I need your help finding a great dress for my body type

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Amy&Andy

Amy&Andy
  • VIP Member
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:28 PM

Good for you! weights and cardio combo will whip ya right into shape! I have faith you will definitely work hard and feel amazing in your dress :) Good luck!

#42 beachbride08

beachbride08
    • VIP Member
    • 2,372 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:02 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Shay2679
      First off, thank you...again. Your posts...for some reason...always relate to me or make me laugh...or in this case...make me feel a little better.

Unfortunately I'm not near to a David's Bridal (at least I don't think they have them in Canada)...but I'm hoping my local boutiques will be able to help me. I was just hoping to go better..."equipped"...with knowledge (and guts) about what would look good, and what I should just stay away from.

Thank you for your motivation...it always helps to be reminded...I'm not the only one! My first appointment is July 7. Fingers crossed.
      That is awesome that you lost 60 lbs! As for my dress advice, as Rachel said find a dress shop that carries sample dresses in larger sizes. For me it was House of Brides, but I don't think they have those in Canada either so I'm not much help there. The first place I went to was a miserable experience because everything they had was a size 2. I didn't want a poufy dress either, but all the more fitted ones I couldn't fit in to try on. I tried on all different types of styles and ended up buying a fuller dress, but am having it altered to take out some of the pouf and get the style I want. Plan to spend a couple hours and just try on everything - even dresses you don't think you will like - because you never know how it will look on you.
      Michelle

#43 tvt

tvt
      • VIP Member
      • 4,812 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:15 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by beachbride08
        even dresses you don't think you will like - because you never know how it will look on you.

That is sooo true! I swear it's kinda backwards with wedding dresses. The really pretty ones hanging up, are not cute on. And the so so/ify ones hanging up, are the ones that end up beautiful on. Bizzare.

#44 Shay2679

Shay2679
        • 493 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

Just wanted to give a "progress report"...

I started out with 5lbs and last night...I upgraded to 10 pounds for arm exercises. I'm a little tender today, but man, I'm feeling really good. I don't notice any changes...yet...but I mean, its only been like a week or so with a "program", so...

I was just bored, and wanted to let you all know, I'm doing it!!!

Two weeks until first dress trial...dun dun. :S

#45 jajajaja

jajajaja
          • VIP Member
          • 9,794 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

Keep it up Shannon! It's great how motivated you are. That's my problem- I want to lose weight but I must not want it bad enough to get my ass off the couch. Keep us updated. We are a great bunch of cheerleaders!
            Happily married since 2008

#46 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
            • VIP Member
            • 3,160 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

good for you!!!

#47 kellywinter1

kellywinter1
              • 305 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:01 PM

I'm a little late on this but CONGRATS SHANNON!!!!! I am so proud of you for loosing all that weight! I lost 50 lbs last year so I know how hard it is to loose weight! Unfortunately I gained 30lbs of it back. But I am getting back into a work out routine and eating better so my goal is to loose 40lbs before the wedding! Any way I totally understand how you feel about wearing a dress that will flatter your figure. I am not looking forward to trying on dresses right now either, but I think it will motivate me to work out harder to look the best I can. I think whatever you decide no one will notice any flaws, but rather how beautiful you are on your wedding day! I can't wait to hear about your progress and see you in your dress!

PS Tanning does make you look tonner! I tan just for that reason!

#48 BlissfulMsMiranda

BlissfulMsMiranda
                • 512 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:31 PM

I know I'm new to all of this but I have to chime in for a fellow Montreal bride!!!!

CONGRATS on the weight loss. That's amazing!!! It's freaking tough (I've dropped close to 40lbs over the past few years with a nutritionist/yoga/running) but you've obviously got the will power to do it. :) If it's your arms that concern you the most then I suggest Yoga ... honestly, I've never seen such definition in my arms and it's also a GREAT workout and even relaxing with all the wedding stress!!

I'll admit I didn't read this entire thread (sorry) and I'm wondering if you've gone to any wedding dress shops that aren't on St. Hubert street (I HATE that street!!)??

Good luck with the dress trial ... I think it will go MUCH better then you anticipate. :) Once you get into it and realize how gorgeous you can look in those white gowns all your self-doubt will melt away.

#49 Shay2679

Shay2679
                  • 493 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:56 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by BlissfulMsMiranda
                    I know I'm new to all of this but I have to chime in for a fellow Montreal bride!!!!
                    Hooray!! A fellow Montrealer!!
                    CONGRATS on the weight loss. That's amazing!!! It's freaking tough (I've dropped close to 40lbs over the past few years with a nutritionist/yoga/running) but you've obviously got the will power to do it. :) If it's your arms that concern you the most then I suggest Yoga ... honestly, I've never seen such definition in my arms and it's also a GREAT workout and even relaxing with all the wedding stress!!
                    I'm currently just doing weights (10 lbs each arm) with a set of about 6 different exercises, doing pushups (triceps and shoulder/back) and basic pilates core stuff. Do you recommend a yoga DVD that I could try at home?

Quote:
                    I'll admit I didn't read this entire thread (sorry) and I'm wondering if you've gone to any wedding dress shops that aren't on St. Hubert street (I HATE that street!!)??
                    I haven't actually had a dress appointment yet. My mom arrives on Friday, and she and I will be going to "Ouijelevoeux" on St. Hubert for my first ... trial ... on the 7th. I imagine we'll just look down the strip before/after that appointment...

My second appointment however, on the 10th, is at Bella di Sera on Blvd. St. Laurent (across from the Jean Talon Market). I think I'm most nervous about this appointment, as the salon has THE dress I'm most interested in...but I fear, from things I have heard, that I will probably go there...and not be able to try much on due to the limited size samples they will have. I'm a full figured girl you know!

Quote:
                    Good luck with the dress trial ... I think it will go MUCH better then you anticipate. :) Once you get into it and realize how gorgeous you can look in those white gowns all your self-doubt will melt away.
                    I'm nervous...but trying to keep an open mind. I've shrunk my flabulous arms about a 1/2 inch on each upper...so...its progress. I know the original dress I posted, I can add the 3/4 sleeve in the matching overlay lace...for about $80...and...I'm hoping at ONE of the appointments, at least, I am able to get a better idea of what will actually look good on me. Hopefully...something will!

Congrats to you as well on your success. Here's to more of it..for both of us!

I'll be in touch!

#50 portugirl8

portugirl8
                    • 38 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

I really like your first pick. You can apply some makeup and shimmer to your arms to create the illusion of definition. Similar to how celebrities paint abs when they wear two piece bikini's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users