273 replies to this topic

#191 tvt

tvt
  • VIP Member
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:23 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TA Jill

So tonight we decided to make tacos, our daughter was home (she's been at her grandmothers & aunt & uncles practically the whole summer) I started looking up fat grams on the stuff in the tacos and almost passed out!!

Now normally I would have just said screw it, I'm eating tacos tonight, but the thought of oil in the toilet was enough to sustain me. Instead I made a big salad and literally, sprinkled bits of the taco meat on my salad, tiny sprinkle of cheese, and a couple teaspoons of sour cream. I'm not exactly sure on the fat content, but I know I hardly had anything with fat, so I'll be fine. I'm very proud of myself for staying strong!

Dang it. I literally just emailed FI to say "I'm hungry for tacos". But good for you for sticking with it!!

I have to say, I am a little dissapointed that I have not seen any decrease in the number on the scale. I know it's only been 4 days, but I was kind of expecting to see something, even if it was small.

#192 *JillD*

*JillD*
    • 5,112 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by tvt
      Dang it. I literally just emailed FI to say "I'm hungry for tacos". But good for you for sticking with it!!

I have to say, I am a little dissapointed that I have not seen any decrease in the number on the scale. I know it's only been 4 days, but I was kind of expecting to see something, even if it was small.
      Tara, try not to weigh yourself too often, I find that I tend to get discouraged when I weigh myself more than once a week and I end up eating something I shouldn't. I've just been weighing myself on Monday and am trying really hard to stick to that.

God, I was dying when they were eating their tacos, all loaded up with meat and sour cream, I wanted one so bad, just one, but I knew I'd be paying later. At least having the salad gave me a little taste of tacos even though it was more salad than anything, but it had the flavor, so I think it killed the craving at least.

#193 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 5,752 posts
      • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

tara - i did not see results until the end of the first 7 days

both tara and jill - you CAN eat tacos - just not the americanized tacos you guys probably eat. (we call these gringo tacos in our house, and they are not allowed haha)

let me give you a SUPER simple recipe for healthy and authentic mexican tacos. i am making this tonight!

this feeds two people.

about one pound (sometimes i buy 1.25 pounds if im hungry) of the LEANEST skirt steak you can find. do not let the butcher pass it through the machine, you do not want it tenderized. (if you speak spanish and go to a mexican grocer/butcher, ask for arrachera)

you'll also need fresh corn tortillas - something packaged in paper rather than plastic is preferable FYI, the plastic changes the taste and also can cause nasty condensation. its important to use corn tortillas and not flour ones.

you may want to slightly salt the meat a little - just sprinkle the salt over (just a little bit!) and rub it in. cut up the meat so that the strips area about the size of the width of your hand (or a little smaller if you have large hands). that will be enough meat for 1-2 tacos depending how much meat you like in them. you should get at least 8 strips out of a pound. (so 4 tacos per person) grill the meat just a few minutes per side, it's best if it's medium to medium rare.

then just cut each strip into a few smaller strips. and place inside a taco.

if you MUST have sour cream, only use fat free. you can add lettuce, chopped tomato, a SPRINKLE of cheese (i recommend chihuahua cheese if you are seriously going to put cheese on it but i personally think cheese on this kind of taco bastardizes it)

i personally only like to eat these with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and salsa.

my DH would KILL me if he found out i was about to give away our secret recipe for salsa.... but here goes.

WARNING YOU IN ADVANCE, THIS IS HOT SALSA - it is NOT for weaklings!

you will need about a pound of the SMALL tomatillos (little green tomatoes that you find in the grocery store with the husks still on)

1 slice of yellow or white onion, about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch thick

1 clove of garlic

a teaspoon of salt

dried morita chiles (if you find larger ones, you probably only need 2. if they are small, you may need as many as 5 or 6)

you will also need a blender to make the salsa.

directions:
      tear the husk off the tomatillos and wash them. heat a skillet and place the tomatoes inside - you want to blister cook them until the tomato starts to get transparent. when they are blister cooked on all sides and start to look like they're getting transparent, transfer them directly to the blender. if they start to pop and leak, transfer them right away. you dont really want them to pop and leak, but its not a big deal if they do.

then place the dried morita chiles in the skillet (if they still have a stem on top, tear off and throw away) - they will start to inflate. make sure you heat both sides, but you dont want to burn them. they literally only need to be in the skillet for a total of about 1 min. throw those in the blender on top of the tomatillos.

cut the onion slice (it seriously only needs one slice) and toss it in the blender too. peel the garlic clove and toss that in the blender. sprinkle the salt over the top of everything.

then seal up the blender and puree away! you want the salsa to turn a consistent red color and that is how you know it is done blending. all the tomatillos should be totally liquidized. you will see a lot of little white/yellowish seeds, those are from the chiles. if it seems too thick, add just a little bit of water. pour the contents of the blender into a resealable tupperware or like container. this salsa will keep in the fridge for 3-4 weeks.

holler with questions!

#194 tvt

tvt
      • VIP Member
      • 4,812 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

this thread is quickly turning into my favorite one out there! New recipies, good feedback, and lots of support!

I will try and top weighing my self so much, but I've been doing it everyday for so long that it's kind of habit. Maybe 2 a week would work.

Maura, I'm almost glad to know you didn't see results in the first week - that's so bad! But here I was thinking it wasn't working at all, and maybe it is and I just don't know it yet. But I do feel better.

Went horse back riding today, and was so nervous that this would be the time I'd get some crazy urge and need to haul ass to the bathroom, all the while I'm in the middle of the desert. I told you! It's so mental for me! Nothing happened, but leave it to me to worry about it!

