What was your biggest adjustment after getting married?

melglnh2o

My FI and I did not live together before we got married but the biggest thing for me is sharing a bed. We have a Cal King so it is plenty big, but I always enjoyed going home at night and having my bed to myself. I think it is because I am such a light sleeper and now I get no sleep. wink.gif I guess I will get used to it.

I know many of you live or lived with your FI before you got married, but since being married what has been the biggest adjustment or something that you didn't expect?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lmao... you poor thing. I know when I first moved in with FI that was my big thing too. That and sharing my bathroom with him. He is pretty clean but having his little shavings on the sink grosses me out. I am so glad our new house has his and hers sinks.

We used to share a twin! Now a full is feeling crowded.

I had trouble adjusting to him waking me up in the morning. I got an ocean sounds CD (I uploaded the mp3 to the forum is you want it) and I sleep great.

We have been living together for 4 years. The main change after the wedding will be combining money. We are devising a game plan now. We have been splitting everything, but since we got engaged we don't really bother to write the grocery costs on the list. I'll be happy to chunk that list & not have to keep track of everything. Less paperwork.

we've been living together for just about 1 year now, and for me the biggest adjustment was sharing a bathroom... for some reason my FI cannot pee without sprinkling the edge of the toilet bowl, and sometimes even the floor if he goes in the middle of the night. it drives me absolutely mad. he doesnt wipe it up either and he is the biggest clean freak i know! its so gross. now, on days when we are going to have company or when i've just cleaned the bathroom, he sits down to pee so i dont get mad.

when i lived alone, i also used to throw stuff wherever when i got home from work because i was tired and figured why should i put it away now if i can put it away later? haha. that annoys the bajesus out of my FI so i had to stop doing it.

we have a queen bed, which fits us both fine, but when we buy a house we will be getting a king bed for sure. my FI likes to stretch out. he just left this morning for a biz trip for 5 days and he said he would miss me but he was excited to sleep in a bed by himself so he can sprawl out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melglnh2o View Post
My FI and I did not live together before we got married but the biggest thing for me is sharing a bed. We have a Cal King so it is plenty big, but I always enjoyed going home at night and having my bed to myself. I think it is because I am such a light sleeper and now I get no sleep. wink.gif I guess I will get used to it.

I know many of you live or lived with your FI before you got married, but since being married what has been the biggest adjustment or something that you didn't expect?
So you might think we're crazy but...The first week I moved in with my FI (we've now lived together 1 1/2 years) we pushed my double bed and his double bed together so we have 1 giant bed, but seperate sheets, mattresses, blankets, pillows. People laugh at us when we tell them, but then they realize how much sense it makes. We have slept wonderfully every night since, and I recommend it to everyone hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Rachel View Post
No sad.gif It's all the same. We have lived together for two years so we didn't have a lot of adjustments. We share money more now.
Me too. It feels as if nothing at all has changed. We've lived together for 5 years, owned a house together for 3+ years and have been sharing money for awhile; so no big adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
the I loved it & he said it was lonely.
Morgan ~ That is funny!! I love the different perspectives.

Thankfully Charlie and I have his and her sinks because I could see how that might caused some issues but I must say that my hubby is very very clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davematthews16 View Post
So you might think we're crazy but...The first week I moved in with my FI (we've now lived together 1 1/2 years) we pushed my double bed and his double bed together so we have 1 giant bed, but seperate sheets, mattresses, blankets, pillows. People laugh at us when we tell them, but then they realize how much sense it makes. We have slept wonderfully every night since, and I recommend it to everyone hehe
We have our own sheets. We tried to share at first so we have full sized sheets & a comforter. So now it just covers me & hangs off the bed. I've said that when we move I want two full sized beds together.

Mike gets up a lot earlier than me & he takes his comforter with him when he moves into the living room to stay warm. I told him he was giving me nightmares because I'd see this cloaked figure walking out of the room when I was half asleep.