Brides without travel agent?

Anyone planning your ROR wedding without a travel agent - or am I the only one? I haven't yet heard from ROR to discuss details and understood that most arrangements could be made 1-2 months prior to the date when ROR would make the first contact. How are all the ROR brides making early arrangements?

THANKS!

Kelly

I didn't use a travel agent either, i just couldn't justify the extra cost.

Don't count on ROR initiating contact with you. You need to contact them and ask very specific questions and be detailed in what you want. They won't offer any information you don't specifically ask for. For most things, you can find answers to your questions here on BDW and most things (except the disco, plantation on beach reception) are booked when you have your planning meeting at the resort. My recommendation is to arrange a time for your meeting before you leave for Jamaica. That way you know your schedule ahead of time. Hope that helps!

I had a TA, but I booked all of the wedding-related things myself, my TA only handled the travel arrangements. I contacted the RIU about 10 months before the wedding to confirm everything with them. It takes awhile for the wedding coordinator to get back to you, but she will, don't worry.

I have a TA who I used to book my guests with. She also has already planned 1 or 2 Riu Ocho Rois weddings already. One being very recently.

Other than travel stuff, she is also taking care of booking all my wedding related stuff through Chandlyn for me, she has her email and her phone number so we were able to reserve some reception things early because they were in direct contact.

My TA never charged me anything extra (although of course she's making money off of our group), however, for the nominal difference in price (at least I hope) of not going with a TA, I'm happy that I get to reserve before my 1-2 months prior (getting married April 09), and having someone else deal with any headaches before they get to me!

I'd definitely look at a TA if it's not too late. Just for a comparison at the very least.

I can give you my girl's name if you are interested.

We were only 10 people so we just booked through an online travel agency (although I did phone them) and just dealt with whatever TA I got. But if you are booking a lot of people a TA would be better. However I think it's best to suggest your guests use your TA, but don't force them. Some brides have gotten slack from guests who don't like their TA and complain about them. If you tell guests they can book with your TA or book any other way you want then they will be happier because it is after all their money. Most will likely choose to go with your TA for simplicity sake.

i don't know what extra costs you are talking about...?

i would suggest using TA Maureen (above)...she is a travel agent specializing in weddings at Riu Ochos Rios.

she has gotten married there herself and knows the wedding details and how to get in touch with the wedding coordinator.

Thanks for all the advice! I think it might be too late for me! My wedding is about 3 months away now! I actually started out using a TA, but felt that I was doing most of the leg-work and her prices were not nearly as competitive as what I thought they should be. In fact, if I had not booked my wedding on line with ROR when I did (which was actually months ago), I would probably not have the reservation made at all with the popularity of ROR and the time slots filling up so fast. And when she didn't reply to our calls/emails... my fiancé and I decided we needed to book our rooms (which we wanted the Jacuzzi suite) fast before those got all booked too!

But if it weren't for this forum - I would be clueless! Which I will say, sometimes ignorance IS bliss.... Because ultimately the most important thing is that we are married and details can really stress me out! Amazingly, I have actually started to relax a bit and enjoy planning this whole thing....

But now I'm worried that all these great ideas for the ceremony and reception will be booked! So I sent an email directly to Chandyln with specific questions and am now waiting for a replay with a slight fear that our wedding was never really booked or that it is double booked....smile41.gif j/k.

• 3 years later...