Sign in to follow this  
DallasAshli

Direct/Easy Flights from Dallas to Caribbean?

We are trying to choose a DW location. At first, I fell in love with the DR but upon further review, getting there and back is a pain. Well, getting there is fine. It's getting home that is the problem. 90% of flights have an overnight layover (every day of the week). The 10% that dont have an overnight layover have a 5 hour layover in Miami! How can this be possible? Ugh.

Anyway, now I am moving on to other destinations and need suggestions! About 20 of my 40 people will be flying from Dallas (others are from NY, LA, Denver, Baltimore/Wash DC, Pittsburgh - basically all over).

Does anyone know where I can find out which caribbean islands have direct or frequent flights from Dallas? I'm open to any island (FI doesn't want Mexico) but we are on a budget. Only hotel requirement is all-inclusive. I'm trying to avoid going on the airline website and entering every possible destination to see the available flights.

Thanks!!

You can go to the airline website and look up routes, not individual trips. They should have a schedule of flights in regular service listed. You could also try to find a TA to help out.

I did not have a fantastic experience booking as a group, but we did lock in our rates. Looking back, it was worth it, at least financially. I went with Northwest and was able to hold seats from Louisville, Kansas City, Detroit, Miami, and Philadelphia last year when the rates were low. I got my round trip seats for $480 and the same flight is now going for $979!

Look for Route Maps:

Continental Airlines - Route Maps

I will tell you that with the economy, direct flights are harder to get and are more costly.

That's right the aa.com web site will give you all of the routes. I can tell you that there are not a lot of nonstop flights from DFW to the Caribbean, most aside from SJU most of the flights to the islands will connect either in SJU and MIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasAshli View Post
We are trying to choose a DW location. At first, I fell in love with the DR but upon further review, getting there and back is a pain. Well, getting there is fine. It's getting home that is the problem. 90% of flights have an overnight layover (every day of the week). The 10% that dont have an overnight layover have a 5 hour layover in Miami! How can this be possible? Ugh.

Anyway, now I am moving on to other destinations and need suggestions! About 20 of my 40 people will be flying from Dallas (others are from NY, LA, Denver, Baltimore/Wash DC, Pittsburgh - basically all over).

Does anyone know where I can find out which caribbean islands have direct or frequent flights from Dallas? I'm open to any island (FI doesn't want Mexico) but we are on a budget. Only hotel requirement is all-inclusive. I'm trying to avoid going on the airline website and entering every possible destination to see the available flights.

Thanks!!

I did not know this at all! I just looked it up for 5 different airlines. This definitely sucks. I guess I will now have to re-think things. Dang it.

UPDATE: I just went on Expedia and unless I was reading it incorrectly this wouldn't of been a problem. I initially went through Kayak. Not sure why they are showing other flights. But, they are and that is a good thing. I was about to panic.

Thank you ErinB for that link! I am in a similar situation as Ashli. I am from Dallas and looking for any island with a direct flight. I really wanted a DR wedding as well!

I am a fellow Texas bride (from Austin) but about half of my guests are coming from Dallas/Ft. Worth area. We really really didn't want to do Mexico either at first. My first choice was St. Lucia! After looking over everything and talking with my FI, we decided that it was more important to have as many of our friends and family there as possible without giving up the DW. Otherwise, they would spend a whole day out of their 4-day vacation traveling. Mexico was just the best financial option for them and for us. We decided that we could do a honeymoon in St. Lucia or just take a vacation there for our 1st anniversary.

Now we have 60 guests booked at a beautiful, brand new 5-star all-inclusive resort in Mexico and we couldn't be happier! There are direct flights from DFW to Cancun on AA and short connections from Austin and Corpus Christi (where everyone else is coming from). The Mexico stigma was what concerned me but after reading the Azul Sensatori thread I have been nothing but super excited about it.

If you are totally opposed to Mexico, Jamaica is another option with short flights from DFW. We looked into that as well. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Shanda