Sign in to follow this  
melglnh2o

What was your biggest adjustment after getting married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
Our bed is a major issue though. He has a full sized tempurpedic. I HATE it. It feels like you are sleeping in wet cement. My hips and shoulders have ached since I moved in with him. It's also frigging small. He's a clingy sleeper and I am not, so it's hard for us. I liked to have the OPTION to snuggle, not forced to cuz the bed isn't big enough. We cannot wait til we buy a house and can get a HUGE bed!
OMG, I love me some cuddling for sure, but if we fall asleep like that I wake up completely sweaty & gross. So I always find myself unlatching him from me after he falls asleep! Sneaky.

You girls are all so funny.

I read that several of you were just dealing with combining your money. We haven't really talked about it but I actually prefer not to. Is that bad? I bet my hubby doesn't mind. wink.gif

I guess I have all of these things to look forward to! I already have a king size bed (once I bought my house) so I can only hope and pray that isn't an issue!smile41.gif

absolutely zero adjustment, we had been living together for 4 years and for 2 hours in the home we bought together, we already shared our money and everything. so nothing has changed at all. it's almost sad - something should have changed!

Well, we are still going to have our own, but we are going to have a larger OURS account. I hope to not have to work after we decide to have children in a few years, so I think getting an idea of the bigger picture financially now, isn't a bad idea. But we will def still keep out own accounts. It's hard to decide how much each person can contribute and keep it equal w/o having our finances combined. Since our INS is now covered by my work for a much cheaper price then he paid before, but it decreases my amount of take home money. So things like that, it would just be easier if we looked at our bills combined to an extent. I feel like I am babbling, I hope that made sense.

I don't think that is bad at all, and I actually think it's much more common now then it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melglnh2o View Post

I read that several of you were just dealing with combining your money. We haven't really talked about it but I actually prefer not to. Is that bad? I bet my hubby doesn't mind. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davematthews16 View Post
So you might think we're crazy but...The first week I moved in with my FI (we've now lived together 1 1/2 years) we pushed my double bed and his double bed together so we have 1 giant bed, but seperate sheets, mattresses, blankets, pillows. People laugh at us when we tell them, but then they realize how much sense it makes. We have slept wonderfully every night since, and I recommend it to everyone hehe
my grama and grampa do this, and have for over 50 years, but with twin beds. and i always thought it was weird, but that's beacuse i always sleep better with doug than without. i ALWAYS fall asleep either spooned up against him or at the very least with my arm reached out and touching his back, like my hand tucked in the tops of his manties.

ok, so i guess this is not really about what has changed since living together, but i guess we all sorta got off topic.

nothing has changed, we pretty much moved in together right away, but the hardest part is having to keep my messes to myself, and together doug and i are both pretty messy.

Quote:

I think you should do whatever you are comfortable with. I have a weird thing about the money...I like to keep our separate accounts. I also manage both of our accounts (my hubby sucks at paying bills). So, I just divide up our bills evenly & pay out of each account. For me, it makes me feel safe doing this cuz I'm completely type A. I also need to know that I have my own gig going on in the money department because of my step - kids. If we were 100% combined, I would flip out over some of the last minute, unplanned expenses my hubby shells out for.

Each couple is different. But you should definitely discuss & see what works for the both of you.

Nothing will really change for us...we've lived together for about 4 years and already bought a home togehter. My money is his...his is mine...just my name change will be the most to get used to. I think I'll have a bit of an identity crisis, but I'm definitely excited to take his name!

Quote:

We aren't combining our accounts. Before we always divided things equally- for example, we split groceries, bills, rent, etc. If I paid for dinner one night, he picked up the next. We don't really do this as much now. I might pay one bill and he might the next. Whoever has the money I suppose.

We never wanted to combine our bank accounts. We struggle with money issues as it is and I think it would just make it worse. My parents shared an account for years but my mom would always freak out over bills. My dad took over the bills and split their accounts. My mom's account is now just her "play" money so she never has to stress over bills.