Is registering for Photo's tacky??

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
  • VIP Member
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

There is one photographer that we are leaning towards. They offer a registry, something that's apparently a "new thing", ?? They have lil cards that can be placed in the shower invites so people know I registered with them. Part of me thinks its great then I think, is it tacky?? Joe seems to think it's great b/c we will have our pix forever and what a great gift, ya know? What do you think?

#2 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 5,752 posts
    • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

jac, being a bride, if i got your shower invite with a photog registry and a gift registry thing like for C&B too, i would totally do the photog registry because i know how important photos are for a wedding and that we cant always afford the photog we really want, so often we end up going with someone we like a little less just because its what we can afford. i say go for it!

#3 jajajaja

jajajaja
    • VIP Member
    • 9,794 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:59 AM

I don't think it's tacky but I'm not exactly ms. etiquette. I think most people understand how expensive photos are and what a great gift to the bride and groom!
      Happily married since 2008

#4 Alyssa

Alyssa
      • 11,793 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:05 PM

honestly, i wouldn't do it. i think other recent brides might understand but most people will be like WTF?

#5 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 18,759 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:08 PM

I might do it, but leave the info on your website & not do the inserts. I'd rather pitch in for a photographer than buy someone a set of tea cups. But, I do think that is a bride thing. If I recieved a registry to help cover the cost of catering I'd think WTF.

#6 boscobel

boscobel
          • VIP Member
          • 24,213 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:17 PM

I dont know. I mean, if people can do honeymoon registries and that isn't tacky, then I wouldn't see how this is....

But what if you only got like $50 towards this photog? Then you are commited to them and they are out of your budget. What would you do then??

ETA: I see now that you never said they were out of your budget, so my comment might not apply, but I guess still something to think about...

#7 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
            • VIP Member
            • 3,160 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by carly
              I dont know. I mean, if people can do honeymoon registries and that isn't tacky, then I wouldn't see how this is....

But what if you only got like $50 towards this photog? Then you are commited to them and they are out of your budget. What would you do then??

ETA: I see now that you never said they were out of your budget, so my comment might not apply, but I guess still something to think about...
              Well they arent out of our budget, thats not why i'm interested in the registry. They just offer it so I thought why not utilize it.

My sister said "If you got that in an invite to a friends shower, what would you think about it?" i said "i wouldnt give a shit, its where they registered..." so she laughed and said well theres your answer. haha but of course im still un sure cause im a freak and "indecisive" is my middle name.

#8 jajajaja

jajajaja
              • VIP Member
              • 9,794 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:34 PM

I think it's totally different than asking someone to chip in for the caterer. If I were to get a registry card for photography, I would assume that my gift would be a nice print for their wall. That I would help contribute to paying for nice things like photobooks, prints, etc. Not the services per say.
                Happily married since 2008

#9 boscobel

boscobel
                • VIP Member
                • 24,213 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

Rach - you summed it up perfectly. I wouldn't be offended at all for everything that she listed above.

I actually had someone write in a card that part of their gift to us is going to be to blow up a picture and have it framed for us. So it's kinda the same thing...

#10 Yari

Yari
                  • VIP Member
                  • 10,928 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

I think it is very unique and not tacky. I say go for it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users