will get from FMIL!! as she will want me to use her new hubby and I'm not doing it under no circumstances lol

Definitely not wearing a veil - he's known me for 6 years and he knows what I look like no point in hiding my ugly mug
Hope this helps

Before my planning process, I always had "white" in my head. When it came down to finding "the one", it was Ivory. I have a different opinion now on the white dress. Whatever You like, whatever you feel comfortable in, and if you feel like a bride..it doesn't matter what color you are in.

2. Wedding Rings

Wedding rings to me are very important. They symbolize our unity and commitment to each other. I was given my grandmother's wedding ring not too long ago, and although it's a plain platinum band, it's beautiful because it reminds me of the great love she had with my grandpa. I would love for my rings be in the future of my children, grandchildren and so on.

3. The Bridal Party

Bridal parties are your cheerleaders for the day. They're supposed to remember the little stuff..that you are too busy to pay attention to.

My father and I have a rocky relationship. I still believe in this tradition though. You only have one father..no matter how you look at it.

This to me is just fashion.

I'd love to help!

Quote:
So, I'm looking for some help. For my summer course, we are writing a research paper on any topic and I chose Wedding Traditions. I'm exploring their history, but also what they mean to brides today. So, if you wouldn't mind. Could you tell me what the following "traditions" mean to you and why you are including them in your wedding (or if you are not including them)? Thanks in advance!

Kelly smile03.gif

BTW- my teacher love the idea of "interviewing" you guys to see what you say.

Here they are:

I'm one of the few people out there that believes sex belongs only within a marriage, so I am a virgin bride. I am definitely wearing a white wedding dress because I am proud that I have been able to save myself for my FH.

2. Wedding Rings

I like the connection that the wedding rings give a couple. You have this special symbol that was exchanged on your wedding day and I can't wait to wear it! Whenever I look at my e-ring, I think of what FI said to me when he proposed. I'm hoping that every time I look at my wedding ring, I will think of our vows.

3. The Bridal Party

We're undecided on this one. We know who our bridal party would be, but we're not sure if we're officially having one. Because we will have no more than 40 people in St Lucia, it'd seem kind of silly to have a bunch of people standing up with us (we really could not have any less than 10 people). I want to acknowledge my two best friends, 2 SILs, and FSIL in some way, but I'm not sure how to. We're definitely having a FG and a RB, but that's only because my niece and nephew will be the perfect age for it.

I'm definitely doing this. I think it says that my dad is confident in FI to take care of me and believes in my decision to become his wife. I'm just having my dad give me away though, not my mom. It's nothing against my mom, but I like the dominant male figure in my live stepping down and letting another man step in.

I hope that doesn't sound like them ruling my life or something! It's not meant to be taken that way!

I will not have anything covering my face. The only reason I'm wearing a veil at all is just because I think it completes the bridal look.

If you need any clarification, just let me know!

Quote:
2. Wedding Rings
3. The Bridal Party
i love when members use us as case studies wink.gif

1- obviously this originally is meant to convey virginity and pureness, but to me, it's about what color looked better on me, and it wasn't white. not a one of my "religious" side of the family has said a word about my ivory dress not being white wink.gif
2- i see the rings as symbolizing a neverending circle, an unending love for each other, and i love this idea.
3- to me the bridal party is a way to honor very important people in your life. altho i ended up going non-traditional with this by having all kids (ok except 2 adults) under the age of 15 be our GM & BM (dougs 2 kids and all his nieces and nephews)
4- altho i am having my dad walk me down the aisle, its kind of we're just doing it because thats what people expect. we werent close while i was growing up, but the older i get the more we appreciate each other.
5- i hate this kind of veil. to me the veil just completes the look, not hides a blushing virgin bride wink.gif so mine is short and sweet, and 1 layer in the back, not over my face.

I don't believe in that whole "purity" of the white dress business but have always like the tadition of having a white dress. Plus I think it looks better on me than Ivory.

2. Wedding Rings

Wedding rings are important. I have to agree with everyone else in a sense that they do symbolize our unity and commitment to one another. But I also like the idea of not having actual rings, for instance having a tattoo ring is a great idea to show your commitment.

3. The Bridal Party

This isn't very important to me. Esp with having a DW, we didn't feel right to put someone in this position. It's a big role not matter where the wedding takes place but it's so much more to ask someone to travel so far. I didn't want anyone to feel obligated and I didn't want it to be a financial burden on anyone. And now that we are getting closer to our date a lot of people who said they were coming wont be able to make it after all, which is fine but at the same time I'm glad we chose not to do a bridal party.

Not important to me personally. Unfortuantly I am not very close to my father & there has been a lot of family drama esp within this past year. He will be at the wedding but it doesn't feel right for him to "give me away" so I will walk down the isle with my husband to be.

Not for me and def not in caribbean! I like the idea of having a tiara though!

while I don't go along with the whole white=purity thing, I just love the look of white and all shades of white dresses. They look so elegant.

2. Wedding Rings

I have to agree with most of what is posted here, the rings are symbols of the marriage, and there was never any question about having them as part of our ceremony.

3. The Bridal Party

I've always believed it was important to have one or two people standing with you on your wedding day, but no more than that. I had two ladies standing for me, and my husband had his two brothers serve as his best men, and it was perfect. We also had a flower girl, but no ring bearer. I've always been secretly terrified every time I saw a ring bearer carrying the rings down the aisle, thinking "what if he drops the rings?" Yes, I realize they are usually tied to a pillow or in a box, but crazy things happen.

I never wanted to have my father walk me down the aisle and give me away, I'm not his property to give. But to avoid any conflict on the wedding day, I ended up having both my parents walk me down the aisle. I'm embarassed to say I don't remember if the "giving away of the bride" was even in the ceremony, the whole thing went by so fast, and I was too busy focusing on not crying.

While I do like the look of the veil at the back of the head, I've never thought much of the over the face veil. Just wasn't my style. I didn't wear any type of veil on the wedding day and to be honest, it wasn't missed. The wind would have blown it all over the place, and I'm not sure it would have really worked with the way my hair turned out. But I do love how elegant the veil looks, and it is always the first thing (along with the dress) that comes to mind when I hear the word "bride"