I also bought a digital food scale last night. SOOO much easier to figure out correct portions now!

#195 JBinjour

JBinjour
        • 107 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:55 PM

I made this the other night for the hubby and I. I used the weight watchers whole wheat pita bread. There were only 1 gram of fat each. I also used olive oil spray. It had 0 gram of fat. So, I sprayed each side of the pita with it to make it crunchy. I chopped up fresh garlic and mixed it with the pizza sauce. It turned out really tasty...YUM!!!

servings per recipe: 1
          fat per serving: 9g
          calories per serving: 310
          Ingredients

1 pita, white, 6 1/2 inches
          1/2 teaspoon olive oil, extra virgin
          3 tablespoons pizza sauce
          1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, part-skim
          2 tablespoons tomato, chopped
          1 tablespoon onion, white, chopped
          2 tablespoons basil, fresh, chopped
          Preparation

preheat oven to 425 degrees F
          lightly coat pita with olive oil
          evenly spread pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese over pita
          top with chopped or sliced tomato and chopped onion
          sprinkle basil over pizza
          place pita pizza directly on oven rack and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted
          "Love is like swallowing hot chocolate before it has cooled off. It takes you by surprise at first, but keeps you warm for a long time.'' ~Unknown

http://ticker.7910.o....JpZWQgZm9y.gif
          http://tickers.Ticke....7aa9/event.png
          http://da.daisypath.com/FBj8m4/.png

#196 *JillD*

*JillD*
          • 5,112 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by tvt
            this thread is quickly turning into my favorite one out there! New recipies, good feedback, and lots of support!

I will try and top weighing my self so much, but I've been doing it everyday for so long that it's kind of habit. Maybe 2 a week would work.

Maura, I'm almost glad to know you didn't see results in the first week - that's so bad! But here I was thinking it wasn't working at all, and maybe it is and I just don't know it yet. But I do feel better.

Went horse back riding today, and was so nervous that this would be the time I'd get some crazy urge and need to haul ass to the bathroom, all the while I'm in the middle of the desert. I told you! It's so mental for me! Nothing happened, but leave it to me to worry about it!

I also bought a digital food scale last night. SOOO much easier to figure out correct portions now!
            I know, I love this thread! I need a digital food scale too, I have to remember next time I go to the store.

I've noticed that usually within 15-20 minutes after I eat, if I'm going to have to go, that's when it is, after that I'm usually good until the next meal.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by JBinjour
            I made this the other night for the hubby and I. I used the weight watchers whole wheat pita bread. There were only 1 gram of fat each. I also used olive oil spray. It had 0 gram of fat. So, I sprayed each side of the pita with it to make it crunchy. I chopped up fresh garlic and mixed it with the pizza sauce. It turned out really tasty...YUM!!!

servings per recipe: 1
            fat per serving: 9g
            calories per serving: 310
            Ingredients

1 pita, white, 6 1/2 inches
            1/2 teaspoon olive oil, extra virgin
            3 tablespoons pizza sauce
            1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, part-skim
            2 tablespoons tomato, chopped
            1 tablespoon onion, white, chopped
            2 tablespoons basil, fresh, chopped
            Preparation

preheat oven to 425 degrees F
            lightly coat pita with olive oil
            evenly spread pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese over pita
            top with chopped or sliced tomato and chopped onion
            sprinkle basil over pizza
            place pita pizza directly on oven rack and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted
            that sounds good I'll have to try it!

I'm going to try to check out the alli site more tonight if I have time. I really need some new recipes.

One of the problems I've been having is that Hailey has been away a lot and DH doesn't always eat dinner or he wants to eat something I can't eat. So I don't really make a lot of real meals because it's usually just me. Sometimes I eat lean cuisines or smart ones, boca burgers, sometimes I'll cook some wheat pasta with something, I also have the individual chicken breasts, which I'm eating tonight w/something not sure what. Its just really hard to cook a meal for just me!

But I'm still going to check out the recipes tonight and maybe at least I'll have leftovers for another meal if it makes a few servings.

#197 tvt

tvt
            • VIP Member
            • 4,812 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:57 PM

it is kind of hard to live with someone who wants to eat different, i totally agree.

on the alli site, the good thing is that their recipies are all for 1 serving. That chicken, cheese caserole i posted is REALLY easy to make. When FI goes out of town or doesn't want what I can have, I usually make this. I usually make extra of the potato stuff, so then all i have to do is throw a chicken in the oven.

are you girls working out too?

#198 Sandra E.

Sandra E.
              • 2,183 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:01 AM

For those of you that are doing Alli, I saw this on amazon.com:

Amazon.com: Alli Weight-Loss - Health & Personal Care: Health & Personal Care

#199 tvt

tvt
                • VIP Member
                • 4,812 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

Ok girls, aside from weight loss, how do I know that Alli is working? Haven't had any weight loss yet, however it's only been a week and I know it can take a few to see results.

I have not had a single side effect. Nothing is out of the normal for me... if you catch my drift. I wish there was some way to know if it was working.

#200 1elephant

1elephant
                  • VIP Member
                  • 15,998 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:16 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by tvt
                    Ok girls, aside from weight loss, how do I know that Alli is working? Haven't had any weight loss yet, however it's only been a week and I know it can take a few to see results.

I have not had a single side effect. Nothing is out of the normal for me... if you catch my drift. I wish there was some way to know if it was working.
                    lol, go to the nearest mcdonalds. you'll find out shortly after eating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users