• VIP Member
    • 11,939 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

Those backdoor trojans are a pain.

#13 MikkiStreak

• VIP Member
      • 2,347 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

AVG has a great suite of security programs, all of which are free.

They have a boot drive scan application, which is awesome, because a lot of retail security programs don't actually start scanning your PC for viruses deeper than the level where your desktop becomes active in the start-up process. A lot of hackers have written trojans to attack the boot files and these retail programs don't catch them at all; so the virus scans look "clean", when in fact, they are infected like crazy or keep coming back with problems.

I'm a huge AVG fan.... I've used their software for about 4 years now and have found they prevent more viruses from being installed in my PC, they don't slow down my processor, and they stay more up-to-date without requiring annual subscription plans.

Last, I never liked McAfee or Norton because they tend to install a file that is really embedded in the PC; so when a user tries to uninstall, they can remove everything except one file which is linked to a process that isn't shut down during the uninstall. So, even after using the uninstall utilites in their own application, I had to backtrack to stop the process and then manually uninstall the residual file, before I could install another security application on my PC. (And, of course, with the process still running, my PC kept performing slowly)

#14 boscobel

• VIP Member
        • 24,213 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:28 PM

Maria - always a wealth of information when it comes to the computer problems. Thanks so much for that name (AVG). I am downloading it to my home computer now and will check my work one tomorrow. I have norton at work, but always hated mcafee as well. My sister had it and it was killed her computer. It was almost like a virus itself!

#15 Jessica

• VIP Member
          • 11,939 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:31 PM

I vote for AVG as well. That's what I use. It's really so much better than Norton or McAfee.

#16 PaulaV

• VIP Member
            • 2,813 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:26 PM

That sucks Carly.
              I hope you are able to recover from it quickly.
              I gave up on hotmail a few years ago. It was more irritating than anything, so I opened a gmail account. It seems to do a good job with spam so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users